Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Live streaming example

"AFactsBrad" wrote:
http://bgmp-w.bitgravity.com/cdn-live-s1/_definst_/amazingfacts/live/feed01/playlist.m3u8

Plays fine for me in 2.9
In 4.1/Roku2 I had to set switchingStrategy = "minimum-adaptation" to get it working
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

"AFactsBrad" wrote:
Thanks for sticking with me.
I've tried this, but let me be do it again just be sure. Do you own a ROKU 2? What is your firmware version? It may make a difference

-=-
Edit: Just tried again. I commented out the other paragraphs and added your code that you provided me. Thanks for your help, but it is still not working. After I hit "PLAY" it goes to a black screen and say "receiving" at the bottom. Then, It bounces right back out and back to the screen with the play button on it. This all happens in about half a second.

I've been coding in multiple languages for over 15 years... This baffles me. Maybe I have a defective device? Can someone from ROKU verify this somehow?

Thanks in advance.

sorry, I use a Roku XDS (Roku 1) in developer mode as it's the one on a TV near my computer, I didn't try it on my R2 XS.
0 Kudos
AFactsBrad
Visitor

Hi friends,
Thanks for your replies. Let me answer some of your questions 🙂

@Cyber:
I am running build 1265.
Doesn't my CDN control the m3u8 file? I dont think I can edit this myself since the file is generated by Bitgravity.
The ROKU device i purchased from ROKU.com is the...
Roku 2 XS
4.1 build 1265
Model 3100X

@RokuChris: I'm not sure what 2.9 is... but I'll try switchingStrategy = "minimum-adaptation" and let you know how it goes.
Edit: That didnt work. Maybe im unsure where to put this variable? I added it at the beginning of the paragraph for the path to the playlist m3u8 file. I have searched the forum for more information about SwitchingStrategy with little success, also I cannot find it in the simplevideoplayer source code, i had to add it myself. Any further ideas?

@stratcat96: 🙂

Edit: added updated progress
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

2.9 is the firmware version on the Roku 1 units. I'm running 3.0 (beta) on my XDS. You are actually probably using the 3.0SDK for any coding. Since there hasn't been a release of an SDK for the 4.x firmware yet, most of us (I would think) are using our R1s still 🙂
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"AFactsBrad" wrote:
I have searched the forum for more information about SwitchingStrategy with little success, also I cannot find it in the simplevideoplayer source code, i had to add it myself. Any further ideas?

switchingStrategy is an attribute of the content-meta-data structure, documented in section 3.3 of the Component Reference.
0 Kudos
AFactsBrad
Visitor

That did it!... I also changed the bitrates to [348] because it was taking 37 seconds to load the video.

What did this parameter (videoclip.switchingStrategy = "minimum-adaptation") do? Did this revert something back to an old version? Why?
0 Kudos