do i have the right stuff to hook up a roku?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

do i have the right stuff to hook up a roku?

Postby starcat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:31 pm

hi all, sorry if this information is elsewhere on the forums. i'm considering purchasing a roku, but i'm really not sure what else (if anything) i need in order to actually get it to work (completely).

i have an old tv. just a coaxial cable i/o. nothing else. its RCA XL100

i have an new-ish dvd/vcr combo. it uses an RF modulator in the whole setup.

i have the tv hooked (via coax) into the RF modulator. then the RF modulator has the red, white, and yellow cables coming out of it, and the same red, white, and yellow cables going into the dvd/vcr.

i also have wireless internet throughout the house. its a standard linksys, and although i have it configured to NOT use the default ip address, i've connected an internet-ready blu-ray to it just fine.

that's all i have. someone, please, tell me if i am missing anything?

am i good to go? will i get both picture and sound? do i need to track down an older roku model?

thanks all (in advance). :)
starcat

Re: do i have the right stuff to hook up a roku?

Postby nushmut » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Your network should be fine. I'm not sure how the Roku handles connecting through an RF modulator, but hopefully someone else here has tried that. You might have Macrovision issues, or it might just work without an issue. Obviously the easy solution is to get a new TV (prices are pretty low these days), but I'm guessing that's not something you're interested in at the moment.
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:38 pm

I was in the same situation with my first roku. A modulator with the RWY inputs/outputs works. So you're connection will be Roku > (via RWY) Modulator > TV (via Coax). Do note that sometimes the modulators cause a bit of interference, depending on the TV, modulator, and your cables, as well as the proximity to other electronics. When mine was near an older DVD player, it would cause feedback snow on my TV whenever the Roku was playing a movie.

I never had issues with a Netflix feed. I know I had an issue with another channel, but I can't recall off-hand which it was as I only used it once.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - Just remembered ... I originally had the Roku connected through a DVD player with the RWY connections. I had to change the channel on the DVD player to something like Component 1 in order to watch the Roku. Regardless, you shouldn't have any real issues. If you do, just send me a PM and I can help you out during the connection process.
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby starcat » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 am

Thank you all VERY much.

Um, I have no idea what "Macrovision" is...can someone explain (in simple terms)?

Yes, I'm truly looking for the CHEAPEST option, and although my tv is old, and it does get those wavy lines in the picture (and has for years), it still WORKS, and buying a Roku is cheaper than buying a new TV. I'll probably opt for a new(er) TV around the holidays, presuming I still have my current job (or one of equal or greater value).

Thank you all again! :D
starcat

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:02 am

In simplest form Macrovision is copy protection. A video signal with Macrovision in it will, when passed through a Macrovision enabled device like most VCRs or DVD recorders or many other types of devices, cause video instability. In many cases that instability will manifest itself as video that looks blurry and will fade from bright to dark in fairly skort cycles.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:02 am

"Macrovision" is a copy protection method used to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted video.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby hozedhead » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 pm

starcat wrote:i have the tv hooked (via coax) into the RF modulator. then the RF modulator has the red, white, and yellow cables coming out of it, and the same red, white, and yellow cables going into the dvd/vcr.

i also have wireless internet throughout the house. its a standard linksys, and although i have it configured to NOT use the default ip address, i've connected an internet-ready blu-ray to it just fine.

that's all i have. someone, please, tell me if i am missing anything?

am i good to go? will i get both picture and sound? do i need to track down an older roku model?

thanks all (in advance). :)

If you don't want to unplug the DVD/VCR each time you want to use the Roku, you should get a switch like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/RECOTON-VS1002-Switcher-2-Inputs-1-Output/dp/B001L9OBZO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313265765&sr=1-1
Image.
Don't plug the Roku into the VCR/DVD or you will get the macrovision problem.
You don't need to buy an older Roku, either, but if you have a sound system and you want digital optical audio, then you might want to get an older model because the new ones don't have digital audio output except through HDMI. If you're going to get a new TV that has 1080p picture and you're going to subscribe to Netflix, you probably should get a newer model.
Edit: I have an XL100 TV and it has RCA input jacks. It's around 20 years old. Are you sure yours doesn't have the Red-White-Yellow jacks?
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:54 pm

I know you didn't ask but I've just got to say it. If you are using an old RCA low end model like that you'd be better off upgrading the TV sooner rather than later. Just saying, compared to new TVs you picture will look like dog poo. It's one of those things you don't realize until it's done.

I know I held on to an old CRT and soon as it died and I bought a flat screen LCD I immediately threw every old TV out that I had and upgraded them all. You can get a decent 32 inch model in the 300 price range and it will be the biggest improvement you can possibly get. After that I'd figure out how to add Netflix to it.

Trust me, after having done it I wished I had upgraded my TV's a long time ago.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby renojim » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 pm

hozedhead wrote:Don't plug the Roku into the VCR/DVD or you will get the macrovision problem.

It depends on the VCR/DVD. I have two boxes connected through VCR/DVD combo units and both work without any problems.

-JT
renojim

Postby hozedhead » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:31 pm

renojim wrote:
hozedhead wrote:Don't plug the Roku into the VCR/DVD or you will get the macrovision problem.

It depends on the VCR/DVD. I have two boxes connected through VCR/DVD combo units and both work without any problems.

-JT

I stand corrected. I guess you could try it before buying a switch that you may not need.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby socantra » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:34 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I know you didn't ask but I've just got to say it. If you are using an old RCA low end model like that you'd be better off upgrading the TV sooner rather than later. Just saying, compared to new TVs you picture will look like dog poo. It's one of those things you don't realize until it's done.

On the other hand, if its what he is used to, he won't know the difference. Many people get by just fine on old CRT televisions, slow computers and stupid cell phones. :)
I did finally buy a low end 32" Panasonic HDTV and love it dearly, but I also am still able to enjoy a couple of old SD CRT's and my computers are still slow and cell phone is still stupid. Some of us just don't know no better.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:43 pm

I understand that, but a low end TV from the 90s and a Roku hooked up through a DVD player and RF modulator is going to really really look like dog poo. We aren't talking last gen CRT or an extended definition model. The wavy lines he mentioned would ruin it alone. What size is that TV anyway, 13? 19?

I speak from experience. I understand the money for content versus the money for clarity debate. I had an RCA Dimensia 37 inch console model and when I upgraded to a 32 inch newer model in the early 2000's the difference was night and day. The difference to LCD was even more, and that was from the newer 32 inch I had. Going from an XL100 to even a low end LCD is going to be the difference between listening to music played loudly from another room and wearing ear buds.

i'm fine with a simple cell phone, and I tolerate slow computers, but I've learned that if the TV isn't right the content isn't right either, well to a certain degree.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:50 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I understand that, but a low end TV from the 90s and a Roku hooked up through a DVD player and RF modulator is going to really really look like dog poo. We aren't talking last gen CRT or an extended definition model. The wavy lines he mentioned would ruin it alone. What size is that TV anyway, 13? 19?

I speak from experience. I understand the money for content versus the money for clarity debate. I had an RCA Dimensia 37 inch console model and when I upgraded to a 32 inch newer model in the early 2000's the difference was night and day. The difference to LCD was even more, and that was from the newer 32 inch I had. Going from an XL100 to even a low end LCD is going to be the difference between listening to music played loudly from another room and wearing ear buds.

i'm fine with a simple cell phone, and I tolerate slow computers, but I've learned that if the TV isn't right the content isn't right either, well to a certain degree.

My biggest issue is the high-pitched whine that CRTs have (especially older, dying ones) - it was another one of those things that you don't notice until you've gone to a non-CRT television. The difference really is amazing.
mikebdoss

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion