Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brentonhouse
Visitor

Re: Hosting for video files

I understand that you can use Vimeo (and possibly YouTube) for hosting videos on Roku, but I don't know the endpoints that you would use for either of these hosts.

Does anyone else here use Vimeo to host a video for a Roku Channel and if so, what endpoints are you using?
0 Kudos
sestratton
Visitor

Regarding hosting video content on Amazon Cloudfront, it appears in the Cloudfront documentation that for streaming video they support only RTMP:

CloudFront uses Adobe Flash Media Server 3.5 to stream on-demand content with Adobe's Real-Time
Messaging Protocol (RTMP). CloudFront accepts RTMP requests over port 1935 and port 80.
CloudFront supports the following variants of the RTMP protocol:
• RTMP—Adobe's Real-Time Message Protocol
• RTMPT—Adobe streaming tunneled over HTTP
• RTMPE—Adobe encrypted
• RTMPTE—Adobe encrypted tunneled over HTTP

I don't see how that does me any good since Roku documentation states:

The only way to deliver live content on the Roku is to use HTTP Live Streaming (HLS). Video on Demand (VOD) can be delivered via HLS, mp4, and wmv container files.

What am I missing here?
0 Kudos
uarlive
Visitor

In the past for testing we have used http://www.hddn.com.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

"sestratton" wrote:

What am I missing here?

This:

http://www.wowza.com/ec2-streaming.html
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos

I currently use Amazon s3, most of my video files right now are around 150 MB, which seems to cause some slow loading issues. Has anyone gotten around this problem or could you recommend a similar amazon or other low cost service provider. I have found that the amazon s3 is very inexpensive.

Thanks!

Bryan
0 Kudos

Just a follow up, I have sent over 303gig of data and it only cost around $36.00

Using Amazon s3
0 Kudos
uarlive
Visitor

How much bandwidth are you using?
0 Kudos
AVP777
Visitor

You don't have to pay the cdn premium, just a well connected ISP is very good on the roku at a much lower cost.
Under 2 cents a gigabyte if you make the right deal.
0 Kudos
koshermetal
Visitor

Whatever you do, don't use a Dropbox FREE account to host files.They will suspend activity if you reach 10GB of bandwidth in a day (the cap for paid accounts is 250GB/day.) Maybe this is already well known, but I feel like an idiot!

We were using this method for testing, then as soon as the channel went public it crashed the Dropbox. We had to then scramble to get everything up and running and move to another server, now we have to wait for the update on the Public Channel to roll-out.

Oi Vey!
Free 24/7 Metal radio via web or smartphone
www.koshermetal.com
0 Kudos
sftv
Visitor

"koshermetal" wrote:
Whatever you do, don't use a Dropbox FREE account to host files.They will suspend activity if you reach 10GB of bandwidth in a day (the cap for paid accounts is 250GB/day.)

Thanks for that update. I saw you were using Dropbox while your channel was private, and started looking at Dropbox's TOS myself. My one client (friend) wanted to stream his YouTube band channel via the Roku. In fact, I referred him to you after I would not be able to deliver. YouTube's TOS nixed that idea. We even looked at Amazon S3 and even that would put him over budget.

As mentioned in the other posts, Amazon S3 is what I have been recommending to a few small clients if they can afford it.

Please continue to post your findings on low cost providers. I have a few "starving artists" waiting.
0 Kudos