BYUtv - Audio issue on Roku2 XS?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: BYUtv - Audio issue on Roku2 XS?

Postby socantra » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 pm

kolobkolob wrote: world wide and other places

Hmmmmm.........
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 pm

socantra wrote:
kolobkolob wrote: world wide and other places

Hmmmmm.........

dude, 15 million million members is nothing to sneeze at... :roll:
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby FixBYUTV » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Arguably, BYUtv has just as large of an international audience as a domestic one.

I think I will be switching to GoogleTV. Price has dropped to $99 and it supports BYUtv!!
FixBYUTV

Postby TheEndless » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:15 pm

FixBYUTV wrote:Arguably, BYUtv has just as large of an international audience as a domestic one.

I think I will be switching to GoogleTV. Price has dropped to $99 and it supports BYUtv!!

You might want to do a little research on why it dropped to $99 before you make that switch...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby kroylar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Well,
RokuPatrick wrote:We've reproduced and it appears to be an issue with the Roku2. Will try and get an resolution for you.

is hardly a promise that it will be fixed. And it definitely gives no time frame.

I too purchased the Roku for the express purpose of watching BYUtv and the Mormon Channel.
kroylar

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

kroylar wrote:Well,
RokuPatrick wrote:We've reproduced and it appears to be an issue with the Roku2. Will try and get an resolution for you.

is hardly a promise that it will be fixed. And it definitely gives no time frame.

I too purchased the Roku for the express purpose of watching BYUtv and the Mormon Channel.

Please go into "settings" and select "search for software updates". Roku just released a new update for the Roku 2 units that may fix your problems
stratcat96

Postby finsrud » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:11 pm

stratcat96 wrote:Please go into "settings" and select "search for software updates". Roku just released a new update for the Roku 2 units that may fix your problems

FYI - I'm running the latest version of the software (4.1) and the problem remains unresolved.
finsrud

Postby MaxDrown » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:54 pm

I am having this problem as well. The video and sound appear to get "stuck" soon after launching any show in the BYUTV app on the Roku2 device.
MaxDrown

Postby haroldskilley » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Is this a problem with the Roku2, or a problem with BYUtv's servers?
haroldskilley

Postby rkotter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:14 am

I'm having the same problem with no sound on BYUtv when viewing archived programs on the Roku 2 XD. In addition, when playing the BYUtv live stream, the Roku 2 XD restarts each time. This was a new unit right out of the box and I updated to the latest software which did not help. Then I spent a good while chatting with Roku support, which was a very disappointing experience. I got the message several times that the person I was chatting with had "left the chat" and then I would be reconnected with someone else. They said it was due to some "technical problem" that they apologized about. They had me test my network connection, which was excellent, and had me delete BYUtv and add it again. Then they said they would escalate the problem and that someone would get back to me within 2 days.
rkotter

Postby Amulek » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 am

In addition, when playing the BYUtv live stream, the Roku 2 XD restarts each time.

I experienced this last night as well. I know the Roku team was able to reproduce the missing sound issue for the on-demand content and reported that they were working on a resolution (see Page 1), but it’s unclear to me whether or not this is a new / separate issue.

I’m using a Roku 2 XS, firmware 4.1 - 1256, connected wirelessly to the network, and connected via HDMI to a 720p display. It crashed on all three of my attempts to access the channel yesterday (details below). All three occurred between 5:40 PM and 7:00 PM Central. If it can’t be reproduced in-house, just let me know and I can provide the serial number for my unit when I get home tonight so you can pull the logs.

Details of attempts:

1. Open BYU channel from My Channels list; select Live TV; box crashes*
2. Same as above (thought it was just a fluke the first time)
3. Delete channel; add channel; log into BYU account; select Live TV; box crashes

Now, thus far, I’ve only tried it using the wireless connection – though I suspect the results would be the same when wired since I was able to stream other channels wirelessly without issue.

*When the box would crash, it almost seems like it restarts twice in a row. I’m guessing that the first screen is acting as a placeholder during the error reporting and the second is for the actual boot process, but if someone could provide some insight on that it would be appreciated.
Amulek

Postby rkotter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 am

I have learned from a contact that this is a known issue with the Roku2 hardware/software. There is nothing that BYUtv can do to fix it. Roku has to fix it. There are several channels (any using HLS video) that don't work on the Roku 2. Roku is working on it.
rkotter

Postby rkotter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Roku support called me back about this problem with BYUtv. He had me reset the unit, but the problem persisted. He then said that they would send me a replacement unit. When I said that this could be a problem with all Roku 2 units, based on what I saw on this forum, he said that they would be sending me one without this problem. If so, then they may have identified a fix for the problem that requires a hardware replacement. I bought my unit directly from Roku and so I don't know if they handle it the same way for units purchased from another supplier.
rkotter

Postby kc8pql » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:37 pm

rkotter wrote:. If so, then they may have identified a fix for the problem that requires a hardware replacement.

I seriously doubt that it's a hardware problem. It's a compatibility problem with the new platform software and the channel. Roku has said as much and they will fix it. The Indian support people have no idea what's going on if it isn't in their script.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby TheEndless » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:03 pm

rkotter wrote:There are several channels (any using HLS video) that don't work on the Roku 2.

Not strictly true. While it appears to be channels that use HLS streams that exhibit this and other similar issues, it is not all HLS streams. There are plenty of channels that use HLS streams that still work fine. I believe it's down to something in the encoding that the Roku 2 doesn't like. Definitely a Roku firmware issue that I'm sure will get fixed soon enough.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion