Roku2 USB Channel Movie Sorting

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku2 USB Channel Movie Sorting

Postby MaxDrown » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:01 pm

I have 266 .mp4 movies on an external hard drive. The Roku2 USB channel does not sort these movies alphabetically. How are they sorted? Is there a way to set it to alphabetical sorting?
MaxDrown

Re: Roku2 USB Channel Movie Sorting

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:08 pm

it looks like they get sorted by modified date, I haven't found a way to change it either
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Grandpa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:52 am

Yes, this is a shortcoming.
I place the movie files in folders, named #, A, B, C, etc. The folders must be created in sequence as they also are sorted by date.
I use the free program FileDate-Changer to change the time and date of the movie file. This seems to work. The program will not change folder attributes but works swiftly on many mp4 files at the same time. The files then seem to be sorted alphabetically by the ROKU box.
Get it here:
http://download.cnet.com/FileDate-Changer/3000-2248_4-10549569.html?tag=mncol;9
Grandpa

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:46 am

perhaps Shawn can add this to his weekly report about problems/features requests. The ability to sort or sort by default by alphabetical order would make using the usb channel with any sizable amount of files would be very nice to have.
stratcat96

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:14 am

stratcat96 wrote:perhaps Shawn can add this to his weekly report about problems/features requests. The ability to sort or sort by default by alphabetical order would make using the usb channel with any sizable amount of files would be very nice to have.

Done :)
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:25 am

thank you sir ;)
stratcat96

Postby MaxDrown » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:54 am

I tried changing all of the dates on the files to the current date and time, but it didn't seem to matter to the sorting on the Roku. Can someone confirm exactly which field the Roku is using for sorting?
MaxDrown

Postby Familyguy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Is this ever going to get fixed? Having files sorted by modified date is clearly not what most people would want/expect.

Also, is there any hope of getting the directory tree info cached so it doesn't take tens of seconds to display the contents of a folder that has a lot of files in it?

Seems like I'm getting not-so-gently shooed into the direction of building a media pc. :(

Thanks,
Roku2 XS retired...switched to HTPC
Denon AVR-1912 Receiver
Polk TSI500 mains/CS20 center/TSI300 surrounds
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 subwoofer
Dynex 42" 1080p display
Familyguy

Postby RickRansom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Familyguy wrote:Seems like I'm getting not-so-gently shooed into the direction of building a media pc. :(
That isn't quite a bad idea. I myself have a Roku 1 XD|S and a Roku 2 XS - both of them play fine when just using flash drives of about 8-16gb. If I want some real entertainment, I either go to Netflix or Amazon. If I want a mix of local media playback, I have a gaming rig/workstation that connects directly to the TV. If you're interested about getting an HTPC in the near future, try reading through this review for this HTPC. And no - I don't work for them and nor do I receive any compensation for mentioning their product(although somehow I wish I did :lol:). Local media streaming is not roku's forte, but it's a feature that suits casual users. But that's just me, feel free to give your thoughts about this. :D
Retired
RickRansom

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:14 pm

the only thing he's asking for is the files to be displayed in alphabetical order like it used to and is on the Roku 1. I understand his frustration, but also understand that Roku's small staff have most likely been preoccupied with other, more pressing issues.
stratcat96

Postby RickRansom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 pm

So you mean to say that there's a difference on how the official USB chanel sorts/displays the video from the Roku 1 and Roku 2 platform? intriguing. Gotta check on this this weekend. :)
Retired
RickRansom

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:42 pm

the usb channel on the Roku 1 displays the files in alphabetical order, but the R2 displays files by modify date. Obviously if you have more than a handful of files, it makes it hard to find things when its not by the alphabet
stratcat96

Postby beezle » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Changing the modified (or creation) time on the files has no effect. I have used windows powershell to make the modified times a week apart with no effect. Almost a year ago one of the mods on here from Roku said correcting the sorting was added to the 'to do' list. Clearly, it has not been done.

What amazes me is that a defective program such as the usb player could be released in the first place. Was there no internal testing or quality control? Did not a single Roku employee happen to notice that it is impossible to get files listed in alpha (or any other) order other than the seemingly random order it presents? This might be tolerable if one only had five or six files but anyone using this as a media player likely has many more. I have an online class with about 50 lectures. It is beyond annoying trying to find the next lecture.

Given that the USB feature was the reason I paid for the top line model I'm pretty disappointed. Can't Roku give the code to some high school kid to sort (pun intended) out?
beezle

Postby Familyguy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 am

Clearly, they just don't want you to use the USB player. What Roku wants is for you to use their device to stream AND PAY FOR online content.

I gave up on mine. It's now sitting in the closet and has been replaced by a small/cheap HTPC running XMBC that I built for a couple hundred bucks. I could never go back to the Roku. It's way too limiting and the bugs with playing USB sources and limitations on video containers/codecs ultimately made it unusable for me. It didn't have to be that way, but it doesn't seem that Roku cares about defects that don't affect its ability to gather money from streaming content to owners.

Best,
Roku2 XS retired...switched to HTPC
Denon AVR-1912 Receiver
Polk TSI500 mains/CS20 center/TSI300 surrounds
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 subwoofer
Dynex 42" 1080p display
Familyguy

Postby beezle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:34 am

I have the reason and I believe a work around for you. Its a windows bug but also appears to have something to do with the way Roku identifies the files.

The best way to illustrate is example:

you are ready to copy the following files

1.mp4
2.mp4
3.mp4
4.mp4

you cut and past to your roku usb device
watch closely what windows does.. tested on XP and 7

4.mp4
1.mp4
2.mp4
3.mp4

When you hook up the usb device to roku, gues what order it sorts the files in?
You guessed it - 4,1,2,3

The work-around is this: every time you copy a group of files over you will need to delete that first file (4.mp4 in the example) and then recopy it. So cut it out of the usb device, put it back on your main drive, then cut and past again. ****

This is why those who have large directories of files which were copied on many different dates see a complete mess. Clearly roku is using some fileid that is (to my knowledge) unavailable to change (unlike creation or modified dates which have no effect)

Cheers

*** here is a better way. put your list of files on pc in the order you want. select the *last* file in the list. Shift-click on the first file in the list so that they are now all selected. When you cut and past they should copy in the correct order. At least its worked for me.
beezle

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion