FIOS + MoCA adapter + Roku = wired network FAIL?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

FIOS + MoCA adapter + Roku = wired network FAIL?

Postby ransomweaver » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 pm

I have FIOS internet and TV, with the house wired with coax, no Cat5 cable. at one coax endpoint I have the Actiontec router supplied by Verizon, with a roku XD connected to the ethernet port. Works great. There is no verizon set-top box at this tv.

At another coax endpoint I have an actiontec ECB2200 MoCA adapter, with the coax connect to "coax network" and another length of coax connecting from the adapter's "STB" to the verizon set top box. the ethernet port on the adapter connects to a Roku XD/S.

Problem: The Roku initially shows "connected with ethernet", then when it actually tries to get any data it shows failed. If you run the setup for wired it steps through and eventually fails to connect the internet. Doesn't matter if the STB is on or off. BUT if you unplug the coax between the adapter and the STB, it works.

AND if I jack the ethernet into my laptop instead of the Roku (wireless off), the internet is fine even with the STB connected to the MoCA adapter. Clearly the Roku is deficient in some way in getting an ip.

Ideas anyone? The wifi is ok, but I want to get the wired connection going.
ransomweaver

Re: FIOS + MoCA adapter + Roku = wired network FAIL?

Postby StellarRat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm trying to picture this in my head. How are you getting two end points for the two routers? It seems to me you'd have to have one router attached to initial starting point of your internet connection (the output of your cable modem) and then split off the two Rokus from there. Otherwise you'd have to have two completely different subnets (one for each router) and that seems awfully complicated for a home network. I guess you could use some coax capable hubs or switches. A network diagram would be most useful here. :D
StellarRat

Postby snarler » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 pm

When you connect the laptop and the STB at the same time and you have access to the internet on the laptop, can you try some non-web browsing based stuff if you didn't already? My line of thought (based on absolutely no technical knowledge of your devices lol) is that when the STB is plugged in, only certain ports are available to other devices on that router, and web browsing ports happen to be one of the okay ones. The Roku might be using a different port or technique for getting to the outside world and that router is blocking it when it sees the STB attached (I'm guessing if that's what's happening, it's some kind of security measure or who knows maybe anti-theft / anti-piracy.) Again, this is a W.A.G.

--
Daniel
snarler

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:17 pm

ransomweaver wrote:I have FIOS internet and TV, with the house wired with coax, no Cat5 cable. at one coax endpoint I have the Actiontec router supplied by Verizon, with a roku XD connected to the ethernet port. Works great. There is no verizon set-top box at this tv.

At another coax endpoint I have an actiontec ECB2200 MoCA adapter, with the coax connect to "coax network" and another length of coax connecting from the adapter's "STB" to the verizon set top box. the ethernet port on the adapter connects to a Roku XD/S.

Problem: The Roku initially shows "connected with ethernet", then when it actually tries to get any data it shows failed. If you run the setup for wired it steps through and eventually fails to connect the internet. Doesn't matter if the STB is on or off. BUT if you unplug the coax between the adapter and the STB, it works.

AND if I jack the ethernet into my laptop instead of the Roku (wireless off), the internet is fine even with the STB connected to the MoCA adapter. Clearly the Roku is deficient in some way in getting an ip.

Ideas anyone? The wifi is ok, but I want to get the wired connection going.

Read the information located here, paying close attention to Tip #2 (it's related to your "Problem:" and why the Roku works when you disconnect the Verizon STB from the MoCA adapter).
CalvinMcGowan

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion