Netflix "Just For Kids" interface?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Netflix "Just For Kids" interface?

Postby sharpedge » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Porsche964 wrote:All i can say is where is the DOO? Only one streaming video to watch. I would guess Scoobby Doo has be around for over 30 years with hundred of episodes.

Yes, i think it would be helpful to have a second app for the Netflix kids, i can only hope that does not mean a price jump!

While my kids love Netflix, i am struggling finding shows. Heck the new list of shows upcoming next month are from the 90's.

I am willing to pay another 2 bucks a month for a few more current video's to stream.

Clone wars is also on my list of videos needing added, i am sure George won't allow it though. :mrgreen:

Just my 2 cents.....

Scooby is my kids favorite, there used to be more than one movie on streaming. Scooby Doo is the main reason we still get the physical dvd's lol.
sharpedge

Postby almkal » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:30 am

I would LOVE it if Roku would have a "netflix for kids"' channel, would be very nice to have my que back from SpongeBob, Angelina Ballerina and all superhero cartoons.....
almkal

Postby mommom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 am

That would be a request to make to Netflix.Roku does not make the channels.
mommom

Postby sharpedge » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:18 am

mommom wrote:That would be a request to make to Netflix.Roku does not make the channels.

While that's true, I would hope that Roku have some method of communication with Netflix that has more 'weight' than you or I emailing netflix.
sharpedge

Postby mommom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:56 pm

I think actual customers and potential customers would carry more weight.
mommom

Postby kelljes » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Come on, Wii got netflix "just for kids" sometime ago...so what is going on with roku? are they slow on catching up? I thought roku and netflix were flesh and blood (or they were). Roku was the original netflix player :(
kelljes

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:11 pm

kelljes wrote:Come on, Wii got netflix "just for kids" sometime ago...so what is going on with roku? are they slow on catching up? I thought roku and netflix were flesh and blood (or they were). Roku was the original netflix player :(

Netflix is in charge of the channel - Roku's just the hardware. They decide when there's an update.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby robertm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

By now you should know how this works. The JFK channel will be available on the Roku 3 later this summer along with the RokuFit board. :roll:

But seriously we almost always get the big updates in the summer.

Oh and while I am happy this is finally available for parents, geez louise, Netflix is slow at responding to demands.

I guess a certain someone is no longer here to bash parents for wanting this...
robertm

Postby sharpedge » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:11 pm

kelljes wrote:Come on, Wii got netflix "just for kids" sometime ago...so what is going on with roku? are they slow on catching up? I thought roku and netflix were flesh and blood (or they were). Roku was the original netflix player :(

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that. Looks like it was the end of November, hopefully the Roku is next:

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/11/netflix ... n-wii.html
sharpedge

Postby haroldskilley » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Looks like they have now added this feature to PS3. Is Roku an afterthought for Netflix?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/13/netflix-kids-ps3/
haroldskilley

Postby robertm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 am

haroldskilley wrote:Looks like they have now added this feature to PS3. Is Roku an afterthought for Netflix?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/13/netflix-kids-ps3/

Again, we almost always get big updates in the summer.
robertm

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 pm

The PS3 ha had it for a while. We talked about it in the off topic section. I don't think the Roku could handle it. The PS3 has computing power to manage two interfaces simultaneously. You are greeted with two squares at start up and can bounce between them with a single click.

I'd also like to add that
1- being able to get out of it makes it a little pointless for parental issues
2- being prompted which interface to use each time is pointless for everyone. If I want to use the kid interface I can choose it on my own.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby haroldskilley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:46 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:The PS3 ha had it for a while. We talked about it in the off topic section. I don't think the Roku could handle it. The PS3 has computing power to manage two interfaces simultaneously. You are greeted with two squares at start up and can bounce between them with a single click.

I'd also like to add that
1- being able to get out of it makes it a little pointless for parental issues
2- being prompted which interface to use each time is pointless for everyone. If I want to use the kid interface I can choose it on my own.

Roku/Netflix could probably just add a separate channel "Netflix for Kids". That way there would a be 2 Netflix channels.
haroldskilley

Postby Bogo_Rath » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Any word when ROKU will have this interface? It's been quite a while since it became available to other systems.
Bogo_Rath

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 pm

No. And...
When creating a topic, please perform a search or glance over the first two pages before posting the topic, as it may have been covered already. In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.
Gilgamesh

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion