Old TV and Roku

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Old TV and Roku

Postby jeffj318 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I have an old TV and plan on getting Roku. Does the Roku come with the proper connections for me to plug in? Would that be the red, yellow and white? I have standard Definition (SD) and don't plan on getting HD right now so does 2.88 MB/s work or do I need 5Mb/s which I cannot get from my internet company at this time for my area? Just want to be sure on all of this before I purchase the Roku. Many thanks! :D
jeffj318

Re: Old TV and Roku

Postby jheartney » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:53 pm

The "red, yellow and white" is a composite connection, the yellow for SD video and the red and white for stereo sound. If your TV has these connections then a Roku will hook up to it.

Some older TV's have only a coax input. For these, you need to get an RF modulator to switch the composite connection to a coax connection. Or, some older VCR's will let you connect in too.

I originally started with Roku because I needed to hook up to an old tube TV and the AppleTV requires an HDMI in.

Tip: If you are watching on an old SD TV, you can save bandwidth by backing down your download speed to three dots. (Click 5 times on the top button of your remote, then three times on rewind, and twice on fast forward to pull up the interface.) On a tube tv, you won't see any difference.
jheartney

Postby renojim » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 pm

2.88Mbps is fine for SD.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Ottie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Another way to change your video setting is by going to my account on netflix.com. Then click on your account and help there is a option called Manage Video Quality and there are 3 options Good Quality (up to 0.3GB per hour) Better Quality (up to 0.7GB per hour) and Best (up to 1GB per hour 2.3GB for HD).
Ottie

Postby microlady » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:02 pm

I use 1.5MBPS and my SD Roku comes in just fine.
You should have no problem with your speed.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion