2 Rooms with Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

2 Rooms with Roku

Postby mtapes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:46 am

I have a Roku now and love it. If I buy another one, can I watch Hulu+ in both rooms,, and can I start an Amazon Movie in one room and finish in another room?

Thanks.
mtapes

Re: 2 Rooms with Roku

Postby gonzotek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 am

mtapes wrote:I have a Roku now and love it. If I buy another one, can I watch Hulu+ in both rooms,, and can I start an Amazon Movie in one room and finish in another room?

Thanks.
Hulu+ only allows streaming to one device at a time, per account, according to the FAQ on their site: http://www.hulu.com/plus. You can have the channel installed on both Rokus, just won't be able to stream Hulu to both simultaneously without a second account. Using one or the other at a time with the single account is fine, I do this all the time.

For Amazon, you will have access to the same content from both Rokus, but I'm not 100% sure if the resume feature works across models. Worst case scenario, you'll have to fast-forward to the point you needed to resume from.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krisbee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 am

I have a bedroom and a living room roku. I do this, but you may not be able to watch the same channel in both locations at the same time - ie Netflix can play in the bedroom or living room, but not both.

Also, each unit has its own "bookmark", so you might have to fast forward.
krisbee

Postby Logan5 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 am

I have a Roku XD/S in the bedroom and a Roku 2 XS in the living room and I have had no problem starting a Netflix movie on one and continuing it on the other. I was able to resume exactly where I left off.

I also have no problem streaming Netflix on both boxes simultaneously, from the same account. As for Hulu Plus, I haven't tried to do the same with it, so I will defer to the previous poster's experience.
Logan5

Postby erayser » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:45 am

I haven't tested this in a while, but when Hulu+ was new on Roku, I could stream Hulu+ on my XR and XDS simultaneously on 2 separate TV's. However, while Hulu+ is running on Roku(s), and I try to run Hulu+ on my PS3 or iDevices, I would get the message that I can only stream on one device. I'll have to test this again when I get home. If it still works on my XR and XDS, I'll see if I can add the Roku 2 simultaneously (wishful thinking).
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."
erayser

Postby gonzotek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:09 am

krisbee wrote:I have a bedroom and a living room roku. I do this, but you may not be able to watch the same channel in both locations at the same time - ie Netflix can play in the bedroom or living room, but not both.

Also, each unit has its own "bookmark", so you might have to fast forward.
Just to clarify: The bookmark features are specific to the channel implementation: A channel could store the bookmark in the device registry, or in the cloud. If it's on the device, then other devices won't be able to retrieve the bookmark, if it's in the cloud then all the devices associated with the account will be able to resume from wherever a video was stopped.

That's also true of how many streams you can access simultaneously: it's up the the channel creator(or content provider) to set the rules for number of streams however they want. Hulu only allows one. Netflix, in my experience, allows at least two. The rule for Netflix used to be # of simultaneous streams is equal to # of discs 'out at once' on your account. So if you had 3-out-at-a-time you were entitled to 3 streams. There is still a faq on the Netflix website with this indicated(as of 8/11/11), but now that the streaming and dvd plans are uncoupled, I'm not sure what the rule is.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby SuetyStanes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

I am able to resume Netflix and Hulu+ from either of my boxes. I don't think Amazon has that feature, but I'm also not sure I've tried it.
SuetyStanes

Postby erayser » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I just got home to see if I can watch Hulu+ simultaneously on multiple Roku boxes, and it looks like I can still watch Hulu+ on my XR and XDS at the same time. However, I can't watch Hulu+ on my Roku2 with either XR or XDS on Hulu+. I knew it was wishful thinking... but I rarely watch Hulu+ in 2 separate rooms anyway.
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."
erayser

Postby mtapes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks so much to all that responded. Really appreciated. I do not want to watch the same stream at the same time, so that seems good for all content.
Regarding Amazon, it is not so much that I need to resume from the exact spot, just wanted to make sure that I could, in fact, stream the content to either room, one at a time, from the same rental purchase.

You have answered my questions, and again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Nice group! great to see.

I will decide which player to get.

Michael Tapes
mtapes

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion