using my roku without a remote

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

using my roku without a remote

Postby mck4000 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:15 am

Im trying to use my roku without a remote but all of the threads I have read seem to be speaking to people that have a knowledge of writing code and what not. I am using a mac and have tried remoku but for some reason when I enter my I address nothing happens. This might be because I am using my internet IP address and not the roku's IP address but without my remote I do not know how to find the address. Everyone keeps saying just use the 8080 port but again I have absolutely no clue what that means. If someone could please just give me some step by step directions that I can actually comprehend I would greatly appreciate it.
mck4000

Re: using my roku without a remote

Postby jcmolet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:38 am

I am not sure if there have been changes to the remote codes recently (and not currently at home to confirm) and I have no familiarity with macs, which might make all or some of this moot. However, the "8080" refers to a TCP port that allows you to issue commands to a Roku player. On Windows machines at least, you can telnet to the Roku on port 8080 from a Command Prompt:

Example ----- C:\Users\Name>telnet 192.168.1.104:8080 (bold being an example of your Roku address)

The commands:

press up
press down
press left
press right
press select
press home
press fwd
press back
press pause

Not sure of the new commands such as Instant Replay.

It is likely that others will add more/updated information.
jcmolet

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:51 am

You can find your Roku's ip address by going to the DHCP page of your router. The listing for the Roku will not say Roku but it will be easy to spot as it is a long number probably looking like NP-xxxxxxxxxxxx but the name can be blank.

Just try the few that are blank if you do not have an identifiable entry in the DHCP table.

Also on most networks the form of the ips issued goes like this: 198.162.x.y and even the first two numbers can be different. From your routers address just change the last digit (which can be more that one digit long) until you hit the one that controls your Roku. Almost all home routers issue ip addresses in order so, if your router's ip ends in 1 start at 2 and try each number in order until you hit the correct one.

edit: I seem to remember that MAC's have a utility that will list everything connected to the local network and show their ip addresses. The utility I think is listed under a Network help page.

Your internet ip is your router's ip.
Gilgamesh

Postby jcmolet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:48 am

mck4000 wrote:....This might be because I am using my internet IP address and not the roku's IP address but without my remote I do not know how to find the address....

I missed the part regarding the fact you don't currently know the IP address of your Roku. It is probably a long shot, however, if you have an iPxxx product, you could use the DVPRemote app which has a discover feature that allows it to find Roku players on your LAN and report their specific information such as the IP address. Moreover, it is a very good remote that works well.
jcmolet

Postby gonzotek » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 am

You can also try http://remoku.tv
Last edited by gonzotek on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby JimDandySTX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 am

Just a couple of updates on using telnet to control your Roku.

First telnet is not enabled in either Windows Vista or Windows 7. You will have to go into Window's features through the control panel and enable telnet. Microsoft disabled this feature to increase security so if you turn it on beware.

The command string as shown won't work at least in Windows 7. Need to omit the colon.

>telnet 198.168.1.103 8080 will work telnet 198.168.1.103:8080 WILL NOT WORK, at least on my system running Windows 7

Once you establish a telnet session and after you type in the commands i.e. press select hit the enter key on your keyboard to execute the command.
JimDandySTX

Postby krisbee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:14 am

<Force equals mass times acceleration>, my connect reset.. I have to retype all of this.

There is an info screen on the Roku2 (might be one on the Roku1) that will tell you your ip address, but without a remote that is hard.

If you can figure out the ip address of one of your machines on the network (NOT YOUR IP TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD), just try a few ip addresses and you are bound to get it. Dont' know how to find out on your mac, do a quick google search to figure it out.

(Your computer is 192.168.1.3, for example, so try remoku with 192.168.1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.2, 1.1, etc... you will stumble on it eventually).
krisbee

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion