Surround Sound Connection

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Surround Sound Connection

Postby CEG » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I have a Roku 2 XD currently connected to my SDTV by way of the ole red/white/yellow RCA's. I get a very surprisingly good picture from that little RCA cable, but look forward to the day I can connect by way of the HDMI connection to a HDTV. I do have a very nice surround system and currently connect to it from my TV audio out when I want to hear Roku programming in surround sound. The processor gives me options of how to listen to that signal.

What I looked into recently was a cable on eBay (for XBox) that was (I thought) normal HDMI on one end and toslink on the other. It turned out, on closer look, that the HDMI end was a proprietary XBox connector and would not fit my Roku HDMI out.

Does any one know how I could use the HDMI out of my Roku to get 5.1 surround to a toslink input on my system? I would continue using the RCA connection for video and audio to my TV.

I am finding there is now a encoding called Dolby Digital Plus that I'm sure my ten year old surround system never heard of, so I have my doubts I can make this work, but........
CEG

Re: Surround Sound Connection

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Dolby Digital Plus from Netflix can not be carried via optical connection, so what you would need is an audio processor that takes in hdmi and that has a DD+ decoder in it to strip the 5.1 Dolby Digital signal out of it and send it out on a Toslink connection. Cost is subjective, but some units that do that (do alot more as well) are (much) more expensive than a new receiver
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Surround Sound Connection

Postby CEG » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Thank you for the information. I had not heard of Dolby Plus before now. I've had a high-end surround system for years and when Netflix was showing 5.1 I was pretty happy, even though my processor doesn't have HDMI in. I had hoped to convert, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

At least I am happy with the quality of the picture I get and my processor does a more than decent job of processing the 2 channel signal into surround. Guess I will have to be happy with what I have, which is actually pretty dang good. I'm new to Roku and have so been amazed at how well the whole Roku/Netflix setup works. I've barely watched my DIRECTV in almost a month.
CEG

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion