Roku XDS vs Roku 2 XS Streaming Issues

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku XDS vs Roku 2 XS Streaming Issues

Postby David M » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:14 pm

We have had a Roku XDS for about two months and it works perfectly. Couldn't be happier with it.

We just bought a Roku 2 XS and it has streaming issues. When watching NBC News podcasts the streaming is jerky or stuttering. When watching Netflix, there is no jerkiness, but it stops every few minutes to load. I will put some additional details below, but just to be clear when using the Roku XDS on exactly the same television using the same settings, same HDMI cable, and watching the same content everything works great. The problems only appear with the Roku 2 XS and everything else is exactly the same.

We are using wifi that I just tested on a wifi connected computer and got download speeds of about 7.5 to 8 Mps which is a little higher than the 7mps I am paying for.
Wireless router is a Cisco/Linksys E4200

The tv is a 32" LCD with 720p resolution. The Roku 2 XS is set at 720p.

I tried hooking the Roku 2 XS to a different TV (a much larger 60? inch) and had exactly the same issues.

I would be thankful for any suggestions.

Dave
David M

Re: Roku XDS vs Roku 2 XS Streaming Issues

Postby jcmolet » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 pm

I am not sure what the latest version of software should be, but have you checked to see if any updates are available?
jcmolet

Postby David M » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:03 pm

jcmolet wrote:I am not sure what the latest version of software should be, but have you checked to see if any updates are available?

Nice suggestion but no joy. I went to "software updates" in Settings, asked it to check for updates and it said there were no updates.

The current software on our Roku 2 is version 4.1 build 1275.

Also, I should clarify that when watching the NBC news the audio is fine. Only the video is jerky or stuttering. I don't know what else to call it, but the video pauses for a fraction of a second every few seconds. This does not happen when watching Netflix. On Netflix, every few minutes the movie stops and the screen displays "Loading" for a few seconds, then the movie starts again.
David M

Postby ottodog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:30 am

My Roku 2 started doing the re-buffer and "trying to connect" thing on Netflix. I've also had titles that won't play on the Roku 2 but will play on the Roku 1, Battlestar Galactica for one. Roku 2 just loads the title to a black screen with no audio. If you FF you can see the frames but they won't play. I kind of assumed they 1&2 use different streams, and it is most likely a Netflix issue.

As far as the constant re-buffer on the 2, I switched from wireless to wired and haven't seen it happen again.
ottodog

Postby David M » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:43 am

I spent a couple hours on the phone with tech support they finally decided that there was probably a problem with my Roku 2 XS so they are sending out another one. Tech support was very nice, very patient, and very thorough. Hopefully the new one will work better. In the meantime, we'll stick with the Roku XDS.
David M

Postby David M » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:23 am

Roku sent out a replacement Roku 2 XS and it does the same thing as the previous one. Very disappointing. Meanwhile the older Roku XDS continues to work flawlessly. I guess we will have to try a different device like the Apple TV or try to find an older Roku XDS on Ebay.
David M

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 am

David M wrote:Roku sent out a replacement Roku 2 XS and it does the same thing as the previous one. Very disappointing. Meanwhile the older Roku XDS continues to work flawlessly. I guess we will have to try a different device like the Apple TV or try to find an older Roku XDS on Ebay.

You can buy a new (not used) Roku XD|S from Amazon.com
CalvinMcGowan

Postby David M » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:40 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
David M wrote:Roku sent out a replacement Roku 2 XS and it does the same thing as the previous one. Very disappointing. Meanwhile the older Roku XDS continues to work flawlessly. I guess we will have to try a different device like the Apple TV or try to find an older Roku XDS on Ebay.

You can buy a new (not used) Roku XD|S from Amazon.com

Thanks Calvin! I'll look for a XD|S on Amazon. Too bad the new Roku 2 doesn't work at our house either wired or wireless. Also a little disappointing that tech support could never identify what the problem was.
David M

Postby Crissch » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:18 am

extremely disappointing that Roku Tech Support can not resolve, confirm or deny a problem. To be specific, I have the same issue with NBC News channel. Constantly stopping to "load". I suspect the folks at Roku support DO KNOW what the root cause of the issue is but simply are not willing to come clean with an explanation. Yes you may find one unit or one model that works, or at least works better. That is not the same as being entirely honest with the problem cause or any future change that may resolve. Protecting their market's perceptions is of the utmost.
Crissch

Postby FX4 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:22 am

Just curious, did you try the 2 XS at the XD|S location. My XS works fine and probably a little better than my XD|S (Picture is better).
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am

Crissch wrote:extremely disappointing that Roku Tech Support can not resolve, confirm or deny a problem. To be specific, I have the same issue with NBC News channel. Constantly stopping to "load". I suspect the folks at Roku support DO KNOW what the root cause of the issue is but simply are not willing to come clean with an explanation. Yes you may find one unit or one model that works, or at least works better. That is not the same as being entirely honest with the problem cause or any future change that may resolve. Protecting their market's perceptions is of the utmost.

conspiracy theories aside, if you would like the forum members to try and help you then please reply with what exactly is happening with what model unit, how it is connected (wired or wireless) and what your internet bandwidth is for starters.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:39 pm

This is a 6 month old thread about version 4.1 firmware. The firmware has been updated several times since then, currently on version 4.3.
You'd be better off starting a new thread explaining your problem rather than resurrecting an old one that likely doesn't relate to your problem.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion