Roku 2 Video Too Dark

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku 2 Video Too Dark

Postby aaronwt » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:48 pm

The standard output is video levels. A consumer device that will be connected to HDTV should not be outputting PC levels. That is not teh norm > So if anything it should have been the reverse and sent out video levels to everyone. But this also isn't teh first device to make a mistake like that.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby samundsen » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 pm

So glad I saw this thread. I also noticed that the Roku 2 picture is too dark. I have mine connected through a receiver, with two other devices (blu-ray and HD-DVD player), and I can't change the settings on the TV to compensate. If this doesn't get fixed it will be a deal-breaker for me, since the Roku 1 I replaced looks just fine, and all I did was swap one for the other. The new features in the Roku 2 aren't worth the loss in picture quality caused by this issue. Also, my TV is professionally calibrated and looks absolutely gorgeous with other sources, including the Roku 1.
samundsen

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:58 pm

samundsen wrote:So glad I saw this thread. I also noticed that the Roku 2 picture is too dark. I have mine connected through a receiver, with two other devices (blu-ray and HD-DVD player), and I can't change the settings on the TV to compensate. If this doesn't get fixed it will be a deal-breaker for me, since the Roku 1 I replaced looks just fine, and all I did was swap one for the other. The new features in the Roku 2 aren't worth the loss in picture quality caused by this issue. Also, my TV is professionally calibrated and looks absolutely gorgeous with other sources, including the Roku 1.

The engineers are looking into this now, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:37 pm

atheling wrote:
If the device supports HDMI then it is supposed to have a CEA extension block in its EDID. Here is a portion of CEA extension block dumped out from the Samsung TV on my desk using the open source program edid-decode to format the data:

That's where I'm not sure the fault lies, assuming it's a fault. Either most devices don't respect the "native" or my TV doesn't report it properly. I know that the PS3 is a great machine and even it tries to send 1080i. I also know that the first Roku I had sent a signal labeled as "720p" which had horrible overscan. The Roku2 sends a "1280*720" signal that has no overscan and the picture looks better. That's why I am very doubtful that a change to fix others won't harm me. I suppose we will see when it happens.

Then again I have to wonder how many actually have a problem with full range signals. I thought all new TVs would accept it since all new TVs have VGA ports and HDMI is an offshoot of DVI.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby vandergraff » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Any update on a fix. It is pretty clear watching dark scenes that the black level is wrong.

While my TV can be set for PC or consumer black levels I will also be using my receiver to switch HDMI inputs and all the other devices send consumer levels so this is really not an option.

Yes I could send the ROKU to a different HDMI input of the TV but then how to get 5.1 audio (my TV doesn't support audio return channel on HDMI).

I just bought a new receiver with HDMI to get 5.1 audio on netflix - I would like correct black levels and 5.1 audio......soon?
vandergraff

Postby aaronwt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Did the new update address this issue?
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Sorry, guys ... this firmware release addressed various crashes and some other issues. The engineers are still working on your issue though.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Mustang » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 pm

vandergraff wrote:Any update on a fix. It is pretty clear watching dark scenes that the black level is wrong.

While my TV can be set for PC or consumer black levels I will also be using my receiver to switch HDMI inputs and all the other devices send consumer levels so this is really not an option.

Yes I could send the ROKU to a different HDMI input of the TV but then how to get 5.1 audio (my TV doesn't support audio return channel on HDMI).

I just bought a new receiver with HDMI to get 5.1 audio on netflix - I would like correct black levels and 5.1 audio......soon?

Can't you use an optical cable out from your TV to your receiver to get 5.1 audio? Would that not work? Kind of an alternate way to send the audio back to your receiver for output.
Roku XD to 1080p HDTV via 7.1 Yamaha receiver
Roku 2 XS to 720p HDTV
Ethernet Cat6a.
Comcast Xfinity Blast!, 30 mbps down, 5 mbps up
Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Cable Modem, model SB6120
NetGear N600 Dual Band 802.11n Gigabit Router, model WNDR3700
Mustang

Postby __5 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Mustang wrote:
vandergraff wrote:Any update on a fix. It is pretty clear watching dark scenes that the black level is wrong.

Can't you use an optical cable out from your TV to your receiver to get 5.1 audio? Would that not work? Kind of an alternate way to send the audio back to your receiver for output.

5.1DD+ requires HDMI connections.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby StellarRat » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:31 pm

On Netflix I noticed some of the Star Trek Next Generation looked awful dark, but other things like the Pink Panther 2 looked fine. I wonder if it has something to do with 4:3 vs. 16:9 output???
StellarRat

Postby vandergraff » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Sorry, guys ... this firmware release addressed various crashes and some other issues. The engineers are still working on your issue though.

C. Shawn Smith

Do you know when we might get a fix?

I am close to my 30 days after my purchase. I really like the ROKU 2 XS - but this issue needs to fixed if I am to use this as my primary streaming device.
vandergraff

Postby kc8pql » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:19 am

All I can say is they've said they'll fix it. They never say things like that unless they have every intention of doing so. With that said, they also never give time estimates. The last thing they want is to tell you it will be ready next Thursday and then run into an unforeseen problem that makes them miss the deadline.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mowsowit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:46 am

I also have the "way too dark" issue with my new Roku 2. Does anyone know if the Sony KDS-50A2000 hdmi input has can be adjusted for pc level input? Thanks.
mowsowit

Postby wingrider » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:52 pm

This too dark video and low audio is frustrating hopefully in short order Roku will come up with a fix, I'm switching back to my Wii for Netflix watching in the mean time.
wingrider

Postby aaronwt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:16 pm

What is the low audio issue? I've have not heard it on mine.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
aaronwt

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion