Roku 2 XS HDMI question

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2 XS HDMI question

Postby Inspectorkemp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:13 pm

I just ordered a Roku 2 XS today. My tv does not have HDMI inputs. If I use an HDMI to DVI adapter for video, can I plug in the 3.5mm adapter and just use the audio from that?

I tried searching for this but I couldn't really find any relevant results.

Thanks in advance
Inspectorkemp

Re: Roku 2 XS HDMI question

Postby philsoft » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:17 pm

Inspectorkemp wrote:I just ordered a Roku 2 XS today. My tv does not have HDMI inputs. If I use an HDMI to DVI adapter for video, can I plug in the 3.5mm adapter and just use the audio from that?

Thanks in advance

That shouldn't be a problem, but you won't get 5.1 audio through that (other than possibly pro logic depending on your setup).
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Inspectorkemp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:15 pm

philsoft wrote:
Inspectorkemp wrote:I just ordered a Roku 2 XS today. My tv does not have HDMI inputs. If I use an HDMI to DVI adapter for video, can I plug in the 3.5mm adapter and just use the audio from that?

Thanks in advance

That shouldn't be a problem, but you won't get 5.1 audio through that (other than possibly pro logic depending on your setup).

I was just worried that by plugging in the HDMI cable, that it may kill the A/V connector. I've just ordered an HDMI to DVI adapter so I'll update the post once I get everything hooked up.

Thanks for the reply.
Inspectorkemp

Postby Ing5 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm

I can't speak for the new Roku2, but with previous boxes, all the output were 'on' all the time. I have the XR model. I have the Roku HDMI output going to the DVI input (adapter cable) of the TV. Then the Roku analog audio outputs (red & white) going to the TV audio. It's just like what you're planning on doing. Hopefully it should work for you.
Ing5

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion