multiple tv's

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

multiple tv's

Postby michealmyers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm thinking of ditching directv and going with roku. Question is I have 4 tv's in my house, how can I get them all connected? Will each need a roku player? Are there any options to serving multiple tv's and not just streaming to the others either.....I'm talking about having each one function on it's own.
michealmyers

Re: multiple tv's

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 pm

michealmyers wrote:I'm thinking of ditching directv and going with roku. Question is I have 4 tv's in my house, how can I get them all connected? Will each need a roku player? Are there any options to serving multiple tv's and not just streaming to the others either.....I'm talking about having each one function on it's own.

Each Roku will output one stream so, in order to have separate functionality, you will need a Roku for each TV.
Gilgamesh

Postby mchasal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Since all Roku outputs are live, you can use multiple outputs to connect to multiple TVs, but they will all be the same content. As Gilgamesh says, if you want discrete content at each TV, you need a Roku for each.
mchasal

Postby atheling » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:56 pm

mchasal wrote:Since all Roku outputs are live, you can use multiple outputs to connect to multiple TVs, but they will all be the same content. As Gilgamesh says, if you want discrete content at each TV, you need a Roku for each.

Maybe the older hardware was different, but Roku 2 has two outputs: A composite and a HDMI. Only one is active at a time. So you will need on unit per TV.
atheling

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm

atheling wrote:
mchasal wrote:Since all Roku outputs are live, you can use multiple outputs to connect to multiple TVs, but they will all be the same content. As Gilgamesh says, if you want discrete content at each TV, you need a Roku for each.

Maybe the older hardware was different, but Roku 2 has two outputs: A composite and a HDMI. Only one is active at a time. So you will need on unit per TV.

Both are active at the same time, at least the audio is. I have mine output to a stereo so I can listen to music with the TV turned off. They work together.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mchasal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:52 pm

atheling wrote:

Ok, didn't know that. Pre Roku2 hardware had all outputs active.
mchasal

Postby atheling » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:33 am

mikebdoss wrote:Both are active at the same time, at least the audio is. I have mine output to a stereo so I can listen to music with the TV turned off. They work together.

You are correct about the sound, however the AV video is switched off when HDMI is plugged in.
atheling

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion