Cableless - How do you watch ESPN?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Cableless - How do you watch ESPN?

Postby berger6696 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 am

For those that dont have cable - how do you watch espn on your TV? We might go ahead and switch our ISP back to TWC so we can stream to our TV from our phones, but I first want to make sure thats our only option.

Thanks.
berger6696

Re: Cableless - How do you watch ESPN?

Postby socantra » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:23 am

I don't.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby Newsboys6 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 am

I believe that Time Warner does not allow you to view Espn 360 streaming service unless you have a cable package with them that includes the Espn channels.

I believe that Verizon Fios will do ESPN 360 without cable tv though.
Newsboys6

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am

socantra wrote:I don't.

+1. It's a pay/cable station I don't pay for, so I can't/don't watch it.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby -LD » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:44 am

I watch sports either at friends' houses or at the bar.
-LD

Postby cwniles » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:55 am

I have access to ESPN 360 through my ISP but I rarely use it.......the only thing I really miss about ESPN is watching Mike & Mike In The Morning as I get ready for work and watching a little Around The Horn and PTI after work......I don't even know if those shows are still on but regardless, none are enough of a draw to entice me to subscribe to a full cable TV package.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby mastermesh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:03 am

I am not a sports fanatic, but am a Free-to-air satellite fanatic. We had an fta setup til a little under a year ago. If you are so in to sports, and are serious about cutting the cord, look in to it. http://satelliteguys.us is the best forums for talking how to set it up. Why do you need espn when you can watch the direct live satellite feeds before they throw in the commercials and other crap like that?!? ;) :)

+ fta is awesome just for the oddball stuff up there. Loved watching them film good morning america on there - you get to see the news men when they are 'off air' on commercial breaks and stuff... get to see them re-record the same stories several times since they messed it up the first time, etc. I really miss the English movies with spanish subtitles on Cuban satellites and various other south american satellites. It's weird but Cuba actually watches a bunch of 1980s movies and new release stuff that was pirated sometimes... Tele Rebelde and Cubavision have some interesting oddball stuff in late night hours. Loved seeing CSI on there at 3 AM or whatever time it was. I used to record that sort of stuff on a pvr sometimes. It was neat in helping me re-learn or at least re-associate myself with the Spanish language since all the subtitles were in Spanish.

It's not on there anymore, but in the olden days a couple of years ago there was actually 2 movie channels on cuban satellites!

Remember that guy that got caught showing some weird arabic war junk in New York in 2008 on the Amazonas satellite. I remember watching the tom and jerry re-runs and other oddball crap he put on there sometimes. It's funny how the government claims there is free speech but when it comes right down to letting folks use it, they take on a whole different angle to it and will call you a terrorist if you show something they don't like.
Last edited by mastermesh on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 am

I use a computer hooked to my TV to watch the sports from ESPN (Actually ESPN3)

Of course not everyone can use this solution as ESPN3 must be enabled by your ISP.
Gilgamesh

Postby socantra » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 am

socantra wrote:I don't.

Rereading my response, I realize it seems a bit flip. I really don't mean it to. I was a long time Dish Network satellite subscriber before cutting the cord this spring.

I'm not a big sports fanatic, but I do miss baseball and what little horse racing was on ESPN. I also miss TVG and HRTV for horse racing coverage. It was hard to adjust to losing CNN news and HBO and Showtime.

There is definitely some sacrifice involved with cutting the cord. I now get my news fix through Al Jazeera, BBC, PBS and what I can find of the others on the Roku box. For baseball, I listen to the radio and use MLBTV's free game of the day, plus the Fox Network broadcast on Saturday afternoon, If you can get OTA, their is an astounding amount of material out there for free on digital TV these days.

We have had to make some adjustments. The redeeming feature is that I now have over $90.00 a month in my pocket that I didn't have before I did away with satellite and I watch a good bit of what I want on demand.. That is serious money to me and on the whole, I am every bit as entertained as I ever was before, perhaps more so.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby StellarRat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I use a computer hooked to my TV to watch the sports from ESPN (Actually ESPN3)

Of course not everyone can use this solution as ESPN3 must be enabled by your ISP.
Yeah, my ISP doesn't have a deal with ESPN 360 or ESPN3 so I can't watch it that way.
StellarRat

Postby DerekHelps » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 pm

I dont specifically watch ESPN, though my provider does offer ESPN3, so I use it for college football.

The only other sport I am heavily interested in is the NFL, I have found that for ~75/season, you can watch via GameRewind/Preason Live from nfl.com. the cost I mentioned was from last weeks set where I purchased Game Rewind + Postseason and an additional Preseason Live subscription for that cost.

I will be supplementing this with an antenna for live sunday games.

(Note: this will not give you live access to games, you will have to wait ~1day for most games.)

More information at: http://www.nfl.com/gameaccess
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby redfactionkiller » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Some ESPN content is available through the Xbox 360.
redfactionkiller

Postby ericdouglas17 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 pm

I am a new Roku user, and just suspended my DirecTV service - just doesn't seem right to pay $85/month for TV. I'll definitely feel it when football starts, though. I got an antenna, so I should get the local feeds pretty well (and in HD, too!) - and if there are other games I want to watch, I'll just have to head to the bar. I don't spend a lot at the bar (less than $15 per game), so it will work out ok, I think. Next year, I'll probably purchase MLB.TV, it seems to be a good price for the full season ($80, I think?).

I'll definitely miss occasional live events on ESPN (MNF, I suppose) - but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make right now. And if it doesn't work out, I can unsuspend DirecTV.
ericdouglas17

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 pm

ericdouglas17 wrote:I am a new Roku user, and just suspended my DirecTV service - just doesn't seem right to pay $85/month for TV. I'll definitely feel it when football starts, though. I got an antenna, so I should get the local feeds pretty well (and in HD, too!) - and if there are other games I want to watch, I'll just have to head to the bar. I don't spend a lot at the bar (less than $15 per game), so it will work out ok, I think. Next year, I'll probably purchase MLB.TV, it seems to be a good price for the full season ($80, I think?).

I'll definitely miss occasional live events on ESPN (MNF, I suppose) - but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make right now. And if it doesn't work out, I can unsuspend DirecTV.

The full season of MLB this year was $120 for premium and $100 for basic. I have enjoyed my premium subscription all year.
Buckeye911

Postby hozedhead » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:36 pm

This isn't a Roku topic, why don't you post in the appropriate forum, OP?
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion