Roku won't recognize my External Hard Drive

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Roku won't recognize my External Hard Drive

Postby cbojar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 am

So what exactly are the capabilities of the Roku's USB port? I've used flash drives without a problem, but an external 500GB HDD with its own power source was not recognized. Similarly, an SD card reader was not recognized, but a microSD-to-USB adapter worked just fine. What can we expect to/make work and what is not reasonable?
cbojar

Postby philsoft » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:33 am

cbojar wrote:So what exactly are the capabilities of the Roku's USB port? I've used flash drives without a problem, but an external 500GB HDD with its own power source was not recognized. Similarly, an SD card reader was not recognized, but a microSD-to-USB adapter worked just fine. What can we expect to/make work and what is not reasonable?

I am able to use a 2TB hard drive without issue.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 pm

cbojar wrote:Similarly, an SD card reader was not recognized...

I've used a cheap SD card reader for jpegs in my XDS with no problems.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krisbee » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:38 pm

I hate to say it, but I think it is the only answer - it depends. I know that is sucky, but to be honest, that is the answer of lots of usb things on many linux distros as well. Things that should work don't, things that you figure will be a struggle start without any issues.

It is unsatisfying, I know - but I think that is realistic. Best thing would be for us to start a new post of things that DO work.

Again, though - to me, I'd rather dump something on my computer and stream it to the Roku, but that is because I have a computer on 24/7 and it is no biggie for me in my setup.

Those of you with 1-2tb of stuff, you would do better that way anyway if you ask me - you can setup nice sheets or xml files, or whatever, and share the fun easier. Of course, that may not work in your situation, but I'd recommend it.
krisbee

Postby jrradtke » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I got a Roku originally to stream NetFlix.
The 2Xs is my second Roku.
I got it specifically because it would display CC on NetFlix content when it is included.
As a streaming media player, I have nothing but positive things to say about both my Rokus.
Netflix works well,
So does Pandora
and I've spent (wasted) way too much time getting those Angry BIrds where I wanted them.

Where I do have issues is what Roku didn't tell (potential) customers about the limitations of the 2XS.
The maximum size of a hard drive that is recognized is not listed anywhere in the specs.
I have not tried the card reader, but have used a USB powered 500 GB (WD Passport) drive successfully.
My 2.5 TB drive does not work.
I also think limiting 2XS video format to m4v is a big pain.
Movies play well enough, but getting a dvd compressed into m4v format takes a long time on modest systems.
And then there is still the CC issue.
I had no luck getting SRT files (of the same name as the m4v) working on the 2XS.

I like my Rokus fine, but it quickly became obvious that the Roku would not, could not do all that I wanted to be done.
Play ISOs and or MKV.
Recognize a 2+TB hard disk.
Access files on the LAN with no additional tweaking required on either side of the exchange.
Thats why I got the O!Pllay
jrradtke

Postby aegraff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I've enjoyed the 2 xs, but my issue has been with the USB Media Player. It plays most/all of my movies just fine, but it has to scan the drive everytime (which is slow), it randomly orders the files (and I have over 500) and there is no way to search. So while I like using the USB media player to watch my movies, I basically have to keep a list of the order of each movie that I watch a lot, so that I can find it more easily. It's a real pain and I wish they would NOT randomly order the files (alphabetical is fine) or at least give us a search feature. Or both.
aegraff

Postby whereisnetflix » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 am

somebuddy wrote:I did, but it didn't work. It's a USB 3.0, so I can only switch to another USB 3.0 (which works with Roku on my other drive).

is your drive USB 3.0 only? is it backward compatibl;e with USB 2.0 (does it work when plugged into a usb 2.0 only port on a computer)? Most are, but if yours isn't that could be the issue - not the partition size.
whereisnetflix

Postby DiabloD3 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:37 am

krisbee wrote:
DiabloD3 wrote:It runs Linux, it has a USB port. Why even bother claiming that because its a Roku it is anything less than a Linux box with a USB plug?

It runs the linux kernel, but that doesn't make it support everything under the sun. It isn't a full computer - it has just a few chips in there. That is like saying my four wheeler is a car because it has an engine and has four wheels. :)

Think about how big a normal distro is - and think about how limited the hardware is on the roku - it doesn't have every stitch of software, or kernel modules for that matter. It just has some things in common, that's all.

Thats a pretty absurd statement. The ARM SoC in the Roku 2s are about as powerful as a cell phone or an Apple TV2. They are a full computer, and you've never done software development for embedded hardware. Everything of interest to the context of this thread is provided by the kernel, not the distro.
Roku 2 LT 16A182002431
Roku 1 XDS K0A13D037002
DiabloD3

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion