Roku and live sports

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku and live sports

Postby pgd » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:46 pm

I quit satellite tv a few months ago and don't want to get it or cable again.

How good an alternative is Roku? I have pretty fast DSL (40mbps down/20mbps up). If I purchase a Roku, will I be able to watch live sports, particularly MLB playoffs and some NFL games?

My wife enjoys House and I also like Turner Classic Movies, ESPN and the History channel.

Would we be able to watch some or all of these using a Roku?

Thanks for any help.

pg
pgd

Re: Roku and live sports

Postby jcmolet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 am

There are a number of Roku channels covering sports and sport related activities. Probably the most mainstream/well known among those are MLB.TV, NHL GameCenter, MLS and UFC. In the past, Roku has also featured NBA Game Time. However, I assume it is not currently referenced on their website because the upcoming season is somewhat in doubt. Unfortunately, the NFL does not currently have a presence on Roku players. Your best bet is to check the Roku site -- http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#3 [Sports] -- to see what sport related channels are available, and then visit the site for specific channels you may have an interest in to see exactly what they offer, pricing, etc.

Stations like ESPN, The History Channel and TCM are not available via Roku players. However, there are a number of choices that might address your sports need as touched on previously, and there are a number of choices (e.g. Cowboy Classics, Movie Vault, Moonlight Movies and Pub-D-Hub) that might meet your classic movie needs. Again, check the Roku site -- http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#2 [Movies & TV] -- for the available channels and then check the web sites of channels that might interest you to get more information regarding content that is available, pricing, etc.
jcmolet

Postby jetman1287 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:34 am

Remember the sports leagues are out of touch and will black you out in your home market. Use an HD antenna (it's not as obnoxious looking as the 80s) to get as many NFL games as you can.

Unfortunately even ESPN3 on the Xbox does not give you the MNF games.

There are some sites like channelsurfing.net that may help you in the case you are blacked out. I haven't used it in a while and heard it was shut down. But as an out of market fan I get almost all the MLB and NHL games for a reasonable price :)

MLB is about $25/mo
NHL $170 for the season
jetman1287

Postby mommom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:31 am

I always say its best to have a mix of sources without cable or satellite.We use Roku,Wii,antenna and we get a lot of use from pc connected tv's.My DH has not missed a sport event yet,but most of the time its OTA or on the pc.
mommom

Postby pgd » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate them.

Mommom,
Can you give some more details?
How does a Wii help you watch tv? Also, how does your pc connected to tv help? Are you speaking of Netflix or Hulu?

We recently bought a Vizio Led tv that we hooked up to our DSL. We get Amazon Prime and it has buttons for Netflix, Hulu etc. However, I don't really see how to get sports like I used to get with satellite. Also, we live on the side of a mountain in Colorado and haven't had much luck with an indoor HD antenna. I'm considering an outdoor one, but have no idea which to get.

Do you or anyone else have a recommendation for an outdoor HD antenna?

Also, is there somewhere on the Roku site where it lists the channels that I can get with their device, kind of like the channel lists you get from the satellite and cable people when they're trying to get you to sign up?

Thanks again,

pg
pgd

Postby jcmolet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:11 pm

pgd wrote:Also, is there somewhere on the Roku site where it lists the channels that I can get with their device....

Official channels noted on the Roku site: http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

Also, there are a number of sites that list available private channels. Just Google 'Roku private channels' or something similar. Here is one example: http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-private-channels/
jcmolet

Postby mommom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 am

""Mommom,
Can you give some more details?
How does a Wii help you watch tv? Also, how does your pc connected to tv help? Are you speaking of Netflix or Hulu?""

Free Hulu is great!! We use something called the Kylo browser http://kylo.tv/ for our internet connected tv's.Their is another called Zinctv that some people use. http://www.zinc.tv/

Wii has Netflix and also supports a channel called Playon that is not discussed here,as it is not supported by Roku.I will PM you
mommom

Postby ddevonb » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 pm

pgd wrote:I quit satellite tv a few months ago and don't want to get it or cable again.

How good an alternative is Roku? I have pretty fast DSL (40mbps down/20mbps up). If I purchase a Roku, will I be able to watch live sports, particularly MLB playoffs and some NFL games?

My wife enjoys House and I also like Turner Classic Movies, ESPN and the History channel.

Would we be able to watch some or all of these using a Roku?

There are no live NFL games currently available for Roku. MLB.TV carries all regular season out of market games. I live in Denver so I am blacked out on the Rockies game but can watch the other teams. Since i'm a Cubs fan it works well for me.

As for the playoff games, since they are all national exclusive broadcasts and can't be carried live on Roku, but every game is archived so that you can watch it later.
ddevonb

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion