[New Channel] Instant Watch Browser for Netflix

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: [New Channel] Instant Watch Browser for Netflix

Postby pjoshua5000 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 am

earldiltz wrote:I have purchased this channel and when I try to go to http://roku.pemanence.com/link to activate I cant find the website page. Can someone post the actual link ?

Try this link. It should work.
http://www.permanence.com/roku/link/link.aspx
pjoshua5000

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 am

earldiltz wrote:I have purchased this channel and when I try to go to http://roku.pemanence.com/link to activate I cant find the website page. Can someone post the actual link ?

You left out the R in peRmanance, but just in case... either of these links should work:

http://roku.permanence.com/link
http://www.permanence.com/roku/link
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby earldiltz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:06 am

Ah jeez,I'm an idiot!
earldiltz

Postby ron2112 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:42 am

I love it, love it, love it! This is really great, I used it throughout the evening last night and had absolutely no problems. Of course it would be ideal to have playback in there, but that's not your fault. Since that's my only nit to pick, consider this a rave review.

One observation: I've noticed that, on certain screen at least, the data seems to be pulled in two passes. I noticed this when going into Genres. The title information, including poster art, loads first. But my ratings and the HD status of each title don't appear until a refresh about 20-30 seconds later. I'm not sure if that's a bug, a performance compromise, or a workaround of a NF limitation. Going into a specific title shows this information immediately.

I do have one feature request (and I recognize that the above paragraph may be a deal-breaker on this one). It would be great to be able to filter by, or at least browse, HD titles only. It could be a category, or it could be an option in the Settings screen, whatever. I've become a bit of an HD snob since upgrading to my HDTV, and the signal-to-noise ratio on NF is still pretty low, especially when you can only identify HD titles by scrolling over them. The NF website has a Watch Instantly category for HD -- perhaps that could be exploited?

Great work all around. I'll be using this channel a lot!

ron
ron2112

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:53 am

When sorting by expiration, I'd gladly give-up one line (even only a half-line may suffice) of program info in the "comic book balloon" to have the expiration date there, too. (It's too big a hassle to excruciatingly enter each title's individual screen to see the expiration when one's scrubbing around looking for cut-off dates — there usually are a large number of the same date before the next batch's break occurs.) Ditto with other search criteria, e.g., availability.
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:07 am

ron2112 wrote:I love it, love it, love it! This is really great, I used it throughout the evening last night and had absolutely no problems. Of course it would be ideal to have playback in there, but that's not your fault. Since that's my only nit to pick, consider this a rave review.

Glad you like it!

ron2112 wrote:One observation: I've noticed that, on certain screen at least, the data seems to be pulled in two passes. I noticed this when going into Genres. The title information, including poster art, loads first. But my ratings and the HD status of each title don't appear until a refresh about 20-30 seconds later. I'm not sure if that's a bug, a performance compromise, or a workaround of a NF limitation. Going into a specific title shows this information immediately.

Not a bug. It's both a performance compromise AND a Netflix limitation workaround, so great observation! The first pass pulls back basic title information to populate the list as quickly as possible. The second pass pulls back your specific ratings and some additional title details (like HD availability), which is a much more expensive call. When you open a title's details, if that second pass hasn't run yet, it loads that additional details for that title immediately.

ron2112 wrote:I do have one feature request (and I recognize that the above paragraph may be a deal-breaker on this one). It would be great to be able to filter by, or at least browse, HD titles only. It could be a category, or it could be an option in the Settings screen, whatever. I've become a bit of an HD snob since upgrading to my HDTV, and the signal-to-noise ratio on NF is still pretty low, especially when you can only identify HD titles by scrolling over them. The NF website has a Watch Instantly category for HD -- perhaps that could be exploited?

Without getting too technical... the catalog I use to pull back that first pass of data doesn't seem to have accurate HD data. In fact, it only has HD availability information for television series. I tried to do an HD category, but couldn't get there with the current tools. If that changes, I'll definitely add it to the channel, as it's a feature I'd use quite a bit myself!
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby kingfisher1111 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:11 am

HOw to purchase this? Where to enter the card info and other stuff.Can someone guide me ??
kingfisher1111

Postby nushmut » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:18 am

kingfisher1111 wrote:HOw to purchase this? Where to enter the card info and other stuff.Can someone guide me ??

Head to http://owner.roku.com and log in to your account. There's a spot on the right side to add/update a payment method (credit card or Paypal). Input that info and create a Channel Store PIN, and you should be good to go!
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby mallwalker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Trapped in Favorites -
Purchased, and went into the channel/browser, selected Favorites, and was told I did not have any, which was true at that point. Info about pressing the Play button when inside Genres to select "favorites". There seemingly was no way to backtrack or go up one menu level.
At that point I was unable to exit the "no favorites yet" screen. Luckily, my Roku rebooted itself after many various & assorted key presses. Now I have added a few favorite genres.
kinda an FYI
Cheers.
mallwalker

This is a must have

Postby patchman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:19 pm

THis is one awesome netflix app...We used the lite version all of ten minutes to know this was a must have..There are so many many nice features that make searching for any kind of entertainment a joy instead of a chore...Showing all titles from a certain genres or sub genres is awesome...Being able to search for a director or actor instead of just a title is a huge improvement ,plus all the other features ...Its when when you need to go to the official netflix ui for playing your queue is when you see how nice your updated ui is........ANyways just wanted to let you know your work is very much appreciated.

Thank You,
Patchman
patchman

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:21 pm

ACK!!

Due to the overwhelming response from users, I've managed to exceed the number of linking requests that Netflix allows in a single day! Unfortunately, that means new purchases won't be able to link their account until the counter resets tonight. I am EXTREMELY sorry for the inconvenience!

Linked channels should continue to work.
Last edited by TheEndless on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheEndless

Postby leglace » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Is the $3 a one time fee or recurring?
leglace

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:35 pm

leglace wrote:Is the $3 a one time fee or recurring?

One time.
TheEndless

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:41 pm

TheEndless wrote:ACK!!

Due to the overwhelming response from users, I've managed to exceed the number of linking requests that Netflix allows in a single day! Unfortunately, that means new purchases won't be able to link their account until the counter resets tonight. I am EXTREMELY sorry for the inconvenience!

Linked channels should continue to work.

Well, I'd call that a classic good news bad news thing. :lol: :lol:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby vbathory » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Any idea when netflix will reset it.
vbathory

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion