Free Movies and TV serials

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Free Movies and TV serials

Postby hm9m » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:23 am

I am new owner of roku XD. On the ROKU box, it says watch thousands on free movies and TV serials. :?
Which channel lets you watch movies and tv serials for free on ROKU?
I see EPIX and Netflix as public free channels on ROKU, however you need to subscribe to these channels in order to see it thru ROKU.
Please advice. Thanks!
hm9m

Re: Free Movies and TV serials

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:39 am

Look in the ch store under the movies & TV category and you will find several chs including:

Crackle
Pub-D-Hub
SnagFilms
inmoo
BYUtv
Disney

Also Amazon Prime movies are free if you already have a paid Prime Shipping plan and EPIX is free for all whose ISP is in their group.

Then there are some private chs like Justin TV (A search will get you the code) and even a few others.
Gilgamesh

Postby jedimko » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:08 pm

To open up your roku device to more movies and shows you need "The Channel That Shall Not Be Named" it's $20 a year. It includes Hulu (not plus) and channels like TVlinks, ESPN3, YouTube, MLB and more. It's what I use to keep up with the new shows. Hope this help.
jedimko

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:09 pm

jedimko wrote:To open up your roku device to more movies and shows you need "The Channel That Shall Not Be Named" it's $20 a year. It includes Hulu (not plus) and channels like TVlinks, ESPN3, YouTube, MLB and more. It's what I use to keep up with the new shows. Hope this help.

Eh, there's plenty without PlayOn. Between private channels and the ones in the channel store, there's more than I could ever watch.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby destruk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:17 pm

And don't forget, some of those other channels don't work on Roku 2, so you may be throwing your money into a bottomless pit of excuses for why it continues to be useless.
destruk

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:48 pm

and also don't that talking about that channel on Roku's forums is a sure-fire way to get the thread locked
stratcat96

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:09 pm

stratcat96 wrote:and also don't that talking about that channel on Roku's forums is a sure-fire way to get the thread locked

mikebdoss

Postby atheling » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm

There are movies on the Internet Archive. One way to access those is through NoWhereTV but I think there is also a private channel specifically for that. Selection seems to be limited to those in the RSS feed of recently added movies on the web site. The transfers are generally poor quality and there is often a reason that the copyright holders decided not to renew. But the price is right.
atheling

Postby cbojar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:50 pm

You can skim the list at http://www.catastrophegirl.com/rokuchannellist.htm for a (nearly) full list of channels available, both public and private. There, you can find out about channels such as HGTV and PBS for content that you would expect from other sources.
cbojar

Postby catastrophegirl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm

hm9m wrote:Which channel lets you watch movies and tv serials for free on ROKU?

hm9m, Gilgamesh's suggestions are a great place to look, especially Crackle.

popcornflix: i'm hoping they will get their bugs worked out because it looks like another good place for bunches of movies.

dreamtv: has some free and some premium [paid] content that you might want to explore.

koldcast: has a lot of fun, free content

nowhereTV: includes most of what's on the internet archive as well as news, PBS, some HGTV and FOOD network [there are also separate PBS, HGTV and FOOD network channels] some Lifetime shows, adult swim and a whole lot more

retrovision: classic movies [frankly, there's a lot of overlap on several channels with public domain content]

snagfilms: documentaries

and bunches more.

cbojar wrote:You can skim the list at http://www.catastrophegirl.com/rokuchannellist.htm for a (nearly) full list of channels available, both public and private. There, you can find out about channels such as HGTV and PBS for content that you would expect from other sources.

cbojar, you said "nearly" full list... if you know of channels i need to add to the list, please fill me in. i want it to be as complete as possible. i'd love it if people would let me know when they want me to include their channels and list their developer credit.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby cbojar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:40 pm

catastrophegirl wrote:
cbojar wrote:You can skim the list at http://www.catastrophegirl.com/rokuchannellist.htm for a (nearly) full list of channels available, both public and private. There, you can find out about channels such as HGTV and PBS for content that you would expect from other sources.

cbojar, you said "nearly" full list... if you know of channels i need to add to the list, please fill me in. i want it to be as complete as possible. i'd love it if people would let me know when they want me to include their channels and list their developer credit.

I don't know of any not on your list. You put in an excellent effort. :D
cbojar

Postby Thelucky1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am

What is the "The Channel That Shall Not Be Named" and how do I get it? Shoot me a PM!
Thelucky1

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion