ROKU 2 XS - No Sound on certain TVs

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

ROKU 2 XS - No Sound on certain TVs

Postby CiscoC80 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I recieved my Roku 2 XS the other day, taking it out of the box I hooked it up to my TV and was startled to find I heard no sound. I connected it to the same HDMI cable my old Roku HD|XR connected - No luck. I tried a different port - No luck. I tried a different cable - No luck. I put my old Roku back and it worked fine. I called support, we tried everything above again, I even did a factory reset - No luck. The tech finally had me try with the RCA Cables - it worked! So the tech told me most likely the plug on my new Roku 2 XS was deffective and Roku would ship a new one. I recieved my new device today - and again no sound. This time I did some further troubleshooting - I tried it on a different TV that has a ROKU XDS and no luck. I even tried a brand new high speed cable - No luck. I happened to go to my mother's home for the evening and was shocked to find that the sound worked just fine on her TV with my cable.

So I am wondering, is there a change in the way the sound is delivered through the new Roku 2 XS than previous models? The 2 TVs I own are both Insignia brand (Best Buy's Brand), but I could not find anything specific as to them not processing audio. My Insignia's work fine with the HDMI devices like: DirectTV, XBOX360, BluRay Players, computers - so far the Roku 2 XS is the only Item that does not work.

I was hoping I am not the only one out there with this issue. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
CiscoC80
CiscoC80

Re: ROKU 2 XS - No Sound on certain TVs

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 pm

How old are the TVs?

C. Shawn Smith

*Edit* Also provide make/model numbers as well .. would help us look into the compatibility.
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby CiscoC80 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Not even 2 Years old ... I would say one is 12 months and the other is no more than 16 months.

I own a NS-L46Q120-10A and a NS-32L450A11 (46" and 32")
CiscoC80
CiscoC80

Postby ronfelder » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Perhaps he has the box setup to deliver Dolby Digital Plus? I know if I select dolby digital on my roku 2 and try to listen from my tv using hdmi I have no sound either. I have to switch to stereo and all is well. I have no problem with my xds for it has toslink ouput. Using the Roku 2 I have to use the analog sound for the reason I mentioned above.

Ron
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:57 pm

ronfelder wrote:Perhaps he has the box setup to deliver Dolby Digital Plus? I know if I select dolby digital on my roku 2 and try to listen from my tv using hdmi I have no sound either. I have to switch to stereo and all is well. I have no problem with my xds for it has toslink ouput. Using the Roku 2 I have to use the analog sound for the reason I mentioned above.

Ron

It should be defaulting to stereo, regardless. But it's a valid conclusion. Cisco, double-check the settings when you're watching a title, specifically for 5.1. Switch over to stereo and see if that resolves the issue. Regarding Netflix, DD is only available in the + variety on Netflix.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby CiscoC80 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:14 pm

I tried both options, standard stereo and surround 5.1 - nothing. No sounds from any channel(music, video, or game) or the clicking between options come thru.

CiscoC80
CiscoC80

Postby RokuJon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:24 am

The TVs you listed have audio equalizer settings that may be interferring with the Roku 2 audio output. Try going into the setting menu for your TV and then go to the audio settings and disable the equalizer and see if that fixes the problem. We have one of these TVs in our lab that demonstrates this problem and we are investigating the root cause.

Cheers
RokuJon

Postby CiscoC80 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Well, it was worth a try but it did not work. I appreciate the suggestion.

CiscoC80
CiscoC80

Postby Tajson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 pm

I had a similar problem with my 2011 Sony Bravia through HDMI where during the Angry Birds game the sound disappeared.

I went to the game options and "muted" the sounds, then unmuted to get the sound back without leaving the game. I am not sure it is similar but you may want to check into it.
Tajson

Postby CiscoC80 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 am

Unfortunatley this did not help either.

I have resolved to hold onto this device until the Roku Engineers can come upwith a fix hopefully, otherwise I gues it will hook up to the next TV I purchase. I will just keep chacking back in this thread for updates.

Thanks all,

CiscoC80
CiscoC80

Postby qknadams » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:43 pm

I am having the exact same issue. I have a Insignia 47" LCD TV that I bought from Best Buy less than a year ago (model NS-L46Q120-10A). I've got video with no sound. I've got a first Gen roku that has no issues playing on my TV (720 display though). I've tried 3 different Roku 2 XS players that Roku RMA'd me with no success. I've tried different HDMI cables that I know work and all the HDMI ports on my TV. I've adjusted audio settings on the Roku and on my TV.. No success. The audio works fine with the standard cables but the picture quality is so bad (non hi-def) that I can't watch it. I even updated the firmware on my TV via USB but that didn't help. Sadly, I've opted to return it. :(
qknadams

Postby rbrickler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:41 pm

I have the same 47" Insignia TV from Best Buy and it appears the audio doesn't work. Support has no clue and they have stated they do not have a hardware compatibility list. Is this going to be corrected with a software update and if so when? Also, I would like to note the Generation 1 Roku's did not have an issue with audio on my TV. I am guessing that we need to move to Boxee instead? Or is there going to be an update?

I just posted this to Insignia to see if I can get some help:
I have a NS-L46Q120 that I am trying to get the HDMI audio working with my Roku2 XD. I have the updated firmware. Roku Support does not seem to have any answers beyond saying that it is a problem with the HDMI Audio hardware on the TV.... I was hoping you could shed some light on the issue or give me some ammo to send back to them to tell them why it doesn't work. I would like to note also that I had tried the original Roku a while back before the 2 came out and the audio worked just fine then....

Another thing to note, I have a Roku 2 XD model 3050R
rbrickler

Postby ScottyMac » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:04 pm

The problem is definitely not in the hdmi cables. It seems to be within the Roku unit and its audio compatibility with certain television sets. I have 2 flat screens, a Samsung and an LG. I just got my Roku 2 xs last night and hooked it up to the Samsung with no issues. Tonight I tried it on the LG and had the no sound problem....baffling. After reading this, I bypassed the speakers in the television and turned on the LG blu ray home theater ones and presto....the sound is back. I have no idea what the deal is but it definitely needs to be brought to Roku tech support's attention, which I will be doing tomorrow....
Update: Messed around with it more tonight and now the volume works fine thought the tv speakers. But again, they didn't work until I turned on the home theater speakers...and then when I turned the home theater system back off, the sound was running fine through the tv.....odd, for sure.
ScottyMac

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion