Epix issues . . . wow, this is bad.

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Epix issues . . . wow, this is bad.

Postby larrydart » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm on the 14-day Epix trial run, and so far it's been a deeply frustrating experience. Among the issues:

*Massive audio/video sync delay, with audio leading video by as much as five seconds on some titles.

*Selected movie does not start

*Title is chosen, 'play' is pushed, completely different movie starts

*After selected film completes playback, entire device is disconnected from network, initial set-up must be done over

*using seven-second look-back button results in severe macro blocking

This is with a Roku XDS being fed from a Cablevision modem via an Apple Time Capsule with a Cat 5 hard wire. I have tried unlinking and relinking, no better.

Please advise.
larrydart

Re: Epix issues . . . wow, this is bad.

Postby renojim » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:27 pm

The Epix channel definitely has some issues, so you're not alone. Sometimes rewinding/FF or pressing Replay will get the audio and video to sync. I've never seen the issues of a movie not starting or a different movie starting. Is it a particular movie or random? The blocking/pixelation issue is known and must have something to do with their encoding. I don't know if it's a hardware limitation, but I don't think Roku or Epix are inclined to do anything about it. I have nothing to base this on, but I think Epix believes this is an extra service they're providing for no additional cost, so they aren't too concerned about fixing the problems. Most of the problems are out of Roku's control other than I've had the box lock up and reboot when I've rewound or fast forwarded. That should never happen and is something Roku should fix.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Epix is such a poorly written, poorly conceived, buggy piece of crap ch that I would NEVER pay a dime for it in this form. If I did not get it for free, with my internet which I would have anyway, I would not have it in my ch lineup.

I cannot remember any other ch with such a buggy implementation ever showing up in the ch store, but there may be one or two but none with the resources of Epix. The debugging effort that Epix placed behind this must have consisted of: "OK, it worked this time so it must be ready for release.

They even have an on line queue that the ch cannot access just because they were to lazy or stupid to link it into the part of the account that Roku can see.

I STRONGLY recommend that nobody pay for the Epix service at all. Of course that will not make Epix fix their ch as most of their income comes from the various internet providers that they are in cahoots with and the tiny number of people that buy, or don't buy, their service separate from the ISPs that include it is less than the average homeless person's contribution to the gross national product.
Gilgamesh

Postby aaronwt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:05 pm

I don't have a choice with Epix. It's included with the FiOS plan I have. If I had my choice I would dump all the premium channels they include and save the money. But they do not give you that option.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby RokuTony » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey guys/gals,

Can you please let us know if your are on Roku2 or Roku1 platforms? Also please let us know the build number, HD or SD, and your internet connection speed (google speedtest if needed). I have been working on this channel today and I have not been able to reproduce these issues.

Thanks
RokuTony

Postby renojim » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:20 am

Part of the problem is that it's so inconsistent. For example, Harry Brown shows the blocking/pixelation issue when pressing Replay, but The Usual Suspects does not. The audio dropping out when rewinding is also random. I'm playing The Usual Suspects right now and I let the first couple of minutes play and then rewound for a minute. It rebuffered a few times and when the video finally resumed the audio was choppy at first before going away completely. This is on an original N1000 in SD mode. The channel is v1.0 b26. My firmware is 3.0 b2207. My DSL is ~1.2Mbps. Tomorrow I'll try it on a Roku 2.

A few days ago I returned to Shutter Island after a couple of weeks and spent a while trying to figure out where I left off in the movie, so I did a lot of FF/Rew. At one point after rewinding the box locked up and rebooted. That was on an XDS with the same firmware and channel versions as the N1000. It's been a long time since I've been offered the option to resume a movie.

When I first tried the Epix channel I was trying to play Beowulf and Grendel without much luck. I can't seem to find that movie now, which brings up the point that if you're working on the channel how about adding a search feature and/or recently watched?

Generally, watching a movie without pressing any buttons works ok, but press FF, Rew, or Replay and all bets are off.

-JT
renojim

Postby renojim » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Completely different experience on a Roku 2. I tried a few movies and couldn't find any problems. Even the Replay issue on Harry Brown isn't present on the R2.

However, I still am never presented with the option to resume a movie.

-JT
renojim

Postby donbga » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 am

For those of you not able to play Epix ... you aren't missing anything.
donbga

Postby socantra » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 am

Just got channel last night and watched The Last Airbender on Roku XDS and 2.6Mbps AT&T DSL. Picture beautiful, no issues. Watched movie straight through with no pauses, rewinds or anything else (what a concept). No rebuffers or problems.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby renojim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:43 pm

socantra wrote:Watched movie straight through with no pauses, rewinds or anything else

That's the key to getting this channel to work on a 1st gen Roku. Many people, me included, probably never "watch a movie straight through with no pauses, rewinds or anything else".

-JT
renojim

Postby socantra » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:57 pm

renojim wrote:
socantra wrote:Watched movie straight through with no pauses, rewinds or anything else

Many people, me included, probably never "watch a movie straight through with no pauses, rewinds or anything else".
-JT

As a lifelong movie fan, rather than a 'playing with my electronic toys fan', I find that bizarre. :) I know there are all sorts of reasons to pause, rewind and so on, but I like 'em like they ran in the theatre.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby renojim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:23 pm

I just don't have the attention span to sit through a whole movie (in the theater or not) and it's very rare that I find a movie that can hold my attention for any length of time. I couldn't tell you how many sittings it took me to get through Shutter Island. I should have saved myself a lot of time and fast forwarded through the first hour to hour and a half. Of course, fast forwarding in the Epix channel would have probably caused my box to reboot. :lol:

-JT
renojim

Postby bullgod » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:20 am

RokuTony wrote:Hey guys/gals,

Can you please let us know if your are on Roku2 or Roku1 platforms? Also please let us know the build number, HD or SD, and your internet connection speed (google speedtest if needed). I have been working on this channel today and I have not been able to reproduce these issues.

Thanks

I believe that it worked fine for me initially, but I've been trying to watch Paranormal Activity and about 15 minutes into the film the audio drops out, seemingly never to return. This happened yesterday and the day before. Spends a lot of time reloading as well. I have no such issues with Netflix.

Platform: Roku XDS (SD)
Build: TBD
Speed: 768k DSL

-rich
bullgod

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 am

The latest problem I encountered was on the old science fiction movie "The Angry Red Planet." When I attempted to play it it sort of started but then the audio continued without video and when I tried again the screen froze with the opening logo on the screen and the audio continued. Even trying to jump ahead the video never actually played.

I would think that this is a bad encode.
Gilgamesh

Movies that won't play

Postby mallwalker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 am

RokuTony wrote:Hey guys/gals,
Thanks

Movies that won't play, they start to load, then the app returns to the previous menu.

2100X, build 2.9, 1553. Verizon FIPOS 35/35
Message to EPIX:>Message: list of Westerns that will NOT play via Roku, but will play with IE via your web-media player.
>(partial listing, not all that will not play) ref Case 12621 also.
>
>In Old Cheyenne
>Night Time In Nevada
>Rainbow Over Texas
>Sunset on the desert
>California Firebrand
>Outlaws of Santa Fe
>The Dawn Rider
>Death Valley Outlaws
>The Fabulous Texan
>Hidden Valley Outlaws
>Oregon Trail
>Heart of the Rockies:Robert Livingston
>The Black Whip

The EPIX reply:
I apologize for the problems you're having with watching movies on the EPIX app for Roku. There are certain movies that are not compatible with the Roku player.

However, most of our movies are compatible, so be sure to check out our wide selection of everything from classics to new releases.
Thanks. | Emily |

They are in the dark.
mallwalker

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion