What's the difference between the XS and XDS?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

What's the difference between the XS and XDS?

Postby yragha » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:52 pm

The XS is just so buggy, I'm contemplating returning it and getting an XDS.

Thanks!
yragha

Re: What's the difference between the XS and XDS?

Postby YoungEngineer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 pm

From what i understand:
1)The bluetooth remote is included and can be used with the XS
2)The netflix update for the Roku2 line up is only for the Roku2's (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41510)
3)No spdif connection on the XS, as well as no component output.

Otherwise size for the XS is smaller and i *think* i remember reading that the new players use less power than the older generations... but don't quote me on that as the power draw on all the generations has been meager. People can add if i missed anything.
YoungEngineer

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:19 pm

yragha wrote:The XS is just so buggy

I'm thinking the same. I find the Roku XD|S far less troublesome than the Roku 2 XS, and so far, I find the performance (and quality) of the Roku 2 XS inferior to that of the Roku XD|S. I'm giving Roku another week to work out the bugs in the Roku 2 XS before asking for an RMA number.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby erayser » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Roku2 XS is working great for us. It plays all the Netflix movies without the green band issue like our XR and XDS Roku 2 boxes, and we don't get the crash reboot issues that some have reported. The things we are getting used to is the remote... since the select button is below the directional pads, and the adaptive streaming. Since we only use ethernet connections on all our streaming devices... it doesn't take long for the adaptive streaming to clear up. I'm probably the minority here... but I like our Roku 2 better over our XR and XDS Roku boxes. It seems to be faster in navigation... and loading times seems to be improved. I still like the XDS, and it still perform pretty well for us... but I hope they can fix the green band issues soon. I refuse to lower the quality as a work around... since we have other Netflix streaming devices connected to the TV's our XR and XDS are connected to.

EDIT: Just notice there was an update tonight (Firmware 4.1 build 1259). You might want to try the update to see if helps with the bugs you've encountered before exchanging for the XDS.
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."
erayser

Postby jcmolet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:26 pm

The best place to get a summary of the specs for each of the New Roku player models:

http://www.roku.com/roku-products#3

...and a pretty good coverage of the older XD|S:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-r ... olBtm;rnav
jcmolet

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion