Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: price for added channels

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:01 pm

wow.... Good luck then
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 pm

ukrkoz wrote:dude, got an official reference for that, dude? ever heard expression - if it's not on paper, it never happened?

cat, though I appreciate your input, it is, so far, simply your opinion, unless referenced properly. also, I'd suggest putting less emotions into your posts. you are borderline yelling at me.

But I need to kill this thread, before it gets too hot. I simply sent official clarification request to Roku support. I'll post it here later.

I suppose you believe that the regulars on a support forum would lie to you. Most people on here know what they know from experience and that experience is reenforced by many official Roku statements.

However it is unnecessary for people to look up that official reference for every question asked. If you want you can find it yourself and you seem to have taken a step toward doing that but you have your answer already and what is charged for is spelled out as much as it needs to be in the ch store unless you try REAL hard to misunderstand the clearly stated price and term. If you want more detail go to the web site of the ch in question to get exactly the answer you have heard here.

Of course you are free to waste as much of your own time as you wish.
Gilgamesh

Postby mastermesh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 pm

simple thing... put your cc in to your account, buy the buy once channels, and delete the cc from account. That way if there does end up being a monthly fee, it won't ding your account.

Most of the one time buy channels are not as wide of a variety as netflix though... so get netflix. ;)

The western channel, movie vault, horror channel, etc. are nice to have as a fast and easy way to jump to a genre you want, and yes, those are all one time fees. ;)
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby mommom » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Dude-Stratcat and Gilgamesh are considered to be sort of experts here.They have the little stars and the "valued community member" next to their name for a reason-because they make a huge effort to help everyone they can,and they know a what they are talking about.You can take their word for it.Heck,you can take my word for it,the channels that are monthly subscription say so.

Or not.
mommom

Postby ukrkoz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 pm

OK, let's make it official. Sort of.

Thank you for contacting Roku Customer Service. My name is Sakthi and I will be helping you with your query.
We understand from your email that you want to know the price details for the paid channels.
We apologize for the inconvenience and delay in responding to your valuable query.

Regarding the Movie Vault channel, its a one time charge of $3.99.

To know more about the other paid channel kindly visit the following website

http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/public-all-az

This website gives the list of all channels available in Roku. You can choose the channel you need, and that gives the brief description and price details about that channel.

Please feel free to email us for further queries.
Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku.
Regards,
Sakthi
Roku Customer Support

Reason I say "sort of" is they still did not answer my question, if ANY channel with a "buy $x.xx" amount is one time fee or not. I sent 2nd inquiry.

Btw, I fell in love with Nowhere TV as of yesterday. gods, they got ton of stuff there. a lot does not work, but otherwise - I am set for long, long, long time.
ukrkoz

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:45 pm

What has been said above by those with the Valued Community Member rank is correct.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby nushmut » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks Shawn!
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby pianotech » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Monthly subscriptions are clearly marked. Why do some people have a knack of making things harder than they need to be?
pianotech

Postby busterboy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:38 pm

My wife likes to watch old movies and added Movie Vault for $3.99. Sounds like a bargain but the quality was so bad it was unwatchable.
Contacted Roku but they could not do anything to fix the problem. $4 down the drain.

I would have expected that Roku would stand behind any app they offer.
busterboy

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:51 pm

busterboy wrote:My wife likes to watch old movies and added Movie Vault for $3.99. Sounds like a bargain but the quality was so bad it was unwatchable.
Contacted Roku but they could not do anything to fix the problem. $4 down the drain.

Roku is just the hardware here - Movie Vault took your money and offered you a product you didn't find satisfactory, not Roku.
mikebdoss

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 pm

busterboy wrote:My wife likes to watch old movies and added Movie Vault for $3.99. Sounds like a bargain but the quality was so bad it was unwatchable.

movie vault is provided by flingsoft. you can contact them for support at one of these links

http://www.flingsoft.com/support/
http://www.flingsoft.com/contact/
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:00 pm

if you were expecting Blu-Ray quality digital transfers of movies that are 50+ years old I could see how you'd be disappointed.
stratcat96

Postby Shail » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 pm

I too have been searching for a difinitive answer to channel prices and haven't found one. After
seeing the responses from valued member of the community it has put me futher off from buying Ruku. If you can't get a straight polite answer from a valued member and you only get specific info on one channel from customer support it makes me a little leery. As a moderator for 2 forums I'd say if you can't take a little what you believe to be rudeness from people that are interested in buying you shouldn't answer questions, valued member or not, those responses will put people off from purchasing if they believe they can not get a polite answer to their concerns.

If all is up and up then why the anger and why so little info? Not saying the company is not straight but with answers like the few I read I really don't want to come back. Why wouldn't people want to check on the fine print from the company itself. I've been caught up in the fine print problem before and I'm very careful now. Because you have been a customer and know all the ins and outs you should be helpful and not alienate persons that know nothing about the system. Don't take things so personal your not helping anyone especially the company you're obvious are very loyal to.

I have looked at the link provided by Customer Service and appreciate it but feel the company should write a comprehensive price guide in a easy viewable format . Also would like to see better price info. Is it totally free, is it a free trial, more than a one time fee, is the only fee to the site or is there a charge from Roku as well? I shouldn't have to click through all the channels to find the prices and I shouldn't have to try it and then delete just in case there are further charges, it should be very plain and it doesn't seem to be. When you don't have money to throw around you are very careful what you sign on for.
Shail

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Shail wrote:I too have been searching for a difinitive answer to channel prices and haven't found one.

That quest was answered numerous times in this post. For example:

pianotech wrote:Monthly subscriptions are clearly marked.

Channels that require a subscription will be noted as such. If you run across one that isn't, just PM me the channel name, and I'll forward it over to QA to investigate.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby TheEndless » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Shail wrote:I too have been searching for a difinitive answer to channel prices and haven't found one.

That quest was answered numerous times in this post. For example:
pianotech wrote:Monthly subscriptions are clearly marked.

Channels that require a subscription will be noted as such. If you run across one that isn't, just PM me the channel name, and I'll forward it over to QA to investigate.
C. Shawn Smith

In addition, this thread is over a year old (nearly 9 months since the last post), Roku has since made their entire channel store available for browsing on their website here: http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/m ... by-popular

As mentioned above, channels that are sold through Roku's channel store have their price clearly marked. Channels that use the providers own billing system are priced and managed by the provider, so you'll need to do some research to find out their cost.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion