HDMI Pass-through

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HDMI Pass-through

Postby Jish » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Just purchased a new receiver (for HDMI connectivity) - that has HDMI Pass-through when receiver is shut off. When the receiver is shut off all components (DirecTV, Blu-ray) sound along with picture are seen on TV with the exception of the Roku (2100X) the picture passes through fine but there is no sound, I have tried switching HDMI cables, no difference - any suggestions please?
Jish

Re: HDMI Pass-through

Postby Buckeye911 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:01 pm

The easy fix is just to run the red and white RCA cables. All outputs on the Roku are active so you should get sound.
Buckeye911

Postby atheling » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Do you have 5.1 sound selected on the Roku and if so does your TV support that?
atheling

Postby Jish » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:06 am

Yes & Yes, as I wrote DirecTV & Blu-ray sound passes through perfectly.
Jish

Postby aaronwt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:00 am

Jish wrote:Yes & Yes, as I wrote DirecTV & Blu-ray sound passes through perfectly.

But do those devices automatically drop down to 2.0 pcm? The Roku2 won't drop down automatically.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby __5 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:07 am

Jish wrote:Just purchased a new receiver (for HDMI connectivity) - that has HDMI Pass-through when receiver is shut off. When the receiver is shut off all components (DirecTV, Blu-ray) sound along with picture are seen on TV with the exception of the Roku (2100X) the picture passes through fine but there is no sound, I have tried switching HDMI cables, no difference - any suggestions please?

When the receiver is shut-off , DirecTV & Blu-ray (set to 5.1 audio) they will Auto output 2ch PCM(stereo) to TV (TV is detected).

Roku will only pass-through 5.1 DD/DD+

So, Set Roku to Stereo from Home/Setting Menu.

I would suggest u enable Pure Direct mode on the AVR if it support it (for least circuitry).

Good Luck!
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Jish » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:34 am

Your reply was interesting, since reading it I went back to my Yamaha receiver & Roku. What I am experiencing is just the opposite, when setting up the receiver/Roku I used the Amazon Instant Video channel and was using a 5.1 sound TV show from my video library. Today I played a non 5.1 old TV show & newer HD show from Netflix and the sound passed through perfectly with receiver off - so I went back to Amazon no sound when receiver was shut off from 5.1 but there is from non-5.1 program. So I experimented further: Crackle - sound passes through, 1080P Showcase - sound p t.
Jish

Postby kc8pql » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:09 pm

aaronwt wrote:But do those devices automatically drop down to 2.0 pcm? The Roku2 won't drop down automatically.

Op doesn't have a Roku2. He has an R1 XDS (2100X).
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby __5 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:15 am

Jish wrote:Your reply was interesting, since reading it I went back to my Yamaha receiver & Roku. What I am experiencing is just the opposite,.......

You’re not experiencing the opposite.

In short, if u shut-off the receiver, Roku has to be set to Stereo from Home/Setting Menu. In that case, you’ll hear sound from all channels & contents thru ur TV speakers.

Roku will only pass-through 5.1 DD if the content is in 5.1 audio and Roku is set to 5.1 audio from Home/Setting menu. In that case, if u shut-off the receiver you will NOT hear any sound from ur TV speakers because ur TV doesn’t decode pass-through (bitstream) 5.1 DD & Roku will not detect ur TV & Auto-output 2ch PCM(Stereo) as w/DirecTV & Blu-ray!

Your experimentation is correct & sound is heard from TV only when Roku streamed content in a Stereo, however my previous replay was kind of short (I assumed u were familiar w/DD/DD+ Decoding).

So, if you planning to shut-off the receiver, Set Roku to Stereo from Home/Setting menu, this way the receiver will pass-through audio signal in Stereo instead of pass-through audio in 5.1 DD.

Note: Amazon is the only channel from Roku1 (that I know of) which offers 5.1DD contents.

Cheers!
__5

Postby Jish » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:33 am

Thank you roku5!
Jish

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion