Angry Birds - circa 1979

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Angry Birds - circa 1979

Postby destruk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:26 am

http://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicg ... php?page=2

And this is why I'm not too impressed with that game, because it's been made/remade/remade/remade ad-infinitum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology ... ideo_games

Hopefully with the Roku2 we'll be seeing more original games, or at least ones without 300+ versions of the same gameplay.
destruk

Re: Angry Birds - circa 1979

Postby socantra » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:07 am

destruk wrote:And this is why I'm not too impressed with that game, because it's been made/remade/remade/remade ad-infinitum.

Perhaps there is a reason for that. That type of games seem to remain very popular, generation after generation. Bill Shakespeare's plots seem to have been redone a lot in movies and books also. Things that are truly "new" seem to be somewhat of a rarity, and quite often don't sell all that well.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:05 am

I have always loved video games, since my beloved Atari 2600, to the 7800, to my NES, SNES, PS2, Gamecube, PS3, and Wii. As I have gotten older though, my attention span to sit in front of the TV for hours at a time to play a video game has dwindled to next to nothing. Games like Angry Birds are simplistic, fun, and easy to put down.. much like those old Atari games. I'm sure many will disagree but I think that type of gaming is coming back around. Heck I would love it if Atari would create their "Atari's Greatest Hits" iPhone and iPad app for the Roku
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mbratch » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:48 pm

I wish Roku would implement the old Macintosh helicopter rescue game. Seriously, I loved that game! :)
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm not sure how big motion control games will be on the Roku but if they want them to take off then they need their own spot in the channel store.

I'd like to see Bejeweled just to test if it's possible for the sensors to accurately get the moves. Something without a timer though because it would take patience to get used to.

Any word on what the a and b buttons are for. Future games?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby renojim » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 pm

I've heard the B button does something in Angry Birds having to do with Golden Eggs, but I've never seen one and fear it may be something that's just off the screen on my SDTV. Or, I just haven't gotten far enough or may not be good enough to find these Easter eggs. :D

-JT
renojim

Postby shdware » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:45 am

renojim wrote:I've heard the B button does something in Angry Birds having to do with Golden Eggs, but I've never seen one and fear it may be something that's just off the screen on my SDTV. Or, I just haven't gotten far enough or may not be good enough to find these Easter eggs. :D

-JT

renojim,

SPOILER ALERT:

At the level-select screen, there is a sunburst in the background. Simply move the cursor over it and 'click' on it a few times, and you'll get a golden egg.

Wherever there are treasure chests in the game, press 'B'.
4200R [Roku 3]

Formerly:
3100X [Roku 2 XS]
2050X [Roku XD]

42" VIZIO via HDMI @ 1080p
Comcast 20Mbit
shdware

Postby cwniles » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:51 am

destruk wrote:http://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/showpage.php?page=2

And this is why I'm not too impressed with that game, because it's been made/remade/remade/remade ad-infinitum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology ... ideo_games

Hopefully with the Roku2 we'll be seeing more original games, or at least ones without 300+ versions of the same gameplay.

Well if any of those other games were playable on the Roku you might have a point but it's not like this is the millionth artillery style game for the Roku, it's the first and only....and besides, just about every successful game has been copied....it's like saying Doom, Goldeneye, Half Life etc etc etc all suck because they are just ripping off Wolfenstein 3-D.....which, if you want ot be technical, is a rip off of earlier maze style games.

and before anyone asks, yes, I would love to see Wolfenstein 3-D on the Roku.....any time is nazi killin' time!
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby destruk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Original games are hard to create. I guess that's why it annoys me how people can be enthralled beyond belief with a clone of a previous game. Why is angry birds more popular than the games it's based on? Why is everyone so impressed with Doom 3 over the original Doom? Why is Madden Football 2012 so unbelievably better than Madden Football 2011? I see it as a way for game publishers to repeatedly churn out mediocre crap to separate more fools from their money. If the game is 99 cents or $20, makes no difference, Angry Birds is the same game on Roku that you have been able to play on your cell phone for years, and it's the same game you've been playing clones of for close to 40 years. Tell me what is this obsession with this single title? BTW I'm going to eventually build a MAME cabinet - I've looked at every supported game it has, and after a couple weeks, there are 90 games I'd put on there due to their unique gameplay and quality. Most of those are from the early 80's when a game required originality. It's the quest for the "Holy Joystick".... ;)
destruk

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Everything is a rehash of something that came before it.. Movie plots are are rehashes or even remakes of movies from years ago. Modern music is just rehashing of chord progressions, beats, and lyrics from older music. Music in the 50's and 60's was built on structures of blues music from the early 20th century. Video games are much more graphically pretty variations on themes of games from 30 years ago. That's just the way it is, so crack a beer and launch those cute little birds at green piggies and turn that frown upside down :)

edit: but I'd be totally down to rock some old school Pitfall! on my Roku lol
stratcat96

Postby cwniles » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:24 pm

destruk wrote:Original games are hard to create. I guess that's why it annoys me how people can be enthralled beyond belief with a clone of a previous game. Why is angry birds more popular than the games it's based on? Why is everyone so impressed with Doom 3 over the original Doom? Why is Madden Football 2012 so unbelievably better than Madden Football 2011? I see it as a way for game publishers to repeatedly churn out mediocre crap to separate more fools from their money. If the game is 99 cents or $20, makes no difference, Angry Birds is the same game on Roku that you have been able to play on your cell phone for years, and it's the same game you've been playing clones of for close to 40 years. Tell me what is this obsession with this single title? BTW I'm going to eventually build a MAME cabinet - I've looked at every supported game it has, and after a couple weeks, there are 90 games I'd put on there due to their unique gameplay and quality. Most of those are from the early 80's when a game required originality. It's the quest for the "Holy Joystick".... ;)

oh man, I have been a (bad pun alert!) Mameiac for, jeeze, like a decade now......I don't have a dedicated cabinet but yeah, MAME is way cool.

and my phone is old so I had never seen nor played Angry Birds prior to the Roku ;-)
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:27 pm

cwniles wrote:
destruk wrote:Original games are hard to create. I guess that's why it annoys me how people can be enthralled beyond belief with a clone of a previous game. Why is angry birds more popular than the games it's based on? Why is everyone so impressed with Doom 3 over the original Doom? Why is Madden Football 2012 so unbelievably better than Madden Football 2011? I see it as a way for game publishers to repeatedly churn out mediocre crap to separate more fools from their money. If the game is 99 cents or $20, makes no difference, Angry Birds is the same game on Roku that you have been able to play on your cell phone for years, and it's the same game you've been playing clones of for close to 40 years. Tell me what is this obsession with this single title? BTW I'm going to eventually build a MAME cabinet - I've looked at every supported game it has, and after a couple weeks, there are 90 games I'd put on there due to their unique gameplay and quality. Most of those are from the early 80's when a game required originality. It's the quest for the "Holy Joystick".... ;)

oh man, I have been a (bad pun alert!) Mameiac for, jeeze, like a decade now......I don't have a dedicated cabinet but yeah, MAME is way cool.

and my phone is old so I have never seen nor played Angry Birds prior to the Roku ;-)

how do you like Mame? I was looking at trying it out but I have been happy using Stella for my Atari 2600 roms and ZSNES for my Nintendo roms... One of those coming (as a private channel of course) to play roms from a thumbdrive would be AWESOME lol
stratcat96

Postby renojim » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:53 pm

I LOVE MAME! I don't use it much anymore, but at one time I was addicted to it. I've probably pumped a million virtual quarters into my MAME setup. I haven't kept up with the hardware that's available for it, but I have a HanaHo Hot Rod controller that's great. It came with a PS/2 keyboard connection, but I converted it to a USB controller with the sacrifice of a $5 donor USB keyboard. I would think there are USB controllers out there now.

I may have to dust it off today and play me some Defender!

-JT
renojim

Postby cwniles » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm

stratcat96 wrote:how do you like Mame? I was looking at trying it out but I have been happy using Stella for my Atari 2600 roms and ZSNES for my Nintendo roms... One of those coming (as a private channel of course) to play roms from a thumbdrive would be AWESOME lol

MAME is great but does have it's drawbacks......it's an emulator so you need ROMS and well, you know ;-) secondly, as it's an emulator, when you do fire up a ROM, it thinks it is on the PCB, in the cabinet, connected to whatever controls etc. the original machine had so you run into a variety of control mapping issues. A lot of games are just fine with a mouse and keyboard or a Playstation style game controller but really, you need a 4 way d-pad as well as a 16-way not to mention a trackball, dual joysticks for games like Robotron etc.....the 'HotRod' that RenoJim mentioned and similar prebuilt controls are pretty sweet.

If you get a properly set up front end for MAME, with artwork, flyers, screenshots, history info etc you can lose yourself for hours just browsing through games and not even playing any! You stumble across games that you remember from childhood and it really brings back memories.....I came across "Jack The Giant Killer" and it totally brought me back to the late 70's in the arcade on the pier at Santa Monica beach.

oh yeah, get two controllers and man, you and a buddy on some on the old arcade fighters or two player co-op games....awesome! sorry, I get carried away sometimes :lol:
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion