Would it kill the Roku to add a power button?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Would it kill the Roku to add a power button?

Postby mjbxx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Seriously, this has to be the only streaming device on the market that does not have an on/off power switch. Please do not give me that it only uses 2 watts crap. In addition Roku claims they need the player to be on so it can receive updates at any time. Roku 2 has been out nearly 3 weeks and we have received a whopping 1 update to my knowledge. OH! and ask the Roku 1 owners how that infinite connection is working out for them. "I CALL BS". Granted, my LG 550 Blu-Ray takes an eternity to actually perform an update. Yet it has never interfered with streaming capabilities of Netflix, as I procrastinated to actually doing a firmware update. Might I add, It has never had rebooting issues that the Roku player experiences, NEVER!!!. Roku users have been subjected to the constant we know and we are working on it BS in relation to green screen issues, as I experienced, CES issues, and the wonderful world of WiFi connectivity. You certainly do not need me to rehash the wireless headache experiences you endure.
mjbxx

Re: Would it kill the Roku to add a power button?

Postby TheEndless » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 pm

There have been at least two updates that I'm aware of to the Roku 2 in the last three weeks. Are you seriously expecting updates more often than that?

That aside, the unit goes into standby mode when the screensaver comes on. In standby, it uses even less than the advertised 2 watts for streaming. Most home theatre equipment "power buttons" are actually "standby" buttons, so the net effect is the same, with the exception that most home theatre equipment uses a lot more than 2 watts even in standby. If you're really caught up in the perception that a power button would be of some usefulness, and don't mind waiting a few minutes for the Roku to start up every time you want to use it, then you might consider investing in a remote controlled power strip.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby nushmut » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 am

If you really feel like you need a power switch, one of those pedal switches intended for Christmas trees should work. But unless you get a master switch for your entire system, you'll still see extraneous power consumption from your other devices, as TheEndless discussed.

Oh, and not to sound contrarian, but in the 8.5 months I've had my XD|S, it's had almost no problems.

I've never had a wifi issue, no headaches or anything, and I've been wireless from the start. I've connected to three different routers using both G and N speeds, zero issues. So yes, that 'infinite connection' is working out great, thankyouverymuch. In all this time, with all the channels I use, my Roku has locked up or restarted on me about twice a month, usually on the Hulu channel. And I use my Roku every single day, for something. In comparison, the Comcastic DVR we had (only a couple months older than my Roku) would need restarting at least once a week, sometimes as much as every other day. Also, I've connected my Roku to 6 different TVs, and have never had a green screen or other issue. But that's just me.

I'll add to the curiosity, how often do you expect Roku to release updates? Once every couple weeks is a pretty short turnaround time for an consumer STB like this. My Blu-ray player has had one update in the 7 months I've had it. The recent TV update was the first in many months, if memory serves. Roku doesn't exactly have the resources of, say, Google with Chrome, where you may see stable updates every few days. Are there issues that need to be fixed? No doubt. But I'd rather they take time to minimize bugs, than to just release a bunch of updates on a whim, and cause new and different problems that only hurt their own PR status.
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby mjbxx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 am

I want the ability to shut it down and have no problems powering it on. Is that to much to ask? The LG Blu- Ray player uses no standby power when turned off and always plays Netflix flawlessly when it is powered on. As far as usefulness goes, off means no power draw and standby means a constant draw of electricity. I'll take the power off method. Seriously, It is not like Roku gives an infinite amount of updates in any given day or month. I call BS!!! And I can manually check for Roku firmware updates. Am I missing something here?
mjbxx

Postby nushmut » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 am

mjbxx wrote:I want the ability to shut it down and have no problems powering it on. The LG Blu- Ray player uses no standby power when turned off and always plays Netflix flawlessly when it is powered on. As far as usefulness goes, off means no power draw and standby means a constant draw of electricity. I'll take the power off method. Seriously, It is not like Roku gives an infinite amount of updates in any given day or month. I call BS!!! And I can manually check for Roku firmware updates. Am I missing something here?

Individual channel updates will also download in the background during standby time, so it's not just limited to firmware. But yes, you can just check manually if you prefer. As I suggested, a Christmas tree power pedal will give you what you want.

When I take my Roku from one room/TV to another (unplugging and replugging along the way), Netflix always plays flawlessly too.

(And of course Roku can't provide 'infinite' updates in any month. No one could! So how is not meeting such a lofty and impossible expectation 'BS'?)

Paid services:
nushmut

Postby TheEndless » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:38 am

mjbxx wrote:I want the ability to shut it down and have no problems powering it on. Is that to much to ask? The LG Blu- Ray player uses no standby power when turned off and always plays Netflix flawlessly when it is powered on. As far as usefulness goes, off means no power draw and standby means a constant draw of electricity. I'll take the power off method. Seriously, It is not like Roku gives an infinite amount of updates in any given day or month. I call BS!!! And I can manually check for Roku firmware updates. Am I missing something here?

At 2 watts, running 24 hours a day, for a full year, at a ridiculously high $.20/kwh average, you're talking about $3.50 per year in power consumption. At that rate, there's absolutely no compelling reason to have a power off button. Consider that, realistically, it will only be running at that level, on the high end, 25% of the time, and there's even less reason to be concerned about it.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby mjbxx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:53 am

"At 2 watts, running 24 hours a day, for a full year, at a ridiculously high $.20/kwh average, you're talking about $3.50 per year in power consumption. At that rate, there's absolutely no compelling reason to have a power off button. Consider that, realistically, it will only be running at that level, on the high end, 25% of the time, and there's even less reason to be concerned about it."

I CALL BS and you know it. Who are you to tell me what I need to accept as a compelling reason to have an an always on connection to the Roku. Your analysis is flawed. Give me an OFF button. OFF = No power consumption. DONE!!!
mjbxx

Postby erayser » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:58 am

I wanted a power button at one time, but all the 3 of my Roku boxes take forever to boot up. I do have the green screen issue once in a great while on one of our TV's (projector screen). Not sure if it's the Roku box... but to fix, I just have turn my TV off, and turn it back on again. I don't have to touch the cables or the Roku box to get the green screen to go away. It rarely happens... so it's not a big issue for us. We don't have any issues with the LCD or LED TV's. Anyhow... It would be nice to have a power button... just to have the option, but I wouldn't use it because It's faster just to wake up the device's than to reboot.
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."
erayser

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 am

TheEndless wrote:
mjbxx wrote:I want the ability to shut it down and have no problems powering it on. Is that to much to ask? The LG Blu- Ray player uses no standby power when turned off and always plays Netflix flawlessly when it is powered on. As far as usefulness goes, off means no power draw and standby means a constant draw of electricity. I'll take the power off method. Seriously, It is not like Roku gives an infinite amount of updates in any given day or month. I call BS!!! And I can manually check for Roku firmware updates. Am I missing something here?

At 2 watts, running 24 hours a day, for a full year, at a ridiculously high $.20/kwh average, you're talking about $3.50 per year in power consumption. At that rate, there's absolutely no compelling reason to have a power off button. Consider that, realistically, it will only be running at that level, on the high end, 25% of the time, and there's even less reason to be concerned about it.

I actually did a price comparison on the amount of electricity used by various devices in a typical home (mine) ... As TheEndless said, 3.50 per year is peanuts considering what your Microwave, alarm clock, DVD player/Blu-Ray player, computer, and the obscene number of other devices utilize throughout the year, considering the majority of them don't have an off switch, unless you completely unplug them. While I may be a tree-hugger by most standards, and like to plan for my son's future, the Roku's power consumption is the lowest priority on my list, compared to the carbon emissions from my vehicle, or the fact that I can't turn off my Microwave unless I unplug it. The Roku2 does a great job for power consumption, far beyond what I ever expected.

Heck, at 2-watts under HD usage, you could practically make a potato-battery to run it, if you were that needy of energy conservation :)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby TheEndless » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:13 am

mjbxx wrote:"At 2 watts, running 24 hours a day, for a full year, at a ridiculously high $.20/kwh average, you're talking about $3.50 per year in power consumption. At that rate, there's absolutely no compelling reason to have a power off button. Consider that, realistically, it will only be running at that level, on the high end, 25% of the time, and there's even less reason to be concerned about it."
I CALL BS and you know it.

Unless you're physically pressing the power button on each of your home theater components (TV, DVD player, AV Receiver, etc) to turn them each off, then I'd wager that the majority (if not all) of them are actually entering standby, most likely at a higher wattage than the Roku at full power, when you "power them off" via your remote. You can call BS all you want, but I think you'd be surprised if you actually researched the "power off" feature of the other components in your system.

Regardless, the bottom line is that the Roku doesn't offer a power button. If you don't like it, either take the suggestions offered earlier in this thread, or send it back and get a different device. Roku can't magic up a power button on the device you've already purchased, so you're out of luck either way.
TheEndless

Postby socantra » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:27 am

Unless you are physically unplugging from the wall(or going through a switched power strip) you are not really saving much electricity by turning off most small electronics these days. Those cute little wall wart transformers that everyone uses keep right on drawing power, that you pay for, whether the device is on or off.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ev ... former.htm
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby DaBronx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:46 am

mjbxx wrote:Seriously, this has to be the only streaming device on the market that does not have an on/off power switch. Please do not give me that it only uses 2 watts crap. In addition Roku claims they need the player to be on so it can receive updates at any time. Roku 2 has been out nearly 3 weeks and we have received a whopping 1 update to my knowledge. OH! and ask the Roku 1 owners how that infinite connection is working out for them. "I CALL BS". Granted, my LG 550 Blu-Ray takes an eternity to actually perform an update. Yet it has never interfered with streaming capabilities of Netflix, as I procrastinated to actually doing a firmware update. Might I add, It has never had rebooting issues that the Roku player experiences, NEVER!!!. Roku users have been subjected to the constant we know and we are working on it BS in relation to green screen issues, as I experienced, CES issues, and the wonderful world of WiFi connectivity. You certainly do not need me to rehash the wireless headache experiences you endure.

"BS here, I was just checking my messages and see you called. How can I help you?"

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3, Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:15 am

I think we need to clear one thing up before anyone thinks further on the power button issue. You LG BR player and all modern electronics still draw power after turning them off. Anything that can be turned on with a remote and, most things that can't, draw the same amount of power in standby as the Roku. The only difference is that the Roku turns itself into low power mode automatically and the other devices require you to do it.

Put a power meter on you LG when it's turned off and then compare it to the power used by the Roku in low power mode. You'll be surprised.

The only way to kill power drain is to add a physical switch that would require you to get up and push it.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby ryanxwalton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:22 am

mjbxx wrote:Seriously, this has to be the only streaming device on the market that does not have an on/off power switch. Please do not give me that it only uses 2 watts crap. In addition Roku claims they need the player to be on so it can receive updates at any time. Roku 2 has been out nearly 3 weeks and we have received a whopping 1 update to my knowledge. OH! and ask the Roku 1 owners how that infinite connection is working out for them. "I CALL BS". Granted, my LG 550 Blu-Ray takes an eternity to actually perform an update. Yet it has never interfered with streaming capabilities of Netflix, as I procrastinated to actually doing a firmware update. Might I add, It has never had rebooting issues that the Roku player experiences, NEVER!!!. Roku users have been subjected to the constant we know and we are working on it BS in relation to green screen issues, as I experienced, CES issues, and the wonderful world of WiFi connectivity. You certainly do not need me to rehash the wireless headache experiences you endure.

For the record..Roku isn't the only streaming device without a power switch. Apple TV doesn't have one either, and if you run updates on an Apple TV, you can't watch anything else until it's finished. You also have to reboot an Apple TV after an update, just like a Roku.

Before you come in here, and start flaming others, and getting all huffy, get your facts straight!
If it doesn't work, keep beating it with the hammer till it does.
ryanxwalton

Postby nushmut » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:34 am

mjbxx wrote:"At 2 watts, running 24 hours a day, for a full year, at a ridiculously high $.20/kwh average, you're talking about $3.50 per year in power consumption. At that rate, there's absolutely no compelling reason to have a power off button. Consider that, realistically, it will only be running at that level, on the high end, 25% of the time, and there's even less reason to be concerned about it."

I CALL BS and you know it. Who are you to tell me what I need to accept as a compelling reason to have an an always on connection to the Roku. Your analysis is flawed. Give me an OFF button. OFF = No power consumption. DONE!!!

OK, this is getting silly. Go to Amazon. Search 'foot switch' and drill down to Extension Cords. There's your power switch. Buy one and use it if you want.

Paid services:
nushmut

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion