HD- Bandwidth Necessary

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HD- Bandwidth Necessary

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:58 pm

I only have a "G" Router. Will it stream the increased bandwidth I'm going to buy, both wirelessly and ethernet-ly-if you will, lol. (12G Down)
Does the Standard Ethernet (I don't remember the spec. but it's not the latest) stream 720 P.

Or, will I need to now buy an "N" router to take advantage of the fatter pipe of 12M down?

Or, is the U-Verse Box for ATT a router as well as a modem? I tried ATT CS, and won't even get into the unbelievable waste of time that was. I'm sure I could get answers there if I wanted to put another hour into getting bounced around from dept. to dept. I'm pretty easy going, but I really could not believe how convoluted simply trying to upgrade my DSL was between their website, chat agents and phone tree. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for your help with this.
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out
JoshuaMarc1234

Re: HD- Bandwidth Necessary

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm

G will work fine as long as your internet can keep up and it looks like you are fine there.

N is better of course.

If you wish to avoid many of the problems you hear about then abandon wireless and go wired.
Gilgamesh

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:G will work fine as long as your internet can keep up and it looks like you are fine there.

N is better of course.

If you wish to avoid many of the problems you hear about then abandon wireless and go wired.

Thanks for both of the above my friends.

So, Gilg., to be clear; the G router can throughput the 12M Down stream, yes? Then maintaining a 720P Netlfix content picuture.

Hear you on going Ethernet, which is doable.

Thanks
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby jhernes » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Is a byte a byte regardless of speed? :wink:
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Postby vmps » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:I only have a "G" Router. Will it stream the increased bandwidth I'm going to buy, both wirelessly and ethernet-ly-if you will, lol. (12G Down)
Does the Standard Ethernet (I don't remember the spec. but it's not the latest) stream 720 P.

Or, will I need to now buy an "N" router to take advantage of the fatter pipe of 12M down?

G is roughly 3x faster than your internet connection (in terms of usable bandwidth) and won't be a bottleneck in theory. In practice, N will give you more headroom to deal with interference or longer distances, which may or may not actually matter in your specific circumstances. Stay with the G and consider an upgrade to N if you have rebuffering issues and a speed test shows that you can't pull 12M over the wireless network.
vmps

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:05 am

jhernes wrote:Is a byte a byte regardless of speed? :wink:

Liked that one did ya? :wink:
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:26 am

vmps wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:I only have a "G" Router. Will it stream the increased bandwidth I'm going to buy, both wirelessly and ethernet-ly-if you will, lol. (12G Down)

G is roughly 3x faster than your internet connection (in terms of usable bandwidth) and won't be a bottleneck in theory. In practice, N will give you more headroom to deal with interference or longer distances, which may or may not actually matter in your specific circumstances. Stay with the G and consider an upgrade to N if you have rebuffering issues and a speed test shows that you can't pull 12M over the wireless network.

Dun da Dun... This is the type of answer I've been looking for. You win the prize vmps! Seriously, thank you very much.

I could not get anyone at ATT to speak in even the basic specifics you did above - exactly what I waned to know.

If I may, a few other questions:

I have a new 720P TV. (Sony Bravia BX320 32" Model released in Q1 2011)

What bandwidth of download speed insures constant 720 P HD picture?

• 1. The TV looks so good on Roku I just assumed I was getting a 720 P signal, as this is what the TV indicated. (probably meant the signal was being broadcast in 720 P, not that I was actually "reproducing" this signal on my end? I've noticed the OTA channels report a 1080 P signal. Being that this is a 720 P TV... I deduce this "report" by the Sony Bravia TV is for Signal Broadcast type? Not actual signal received, yes?

• 2. Yesterday, I noticed an "HD" logo load after the 4 quality dots on Flicks Feed. Same on another channel, (never have seen this HD logo load on Netflix, AVOD usually reports I'm not getting an HD picture as well)
    Then it went away. I'm figuring it's my slow download bandwidth - of 2.5 M Max. that will not hold HD in buffer very long, yes?

Roku will only stream at 1.5 M on my 2.5M network. So, for whatever reason Roku isn't using a significant portion of my current bandwidth.

Why is this?

Can I assume Roku will only use part of my new higher bandwidth signal as well. For example if I have a 12M down signal, Roku will use roughly 2/3rds like with my 1.5 used of 2.5-not great math, but you get the idea.

• 3. If I upgrade my DSL service should I go to 6M or 12m down to insure 720 P from Roku. ( I have the HD Roku )

Will I see a huge difference if I stream in HD when it's available?

I'm really impressed with the signal I'm getting (apparently just SD) as is, both with Roku and the OTA antenna.
JoshuaMarc1234

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:32 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:

Roku will only stream at 1.5 M on my 2.5M network. So, for whatever reason Roku isn't using a significant portion of my current bandwidth.

Why is this?

Can I assume Roku will only use part of my new higher bandwidth signal as well. For example if I have a 12M down signal, Roku will use roughly 2/3rds like with my 1.5 used of 2.5-not great math, but you get the idea.

[*]3. If I upgrade my DSL service should I go to 6M or 12m down to insure 720 P from Roku. ( I have the HD Roku )

Stream speeds are average bitrates. Fast action or quick scene changes require higher bitrares, so a 1.5 Mbps bitrate stream will require a faster connection to keep up.

I have a solid 6Mbps coinnection, which gives me the best HD stream, which is 3.8Mbps, every time. Yes, you will see a big difference between SD and HD.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby JoshuaMarc1234 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 pm

kc8pql wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:

Why is this?

[*]3. If I upgrade my DSL service should I go to 6M or 12m down to insure 720 P from Roku. ( I have the HD Roku )

Stream speeds are average bitrates. Fast action or quick scene changes require higher bitrares, so a 1.5 Mbps bitrate stream will require a faster connection to keep up.

I have a solid 6Mbps coinnection, which gives me the best HD stream, which is 3.8Mbps, every time. Yes, you will see a big difference between SD and HD.

Great! I love getting competent information. Thanks so much kc. The only reason I'm thinking of pop-ing for the 12M Down, is because ATT will give me the modem ($75) It's $5 more a month and one has to use their equipment. ( So, it will take15 months for them to get their $75 back and I'm getting "double" the down speed, lol)

Though I would not be surprised if this really wasn't the case; my having to use their equipment?

I get a different story, from each person I talk to there.
JoshuaMarc1234

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion