How to set up Roku to use Surround Sound

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How to set up Roku to use Surround Sound

Postby KeaRea » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:26 pm

I have a Roku HD player hooked up using an HDMI cable to my HDTV. I also have a DVD player hooked up to the TV and Surround Sound through the DVD player.
When I turn my TV on, the DVD player has to be on and set to AUX for the sound to go through the Surround Sound. When I use the Roku, I have to turn off the DVD player completely, or we will hear a TV channel as well as the sound from the movie we're watching on Roku - the Roku movie plays through the TV speakers, and the DVD player and Surround Sound plays the TV channel that's on. How can we set up the DVD player, TV, and Roku so that everything goes through the Surround Sound, and when we choose one venue, the others turn off? We also have a VCR player, and it takes a lot of finagling to get it also to work through the Surround Sound and set correctly through the TV. We are not cabling experts - how can we set up our multiple devices so they all work correctly?
We have a DirecTV as our provider with a DirecTV DVR.
KeaRea

Re: How to set up Roku to use Surround Sound

Postby crassh76 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:41 pm

How many audio inputs do you have on your receiver and what kind are they? Your best bet may be if your TV has an audio output run it to your receiver.
Roku2 XS S# 13A16X000466
Wifi 30 Mbps
Linksys WRT160N V3
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)
crassh76

Postby evanroode2 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:49 pm

KeaRea wrote:I have a Roku HD player hooked up using an HDMI cable to my HDTV. I also have a DVD player hooked up to the TV and Surround Sound through the DVD player.
When I turn my TV on, the DVD player has to be on and set to AUX for the sound to go through the Surround Sound. When I use the Roku, I have to turn off the DVD player completely, or we will hear a TV channel as well as the sound from the movie we're watching on Roku - the Roku movie plays through the TV speakers, and the DVD player and Surround Sound plays the TV channel that's on. How can we set up the DVD player, TV, and Roku so that everything goes through the Surround Sound, and when we choose one venue, the others turn off? We also have a VCR player, and it takes a lot of finagling to get it also to work through the Surround Sound and set correctly through the TV. We are not cabling experts - how can we set up our multiple devices so they all work correctly?
We have a DirecTV as our provider with a DirecTV DVR.

Not sure I understand your current setup ...

Perhaps this helps:

You could hook up everything to the tv, and connect the tv audio out to the sound system audio in. Your tv might not
have the right amount of suitable inputs though, which might explain why you had to hook up things differently.

DVR ----- ??? ------------------
|
DVD ----- rca -------------- |
| |
roku ------ hdmi --------> TV ------> rca(red/white)/optical ---> sound system
|
VCR ----- rca --------------

Erik
evanroode2

Postby scyber » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:56 pm

It sounds like you have a combo DVD player/5.1 sound system. The primary issue with those is that typically they don't have many inputs. So you are limited to what devices you can put through the speakers. You may only have the one input that is currently being used for your cable box. What model is your DVD/5.1 system player?
scyber

Postby KeaRea » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:48 pm

We have a Panasonic SC-PT950 or SC-PT1050 Home Theatre Sound System. TV is a Mitsubishi DLP HD TV - Y Series.
I'm not sure how the cables are set up - that is my problem, as I'm not too versed in how to set them up. It worked at one time, but my son and his friends changed some things around when they added a gaming system to the mix for awhile. When they removed it, they re-plugged the cables wherever they thought they would fit.
KeaRea

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion