Box will not update software on initial install

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Box will not update software on initial install

Postby jennj99738 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm sure this question has been addressed but I haven't had any success in searching for it.

I am trying to set up a new Roku 2 XS box. I cannot update the software. I get all green lights on the connecting to the internet screen and then it goes to the Update Available then freezes and says "Unable to connect to Roku. Please try again later. Contact Roku support at roku.com/support. (Code 011)." I have tried about 20 times. Once it got to 4% and then I got the error. I have a wireless network and it seems to connect to the internet without any problem. Any help would be appreciated.
jennj99738

Re: Box will not update software on initial install

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 pm

can you temporarily connect using ethernet in order to get the update?
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jennj99738 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 pm

I don't think I have a ethernet cable that long! Is there any other way before I start trying to figure out how to do this? Does it make a difference if I have to go back to wireless after setup?
jennj99738

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Perhaps the update server is busy. Can you try later, as in late night?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:38 pm

jennj99738 wrote:I don't think I have a ethernet cable that long! Is there any other way before I start trying to figure out how to do this? Does it make a difference if I have to go back to wireless after setup?

I think once you get the update you can switch to wireless without a problem. Since you say that it does connect to the net, you can try a few things. First you could try rebooting everything. First turn everything off, modem, router, roku, and then power on the modem and allow it time to fully set itself back up. Then the router, allowing for the same. Finally the Roku. That may solve it, if not it is possible the Roku CDN your ISP's DNS settings are sending you to is not optimum, so changing your DNS settings in the router could do it. Obviously that's slightly more advanced than just rebooting everything so I would try that last.

edited to add: and also make sure the Roku is getting a solid wireless signal. Make sure it isn't in a cabinet or obstructed at all.
stratcat96

Postby jennj99738 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:42 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Perhaps the update server is busy. Can you try later, as in late night?

Yes, I can definitely try that. What to do if that doesn't work? I guess the 50 foot ethernet cable? :!:
jennj99738

Postby jennj99738 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:43 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
jennj99738 wrote:I don't think I have a ethernet cable that long! Is there any other way before I start trying to figure out how to do this? Does it make a difference if I have to go back to wireless after setup?

I think once you get the update you can switch to wireless without a problem. Since you say that it does connect to the net, you can try a few things. First you could try rebooting everything. First turn everything off, modem, router, roku, and then power on the modem and allow it time to fully set itself back up. Then the router, allowing for the same. Finally the Roku. That may solve it, if not it is possible the Roku CDN your ISP's DNS settings are sending you to is not optimum, so changing your DNS settings in the router could do it. Obviously that's slightly more advanced than just rebooting everything so I would try that last.

edited to add: and also make sure the Roku is getting a solid wireless signal. Make sure it isn't in a cabinet or obstructed at all.

The Roku is getting a strong signal. It connects almost immediately. I hope rebooting will work because the rest of your post is in a foreign language I do not speak.

Thanks for all the assistance so far!
jennj99738

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:45 pm

make sure you do in this order of power up --- modem--->router-->Roku and allow each device time to fully reboot
stratcat96

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Perhaps but I'm not sold on the cable working if the wireless connects and isn't updating either. It's possible that it's "losing" the connection somehow but I don't know. You can't get to Netflix or anything can you? I assume if it fails the update it's not going to want to do anything. Going wired does eliminate a lot of variables however. The Roku is sold mostly in the US and it's getting kind of late on the east coast now for people to be setting their boxes up. Give it a try and see what happens.

After it fails what does it do? Does it keep retrying on it's own? If so I'd let it sit overnight.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby jennj99738 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Perhaps but I'm not sold on the cable working if the wireless connects and isn't updating either. It's possible that it's "losing" the connection somehow but I don't know. You can't get to Netflix or anything can you? I assume if it fails the update it's not going to want to do anything. Going wired does eliminate a lot of variables however. The Roku is sold mostly in the US and it's getting kind of late on the east coast now for people to be setting their boxes up. Give it a try and see what happens.

After it fails what does it do? Does it keep retrying on it's own? If so I'd let it sit overnight.

I can't get past the setup to get to Netflix or any other channel. It just goes to that error screen and asks me if I want to try again. ETA it does not retry on its own. I wish.
jennj99738

Postby jennj99738 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:19 pm

So I rebooted according to the order suggested and the box will still not update the software. I am now officially ticked. I have no other problems with any other electronics on the network, including 2 TiVo boxes so I'm not totally stupid about this stuff.

I'm not to keen on calling India for my tech support so any other suggestions?
jennj99738

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:24 pm

jennj99738 wrote:So I rebooted according to the order suggested and the box will still not update the software. I am now officially ticked. I have no other problems with any other electronics on the network, including 2 TiVo boxes so I'm not totally stupid about this stuff.

I'm not to keen on calling India for my tech support so any other suggestions?

well it was worth a shot. There are two other things I would do if I were in this situation. First try it wired. This would allow us to take any variables of wireless connections out of the loop. If you could get the roku closer to the router so a cable length you have would work that would help. If it still didn't work then we know we'd need to go to step 2, which is change DNS settings. DNS settings tell your router where you are and how to seek the CDN (computers that host content on the internet). Many times the dns numbers your isp sets you up with can send your signal on a wild goosechase so to speak, slowing everything down, or they can send you to a CDN that is having problems. Changing those settings will route you to different, and in many cases more optimal cdns.
stratcat96

Postby jennj99738 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm ba-ack. Well, I was able to locate a 25' ethernet cable and download the update and it worked fine. However, I still cannot connect wirelessly. Now, it shows the "connecting to the internet" screen. I get a green light for "connecting to the wireless network" and for "connecting to your local network." I get a red light for "connecting to the internet" which is the last step. I get the message "can't connect to the Internet. Confirm that your Internet connection is working by connecting another device. If you aren't able to connect with another device, contact your Internet Service Provider. [Code 009]

Well, of course, all other devices are working perfectly. I get an excellent connection with this laptop I'm working on right now and I'm sitting about 8 feet from the Roku box.

Any more help from y'all?
jennj99738

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:32 pm

The way to troubleshoot wireless is to turn off all firewalls, encryptions etc. Have an open network broadcasting it's ssid. I'm not saying leave it that way, just do it to see if the box connects. If it does then the router is blocking it somehow. If it doesn't then there must be a problem with the Roku.

Red dot on the third step almost always points to a router - firewall issue. I personally turn router firewalls off because my computers are protected at their level and devices like the Roku benefit from the lack of one.

You could also find out what IP the Roku is trying to use and put that in a DMZ on the router.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby jennj99738 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks for the response but I don't know how to do any of that! Can you explain a little more? I'm assuming this has to do with the settings for the router itself. I have a Linksys WRT120N router. Is there somewhere I can look to see how to do what you're suggesting?
jennj99738

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion