BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby art_gecko » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:43 pm

I see that Roku2 has a bluetooth connection.

I have been unsuccessful when trying to synchronize as Roku support suggests that only the Roku remote is currently supported.
Can we request for true bluetooth support of Phone and Laptop devices?
art_gecko
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:48 pm

anything via Bluetooth requires drivers on both ends, and I don't think Roku even has the faculties to concentrate on driver support for everything that people want to use as far as bluetooth-enabled keyboards, laptops, etc. So probably it's probably not going to happen for a very long time, if at all
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby traal » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:10 pm

It would be useful if the Roku 2 could accept audio over bluetooth from my Android phone. I think iPhone users would also like to be able to play their mp3s on their home stereos without fiddling with wires.
traal
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:41 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby rkfly11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... 348&sr=1-2

I just bought one of these, would be great if this feature could be included in all the Roku's with bluetooth that I have and have recommended to my friends and family in the next update. I want to play music from my smartphone through my home stereo. Thanks
rkfly11
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby j.m. » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:07 pm

stratcat96 wrote:anything via Bluetooth requires drivers on both ends, and I don't think Roku even has the faculties to concentrate on driver support for everything that people want to use as far as bluetooth-enabled keyboards, laptops, etc. So probably it's probably not going to happen for a very long time, if at all

Roku would only have to implement the desired standard Bluetooth profiles such as A2DP, HID, etc. All devices that support those protocols should then work.
j.m.
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby wayloncovil » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 pm

+1 for Bluetooth pairing so I can transmit music to my Roku to play on my stereo.
wayloncovil
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:35 pm

wayloncovil wrote:+1 for Bluetooth pairing so I can transmit music to my Roku to play on my stereo.


You can already do that via the Roku remote app, except it's network-based. Which is actually better, since it's not limited by bluetooth's range.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby trekkeriii » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:42 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
wayloncovil wrote:+1 for Bluetooth pairing so I can transmit music to my Roku to play on my stereo.


You can already do that via the Roku remote app, except it's network-based. Which is actually better, since it's not limited by bluetooth's range.


That and works with non-bluetooth models of Roku.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby RickRansom » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 am

trekkeriii wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
wayloncovil wrote:+1 for Bluetooth pairing so I can transmit music to my Roku to play on my stereo.


You can already do that via the Roku remote app, except it's network-based. Which is actually better, since it's not limited by bluetooth's range.


That and works with non-bluetooth models of Roku.

As long as your Roku is a model 2400 or higher. All of the original models[2100 and below] won't work with the music streaming feature via the remote app.
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: BlueTooth support-Feature Request

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 am

rkfly11 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Bluetooth-980-000540/dp/B004VM1T5S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329467348&sr=1-2

I just bought one of these, would be great if this feature could be included in all the Roku's with bluetooth that I have and have recommended to my friends and family in the next update. I want to play music from my smartphone through my home stereo. Thanks



I have one of those and it works great! The only problem with it is in order to pair a device with it you have to push the button on top. Depending on where you want to place it (out of sight), that can be a problem. I also have this bluetooth receiver: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
and it works well too. It does not require a button press to pair with devices so it can be hidden away. It is also at least $10 cheaper than the Logitech. The only down side to this unit is the LED is very bright (I painted over mine) and it needs to face towards the room. If you face it away the range is greatly decreased. The Monoprice unit can be plugged directly into an AC outlet or extension cord, or powered by USB.

I like both units and glad I have both.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:00 am
Location: On or near Earth


Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dboff01, gkl, lyd753, ronfelder and 34 guests