[Public Beta] NokNok: Media Without Borders

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

[Public Beta] NokNok: Media Without Borders

Postby smlsr » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:37 pm

NokNok - Media Without Borders
-----------------------------------------------
Today NokNok is officially opening its Public BETA to all Roku users!

We have selected Roku as the initial channel in which to offer NokNok services for public beta to interested end users. Roku provides users with a consistent and reliable means of accessing media content and we are pleased and excited to begin sharing NokNok with everyone.

What is NokNok? NokNok is a complete portal for all your media needs. NokNok provides access to any and all media. Accessed thru your media players, cell phones, game boxes, TVs, DLNA and more. It is able to detect the type of devices connecting, and mediate the content into formats which are acceptable for your player, and provide real time access to video and audio. It also provides a private social component, allowing friends, family members, and acquaintances to share media amongst each other as allowed by copyright laws.

We have built NokNok to be easy, fun, and most of all to be open. Allowing users to customize their service and content to their individual preferences. From a simple web page to more advanced plugins, and ultimately content of all types will be available.

Over the past year, we have worked daily on our Roku Channel, advancing its features, testing its abilities, and creating the technology behind the service. With easy and intuitive means of navigating to your media, NokNok simplifies and expands your content access globally. Your media can be located on a shared computer locally on your network, on your friends computer in Boston, or by accessing any of our NokNok provided (or 3rd party) content plugins.

Over the coming weeks, we will be adding various components to the service, completing our website, and adding additional content. We are encouraging everyone to please participate in providing feedback so we can better serve the needs of the user. We realize many times in developing a service you get "blinded" and sometimes lose focus on the simple things. So with your help we can all make it a better platform.

The initial rollout of NokNok Beta will strictly be based on CLOUD SERVICES. What this means is that content that is available on your Roku will be content from around the globe, streamed to you by way of our cloud servers. Mediating the transmissions into a format that Roku devices understand. In a few weeks, we will also release the NokNok LINK Controller. The LINK Controller adds support for DLNA Servers and DLNA Players, HD content transcoding, and advanced plugins not normally available in the cloud. This functionality is complete and will be made available in a controlled release as the beta progresses.

While there is much more to tell, check our website on a regular basis (http://www.noknok.net) for more information on the services and what platforms NokNok is available on. Even better, participate in the forums @ http://forums.noknok.net as we will be keeping the most up to date information released there.

For the initial release, we will be making over 1000 live streams, and about 20 plugins for web content available during this first week. Additional content will be added on a near daily basis. Please keep in mind that the content being delivered to your Roku will be transcoded through our cloud to you, so we will be limited not only by the quality of the source content but also by limiting the transcoding to SD like quality.

Additionally, for better control of our beta release, we will be limiting new signups to 15 people per day. This will allow us to gradually increase users while we work on any issues shich may arise during the beta period.

Some important links for you:

SDK and Content Providers: developers@noknok.net

** Important note to existing private NokNok Channel users. Your current channel should be deleted, and you should install the new NokNok private channel using the link provided above.

We look forward to working with you to provide one of the most advanced media services anywhere!

Thank you,
The NokNok Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would also like to take the time to thank "TheEndless". An active Roku developer and participant in the Roku forums. He has provided an excellent service to us in developing the Roku channel over the past months, and has provided terrific insight which has assisted us in many facets of our development stages here @ NokNok.

P.S. The first 48 hours we will not be limiting any signups, we will then implement the 15 per day rule to control the testing base.

smlsr

Re: [Public Beta] NokNok: Media Without Borders

Postby mommom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:08 am

Error: login/password used for User GET is Invalid

This is what I get when I try to enter the code.I have tried several different new codes,none are working for me. :cry: :cry:
mommom

Postby mommom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:20 am

I tried to remove the channel to try re-adding it again and it would not do so,it said "operation not supported at this time.
mommom

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 am

I wanted to try to use this ch BUT the very first video I tried, a Perry Mason ep from CBS played ONLY a commercial for Hangover II and it played over and over and over.

Then I tried to report the issue on the forums and I could not register. It kept saying the verification code (Which was EXTREMELY hard to read) was invalid even though I tried multiple times to get it to work.

I tried to look at pieces of the ch but just entering settings caused a reboot of my Roku.

The website is all fluff and no substance (it is quite pretty though) and I cannot make any sense of the organization of it.

While I understand that this is a beta it seems somewhere below alpha and that is disturbing. It seems that making it "pretty" took p residence over making it work correctly.

Until the very basic issues are fixed I cannot test or even report problems.

It would be nice if sign up for the forum actually worked as I would have liked to report there but it does not. Not everyone's eyes can effectively read the code display when the contrast and colors are such a mess and that makes it totally unusable.

I want to like this but, as of now, it looks to be written by kids with no eye to functionality and all attention to appearance.

Until this actually works at even a basic level and there is a way to report problems I find the beta USELESS and I want ALL my information removed from your site and I am removing the ch.

This is a VERY poor start for a ch that seems to have high ambitions.

BTW: The user name I used is the same as here so you can remove my info from the NokNok website without further contact.

Goodby NokNok I just wasted an hour.
Gilgamesh

Postby mommom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:57 am

After several reboots and removing some other channels,I was able to remove and re-add the channel,but still no go on linking my Roku.

:( :( :(
mommom

Postby smlsr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 am

mommom wrote:After several reboots and removing some other channels,I was able to remove and re-add the channel,but still no go on linking my Roku.

Its quite possible from the sounds of it, the password you have entered when signing up, may differ from what you are entering.

You can try resetting your password at this link:

http://www.noknok.net/account/ResetPassword.aspx

If you still have an issue, we can arrange to monitor the session while your linking to see what the exact problem is, and rectify it.

You can request support in the NokNok forum, or by emailing support@noknok,net

Shawn
smlsr

Postby mommom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:19 am

OK,got it done.Now to check it out!
mommom

Postby smlsr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 am

Gilgamesh wrote:I wanted to try to use this ch BUT the very first video I tried, a Perry Mason ep from CBS played ONLY a commercial for Hangover II and it played over and over and over.

Then I tried to report the issue on the forums and I could not register. It kept saying the verification code (Which was EXTREMELY hard to read) was invalid even though I tried multiple times to get it to work.

I tried to look at pieces of the ch but just entering settings caused a reboot of my Roku.

The website is all fluff and no substance (it is quite pretty though) and I cannot make any sense of the organization of it.

While I understand that this is a beta it seems somewhere below alpha and that is disturbing. It seems that making it "pretty" took p residence over making it work correctly.

Until the very basic issues are fixed I cannot test or even report problems.

It would be nice if sign up for the forum actually worked as I would have liked to report there but it does not. Not everyone's eyes can effectively read the code display when the contrast and colors are such a mess and that makes it totally unusable.

I want to like this but, as of now, it looks to be written by kids with no eye to functionality and all attention to appearance.

Until this actually works at even a basic level and there is a way to report problems I find the beta USELESS and I want ALL my information removed from your site and I am removing the ch.

This is a VERY poor start for a ch that seems to have high ambitions.

BTW: The user name I used is the same as here so you can remove my info from the NokNok website without further contact.

Goodby NokNok I just wasted an hour.

Well first off I would like to apologize for any negative experience you may have encountered. That as I am sure you would imagine is not the intent. While this is the first PUBLIC beta release, we would not want anyone to have a negative overall impression.

I will provide you a link via PM by which you can remove your account from NokNok securely.

Additionally, if anyone else is having problems with the CAPTCHA display when signing up on the forums, most browsers do in fact have the ability to ZOOM the screen, which will you to much more easily read the string. I have the same problem many times.

Shawn
smlsr

Postby mastermesh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:41 am

in the pic, you are showing CSI, etc. How do you get that sort of stuff in to this channel? Is there like a beginner tutorial somewhere on what settings you have to set this thing up for. Does it stream content directly from the internet or is it more like playon or something that uses your computer as a media server for the roku? Is dLite a server of some sort you have to set up? How do you add friends to the My Servers part?

ok.. figured it out. Just had to go in to another part of it.... Based on what I've seen so far in my 10 minutes or less of looking at this, it looks awesome! Great Work!

If any of you are having problems with the channel store immediately after adding this, it's probably because you made a lot of changes in order to make room for this thing and you need to give channel store a few minutes to update. I had to remove 3 channels to make room for it myself, and was getting errors in channel store about network issues for about 10 minutes after adding, even though the network was fine, but after that it's all good.
Last edited by mastermesh on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 am, edited 9 times in total.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby smlsr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:49 am

mastermesh wrote:in the pic, you are showing CSI, etc. How do you get that sort of stuff in to this channel? Is there like a beginner tutorial somewhere on what settings you have to set this thing up for. Does it stream content directly from the internet or is it more like playon or something that uses your computer as a media server for the roku? Is dLite a server of some sort you have to set up?

We are setting up live/online video tutorials. Which will actually guide you thru using the channel, etc.

It streams content directly from the internet to you. NokNok provides both Cloud Based Service and a localized media server with DLNA and some other features like HD, expanded plugins, and more. As for settings, nope.

dLite is an application which publishes your DLNA media, its mini version of what is offered in the full blown server.

If you would like to get to the content, here is a quick tip while the tutorial videos are being built.

From the main (what we will call root menu), Select NokNok Cloud -> My Media -> New Plugins

From there... you will see some initial content we have made available for folks. CBS, NBC, about 1000 live streams from around the world, and so on.

One thing to keep in mind, the live streams are gathered at different points thru the day. Generally these streams are not something we would consider to be reliable, but do provide access to them as a convenience to the end users. We really do not have control over them as to quality, or to if they are functioning all the time. Unlike say plugins, like CBS or NBC which is direct content.

Let me know if you have any problems, or need any assistance.

Shawn
smlsr

Postby texashildy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:43 am

It would be nice if the page that loaded when you went to http://www.noknok.net/activate gave an option to create an account instead of doing an autofill with an invalid one.

Also, please change the way to input birthdate when registering for an account. Oh, and the terms of service seem a bit succinct. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Where can I block or hide the adult content? That doesn't fly for those of us that have little kids in the house. Also, and this is nitpicky, but you have misspellings on some of the screen messages.

Before I played a Mister Rogers Neighborhood clip, a violent trailer for a R-rated kung fu movie played. It sure would be nice if there were a way to avoid that so I don't have to be right there to cover my four year old's eyes. Both the trailer and the MRN clip had unsynced audio and video.

I tried about four live streams that loaded the countdown but nothing else. I had to tell my kid they must just want you to learn how to countdown from five, because it will only play that over and over.

Good idea overall, but it needs some serious work.
Last edited by texashildy on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
texashildy

Postby smlsr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:48 am

texashildy wrote:It would be nice if the page that loaded when you went to http://www.noknok.net/activate gave an option to create an account instead of doing an autofill with an invalid one.

Also, please change the way to input birthdate when registering for an account. Oh, and the terms of service seem a bit succinct. :)

Good comments, quickly we have (1) Removed the autofill (2) Oops, remove that line from the TOS

This afternoon we will add the link on the activate page to create an account :)

Thank you
smlsr

Postby texashildy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:09 am

texashildy wrote:It would be nice if the page that loaded when you went to http://www.noknok.net/activate gave an option to create an account instead of doing an autofill with an invalid one.

EDITED TO ADD: Where can I block or hide the adult content? That doesn't fly for those of us that have little kids in the house. Also, and this is nitpicky, but you have misspellings on some of the screen messages.

Before I played a Mister Rogers Neighborhood clip, a violent trailer for a R-rated kung fu movie played. It sure would be nice if there were a way to avoid that so I don't have to be right there to cover my four year old's eyes. Both the trailer and the MRN clip had unsynced audio and video.

I tried about four live streams that loaded the countdown but nothing else. I had to tell my kid they must just want you to learn how to countdown from five, because it will only play that over and over.

Second clip to play and the audio and video are synced, but once again there was a preview that would have terrified my kid. Looks like I've learned my lesson and won't be playing around with this channel while the kids are awake. Too bad, because it seems like it has plenty of content that they would like.
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
texashildy

Postby smlsr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:22 am

texashildy wrote:EDITED TO ADD: Where can I block or hide the adult content? That doesn't fly for those of us that have little kids in the house. Also, and this is nitpicky, but you have misspellings on some of the screen messages.

Ahhh the power of BETA Testing. Ok, what I think we can implement quite easily is MPAA-RATING system on content and preroll/leaders as well. So as a user, you can set your "maximum" playable MPAA-RATING (G, PG, R, X, etc)... This would also apply to pre-roll content, and the plugins which are displayed to you.

Syncing issue. Try pressing the "loop" button on your remote once your channel is playing, after the pre-roll. This is an issue with the ROKU which doesnt like what they different sample rates in audio between commercial and video. We are in the process of re-encoding all the pre-roll and standardizing on one set sample rate for the audio as well.

When testing LIVE STREAMS, be sure to look at the description, as many times, it may say KNOWN TO BE DOWN, and such. The servers check the listing of streams 4 times each day, so in between, if a stream goes down, we may not know for 4 hours.

Let me know your thoughts on the rating system if that is something that may work?
smlsr

Postby danat275 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 am

first let me say thank you for this channel..it is something i been looking for to show up on roku in a very long time!!!lots of stuff to choose from and great picture quality!!!keep up the good work!!!
danat275

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion