Ad Hoc Connection

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Ad Hoc Connection

Postby jpeach » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:23 pm

I recently purchased a Roku 2 XS and am having trouble connecting to my network because I live in a building that provides my internet. I don't have access to the actual router or the wall jack. The first time we used the internet in our apartment we had to open internet explorer and set up a password with our e-mail (although I haven't had to type in the password since...)

When I connect to the wireless on my Roku, it doesn't prompt me to type in a password (because it would only prompt me after opening an internet browser). I've tried to set up an ad hoc connection using my computer which runs Windows Vista, however every time I create an ad hoc network, I lose the connection to my building's wireless and then my Roku still can't connect to the internet.

I have also tried connecting my computer to the Roku with an ethernet cord (while being connected to my buildings wireless; but I still can't get it to connect.

Has anyone figured out a way around this/these problems?
jpeach

Re: Ad Hoc Connection

Postby mommom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 pm

I do not have a Roku2,so I wont be much help,but others will chime in soon.
mommom

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 am

Ad Hoc won't work. That's not really used for much. You can set up internet connection sharing and use the ethernet port on the computer to feed internet to the Roku. You have to bridge the connections and set up sharing which can be a little complicated. Google will be your friend for full instructions.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby jpeach » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:43 pm

I found instructions to change the settings on my computer to allow ICS pretty easily, however, I am having trouble bridging the connection and can't seem to find a good website on this. All that shows up is my wireless and one LAN network from the ethernet connecting my computer to the Roku... when I highlight them and click to bridge the network it says I need at least 2 LAN or high speed connections that are not being used by ICS...

Do you know what my problem is? or do you know a link where I can find better help on this?
jpeach

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Sorry, I don't really know. Windows 7 is a pain to me so I've reverted back to XP. I think you have to bridge them before sharing them, but that doesn't seem right either. I do remember that on my mom's laptop W7 made a fake wireless for some unknown reason so make sure you use the correct wireless.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion