NHL Gamecenter Live

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

NHL Gamecenter Live

Postby kblankenship11 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:40 am

Let me preface this post with the REASON that I bought the Roku 2 was for the NHL Gamecenter live streaming. I did a lot of research on streaming players and I really liked what Roku supported.

The day that Gamecenter live became available I bought it so I was ready to go for the preseason games. So after buying the package I linked it to my Roku and there weren't any games on at the time, so I figured well I'll wait til tomorrow.

The first game rolls around, I boot up my Roku and open the Gamecenter channel, the "Retrieving Stream" window comes up with a spinning wheel and I get booted to the home screen over and over again. I figured, oh well maybe somethings up with my box. Day two rolls around and I try again, same thing.

At this point I'm really frustrated so I contacted Roku support. I explained my issue and after about 10 minutes his response was "You may not be able to watch Gamecenter live on Roku for the 2011-2012 season. Our engineers are working on it and we will email you when its fixed". I thought, is this possible? The whole season? How can a service that is advertised as a featured channel on Roku's site not work? Not be tested? Not inform customers that it doesnt work?

I find this unacceptable and a case of false advertising. Unless the Gamecenter channel is fixed before the end of preseason I am going to sell it on ebay and get a competitors device. I will also never recommend the device to anybody. This is a huge SNAFU in my opinion and is unacceptable. Roku needs to inform customers about this issue and do something about it or they are going to lose existing and new customers of their devices.
kblankenship11

Re: NHL Gamecenter Live

Postby socantra » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:56 am

Preseason exhibition games are not available through GameCenter Live on any connected devices. A few select preseason games that have television coverage will be used as test streams on the website only for the purpose of troubleshooting by our streaming department, but full coverage for the season will begin with the first regular season game.

NHL Web Support

If the information listed in this email does not resolve your customer service issue, please call 866-210-6349.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby kblankenship11 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

Why would the support person tell me it may not work for the whole season?

Also why does the Gamecenter channel not explain that pre-season games are not available on Roku? You should explain this for your customers right off the bat to avoid confusion/frustration.

I can watch the games on my laptop so why not my Roku?
kblankenship11

Postby kc8pql » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:54 am

You should be asking the NHL these questions. They decide what, when and how their content can be viewed.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:03 pm

kblankenship11 wrote:I can watch the games on my laptop so why not my Roku?

Content is based on licensing. Some will license content to be broadcast on the computer, but not on a streaming device, and vice versa. Hulu vs Hulu+ is a good example of this. While Hulu (regular) can be streamed on the computer, it cannot (legally) be streamed on the Roku. Only Hulu+ is authorized to legally stream on the Roku and other DVPs.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby kblankenship11 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 pm

This is all fine and dandy, but why would this not be explained out front? You're going to make customers open their Gamecenter app and mysteriously boot them out without them being aware of what's going on? All we would need is a simple message or note "Preseason games are not available on the Roku media player". Bam, problem solved.

What is also maddening is why would a support person not tell me this? Why would he tell me that "I might not be able to view Gamecenter for the 2011-2012 season"? If this is common knowledge I think customers should be filled in as well as the support staff.
kblankenship11

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:04 pm

That's up to the content providers, and you should file feedback with them. With over 200+ channels, it would be impossible for Roku to logistically handle all the "fine print" with our limited resources. However, having said that, I will add it to my weekly report. If nothing else, it would be forwarded to the content provider for review.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - Hulu makes such things clear on their website. A lot of the paid channels do so.
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby downing street memo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:19 pm

So, today's the first day of the season, and GameCenter Live still doesn't work on Roku. Very, very disappointing.
downing street memo

Postby Seattle757 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 pm

So today is opening day and Roku isn't working? I bought this thing specifically so I could watch NHL games. I go on Roku, picke live games, get "retrieivng" then get kicked out to the main menu. What is going on!?!?!? :evil:
Seattle757

Postby DaBronx » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 pm

The new/updated NHL GameCenter channel is now in the channel store.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3, Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby jlj_20 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:14 pm

@Seattle757- I had the same problem. I had added the channel last week then decided to wait to buy until opening day 10/6 (today) in case I needed to request a refund within the 5 day trial period. Here's what I did to resolve:

Go to the channel browser > my channels
Pick the NHL channel > remove
Go back to channel browser
Re-enable the NHL channel, get the activation code
Go back to your computer > nhl.com/roku, and activate your NHL gamecenter account

Hopefully this works for you too. I was (and still am) frustrated how simple this shold be and how difficult it actually was just to figure it out on my own.

For something as simple as this, Roku could improve their service with better troubleshooting info. It's frustrating.. seems like there should be an option to automatically upgrade the channel, or at least have a one-click option to upgrade it. If it's not working you don't get any useful info from Roku. These forums are good though!

So far live streaming is a little choppy and grainy. Just ordered a DSL speed upgrade.. won't take effect until tomorrow though. Hopefully that improves the live stream quality.
jlj_20

Postby kc8pql » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 pm

The root of the problem seems to be that NHL didn't put up this years version of the channel until yesterday evening.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby 555.johnanderson » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Let me begin by stating that I have spent more than an hour over the course of two days on hold with NHL Gamecenter Live. Nice support for my $159.00.

I have a few questions.

First, how many Roku devices can I activate on my NHL Gamecenter Live account?
According to the Roku activation screen, I have activated two; one at my home in IL and another in my daughter's home in MO.

Second, the Roku in my daughter's home in MO would not play any games last night (10/18/2011). Each game can with a comment that the game was not available in her market. Every game.

I may have been watching at the same time. Could this be the reason?
555.johnanderson

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:55 pm

See my response in your other thread.
Gilgamesh

Postby thefastone » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 am

Well, it seems nearly a year on, and I find myself in exactly the same position...

I've just bought the Roku, Specifically for the purpose of Watching NHL Gamecentre. I have the account, as from last year they allowed the UK to get Game centre. it's the perfect solution!

Except it isn't.

I couldn't find the channel in the channel store, got a really bad feeling about that... So I thought, might have to add it as a private channel. Tried adding it on the Roku Website, but then the website shows a little flag next to the box with the channel code in, that "this channel is not available in your area"

to say that I'm furious is an understatement. Just wasted a 100 pounds (not dollars, they are more expensive here) and nowhere on the NHL website, or the Roku website was it mentioned that the NHL app was only available in the domestic market, or at least that's what I'm figuring it is.

Unless someone knows of some way to get it on a Roku in the UK...?
thefastone

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion