Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:33 am

mikebdoss wrote:It still shocks me that people freak out about giving their credit card info to a company online, but will gladly hand their card, with expiration date and security code present, to any minimum wage waiter or counter clerk without even thinking about it.

Yes, Mike, I do not understand that either. With proper account monitoring the risk of sharing that info with an established company is not great. Even if the site is hacked all that is required is deactivating the compromised card and getting a new one.

Now, of course, you should NOT share that info with the fly by night internet companies like the ones that spam this and other boards and many email addresses and you should be on the alert for phishing attempts but that will not happen if you follow a link from a known good site to its payment section.

Are there some risks in using a card online? YES!
Are the online risks greater than handing your card to a waiter or clerk or even swiping it yourself at a store? NO!

The only real risk, if one exercises common sense and monitors account activity at least daily, is that using a card makes purchases a bit too easy and it is not hard to buy, on impulse, things that you really should not. The same can be said for having the card permanently linked to your Roku account as it makes ch purchases sometimes too easy.

I STRONGLY recommend using PayPal and a PayPal credit/debit card (for sites that do not have a PayPal option) because PayPal can be set to send an email each and every time the card is used and PayPal's policies make fraudulent use quite difficult. (Unless you use a weak password.)
Gilgamesh

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:16 am

when I want to buy something, I go on and add my card, buy it, then go back and "delete payment info". I'm not sure why everyone freaks out over all of it. The channel store payment option simplifies the payment process, as many here remember before that option people would post here complaining about having to go to different providers' websites to create an account and make a purchase and requesting a streamlined process. Well, here it is. . You just can't make people happy
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:45 am

I'm pretty sure there's an option to skip this step during registration now, in the form of a link at the bottom of the page that asks for the payment details.

Yep, there it is right there...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby senorgregster » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:11 am

TheEndless wrote:I'm pretty sure there's an option to skip this step during registration now, in the form of a link at the bottom of the page that asks for the payment details.

I was going to post the same thing but thought it may have been because I already had an account.
senorgregster

Postby gonzotek » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:44 am

TheEndless wrote:I'm pretty sure there's an option to skip this step during registration now, in the form of a link at the bottom of the page that asks for the payment details.

I don't see that link while creating a new account at https://owner.roku.com/ :
Screenshot
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby TheEndless » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:56 am

gonzotek wrote:

I don't see that link while creating a new account at https://owner.roku.com/ :
Screenshot

That's odd. I created a brand new account to get that screenshot... :?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

I remember looking for the "skip this step" link when I set up my daughters account a few months ago, and didn't see it. Maybe it's browser based (or it's a script of some sort that's not showing up correctly in all browsers)? I was probably using Chrome on Ubuntu.
mikebdoss

Postby senorgregster » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 pm

mikebdoss wrote:I remember looking for the "skip this step" link when I set up my daughters account a few months ago, and didn't see it. Maybe it's browser based (or it's a script of some sort that's not showing up correctly in all browsers)? I was probably using Chrome on Ubuntu.

I used Chrome on a Mac but with an existing account.
senorgregster

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:50 pm

senorgregster wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:I remember looking for the "skip this step" link when I set up my daughters account a few months ago, and didn't see it. Maybe it's browser based (or it's a script of some sort that's not showing up correctly in all browsers)? I was probably using Chrome on Ubuntu.

I used Chrome on a Mac but with an existing account.

I had the cookie from roku.com in the system, I'm sure, so I don't know if that made a difference (if the problem even is browser-based). I think we'll have to wait for official word.
mikebdoss

Postby gonzotek » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:56 pm

My attempt was with a Chromebook, so Chrome here too. I'll try using a incognito window to see if it's a cookie thing.

/edit: Nope, still no 'skip this step' link. No script errors, and I also can't find the word 'skip' using the chrome page inspector tools.

Weird.
Last edited by gonzotek on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
gonzotek

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:00 pm

That link wasn't there when I set up my brothers account using XP and Firefox. I doubt it's system related however. It seems to random. Just to test it I went in to create a new account and the option wasn't there. I have an account that auto logs in from this same PC so if it were a grandfathered issue it should have read any cookies.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Gilgamesh and Mike - handing my card to a cashier is less risky than putting it online. I see what they do with the card, get a receipt, and my card back. There are cloning machines but most places don't print full info on the stores receipt. The store manager may have access to it. Online you have to worry about your computers security, anyone packet sniffing your wifi, anyone intercepting the data on a global level, Roku security, and hacking of Roku since it's stored in a database. If I had credit card info with Sony for example that would have been compromised.

However security isn't my concern as much as I simply don't see the need for this. The skip step should be there for everyone.
Last edited by mkiker2089 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm checking on this now. It may be that the button etc is JavaScript-based, so if you have higher than usual security on your browser (JavaScript disabled), you might want to try temporarily enabling JavaScript and/or lowering your browser security to see if it shows up.

If and when I get more information, I'll post here.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby gonzotek » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:11 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:I'm checking on this now. It may be that the button etc is JavaScript-based, so if you have higher than usual security on your browser (JavaScript disabled), you might want to try temporarily enabling JavaScript and/or lowering your browser security to see if it shows up.

C. Shawn Smith
Nope, no special settings here.
Just tried it with a completely new browser profile, same result: no link.
gonzotek

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:14 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:I'm checking on this now. It may be that the button etc is JavaScript-based, so if you have higher than usual security on your browser (JavaScript disabled), you might want to try temporarily enabling JavaScript and/or lowering your browser security to see if it shows up.

C. Shawn Smith

Firefox and IE handle Java differently so that may be it. I have normal security settings. Actually the new firefox doesn't have a lot of security options. I have Java enabled and it can resize, move, and replace as needed.

I'm using Firefox 7 on and XP machine and my brother was using an older Firefox (not sure which, 6 perhaps also on XP). I have no other security enabled. No ad blockers, windows firewall only, Avast anti-virus. Nothing that should kill a link.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:22 pm

I just tried it with the newest IE and no skip this step either.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion