Netflix Stuttering Problem

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix Stuttering Problem

Postby mfrank1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm having trouble watching Netflix movies on my Roku XR. It's connected wirelessly (component cables to TV set for 780p), shows excellent signal strength and a beautiful HD picture. Movies play start to finish without interruption, but after an variable period of time -- 15 min to 1 hr -- a "stutter" appears. Using an analogy to film, it's like a frame has been removed every 24 frames. So a person walking across the screen might suddenly jump a slight bit forward, kind of like a hiccup. If I exit to the menu and then restart the movie, it will usually play fine again for awile, but the problem comes back after another 15 min or so. I've gone through all troubleshooting steps with Rocku and Netflix (resetting and rebooting modem, router and roku, changing channel on router, etc.), to no avail. I replaced the Roku, but the new one has the same issue. Netflix is now telling me to replace my router, but since everything else on my network works just fine, this seems like replacing a car becuase the radio has static. I would welcome and appreciate any suggestions.
mfrank1

Re: Netflix Stuttering Problem

Postby evanroode2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:26 pm

mfrank1 wrote:I'm having trouble watching Netflix movies on my Roku XR. It's connected wirelessly (component cables to TV set for 780p), shows excellent signal strength and a beautiful HD picture. Movies play start to finish without interruption, but after an variable period of time -- 15 min to 1 hr -- a "stutter" appears. Using an analogy to film, it's like a frame has been removed every 24 frames. So a person walking across the screen might suddenly jump a slight bit forward, kind of like a hiccup. If I exit to the menu and then restart the movie, it will usually play fine again for awile, but the problem comes back after another 15 min or so. I've gone through all troubleshooting steps with Rocku and Netflix (resetting and rebooting modem, router and roku, changing channel on router, etc.), to no avail. I replaced the Roku, but the new one has the same issue. Netflix is now telling me to replace my router, but since everything else on my network works just fine, this seems like replacing a car becuase the radio has static. I would welcome and appreciate any suggestions.

It might be like replacing your slow car because there is a traffic jam. Somewhere between your router and netflix there might be a traffic jam. Can you stream other HD content on your roku? How about on other devices, can they stream netflix HD and/or other HD content ok?

Go to http://speedtest.net and see what kind of connectivity your have
evanroode2

Postby mfrank1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:15 am

Thanks for your reply. I only watch movies on the Roku, but in my troubleshooting experiments, I haven't noticed the same issue on the PC or iPad. Other Roku channels seem to work fine, as well. As best as I can tell, the problem is limited to Netflix on Roku. I know I can step down the quality of the Netflix stream, but I hate to do it. That HD picture is just too good.
mfrank1

Postby cwniles » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:44 pm

If I was in your position I would connect my Roku directly to my modem to see if eliminating the router eliminates the problem......if the problem continues without the router even being connected well then I don't think replacing the router would solve anything.....more likely you need to tweak some QOS or wireless settings.

Note that you would have to power down the modem and the Roku, connect the Roku to the modem, power up the modem and allow it to complete the boot process prior to powering up the Roku and testing.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby mfrank1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Note that you would have to power down the modem and the Roku, connect the Roku to the modem, power up the modem and allow it to complete the boot process prior to powering up the Roku and testing.

Yes, I've spoken to six Roku support reps and they've walked me through this process each time (although they contradict themselves -- and the Netflix reps -- in other ways). Unfortunately, my Roku is in the basement and the router in my office above it. No easy way to connect the Roku directly without drilling through the floor, something I'd prefer to avoid. Any help with the proper QOS or wireless settings would be gratefully appreciated. I don't know much about that stuff, but a setting adjustment makes more sense to me than a router replacement.
mfrank1

Postby cwniles » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 pm

mfrank1 wrote:

Yes, I've spoken to six Roku support reps and they've walked me through this process each time (although they contradict themselves -- and the Netflix reps -- in other ways). Unfortunately, my Roku is in the basement and the router in my office above it. No easy way to connect the Roku directly without drilling through the floor, something I'd prefer to avoid. Any help with the proper QOS or wireless settings would be gratefully appreciated. I don't know much about that stuff, but a setting adjustment makes more sense to me than a router replacement.

I think there is some confusion as you say Roku support already walked you through this process six times already but I was referring specifically to the process you should follow when connecting your Roku directly to your modem....if you have done that six times already and the problem has persisted then my suggestion is irrelevant.

I was just putting forth what I would do were I in your situation....eliminate the router, even if only temporarily, to see if the problem went away or not......determining from the results if the router was indeed the problem. If the problem goes away then you can start digging around for help specific to that model router and the problem you are having.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby mfrank1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Even though my connection is wireless, the reps had me power down my Roku and modem, the power up the modem, then reset the Roku numerous times. I do understand the value of bypassing the router for troubleshooting purposes, but I have no practical way to do that with my setup.
mfrank1

Postby evanroode2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 pm

mfrank1 wrote:As best as I can tell, the problem is limited to Netflix on Roku.

Ok, that suggests that your roku is OK, your local network is OK, your ISP is OK.

Oversimplified: your other devices don't actually hit the same netflix servers as your roku. It is
possible that you aren't getting sent to a nearby netflix data center, but one further away.

Check out the "Change DNS servers to improve name resolution" section and give it a try

http://support.roku.com/entries/420570- ... nt-servers

Erik
evanroode2

Postby mfrank1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:15 am

Thank you, Erik. I will certainly follow your suggestion and report back.
mfrank1

Postby MDMayer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm

It happens with my Roku too from time to time. If you hit the pause for a few seconds and then continue, it clears up the trouble. Not a permanent solution, I know, but a quick fix when needed.
MDMayer

Postby mfrank1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Changing DNS to OpenDNS made no difference. I'll have to try the pause technique. But the fact that someone else is having the same problem suggests it may not be anything in my setup but, rather, may be a problem between Netflix and Roku.
mfrank1

Postby mfrank1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Just to follow up: the pause technique didn't help, I'm afraid. The only thing that seems to work is to actually exit the movie to the menu and then resume the movie in a minute or two. Very irritating.
mfrank1

Postby Eugenia » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:35 pm

I've seen this with some movies, and the first season of Stargate:Universe. The problem does NOT appear on the 2nd season or on most other movies. So it might not be the Roku to blame, but faulty encoding over at Netflix. The problem appears on these films on my GoogleTV Netflix app too.
Blog: http://eugenia.queru.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/EugeniaLoli
Videos: http://vimeo.com/eugenia/videos
Eugenia

Postby mfrank1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:37 am

To those who offered suggestions (and those who might), here is an update: I decided to go all in and drill a hole in my floor so I could run an Ethernet cable directly from the modem to the Roku in the floor below. I went through the recommended powering down/up routing and - <Force equals mass times acceleration> - after an hour of watching Silverado the stuttering started up again. Guess my only option is now Apple TV.
mfrank1

Postby idrmrsr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:30 am

It isn't a Roku problem entirely. I have an Amazon tablet and a Blu Ray player and both of them exhibit stutter. I also have observed it on Amazon instant watch videos.

I believe (I am not a technician so here's my interpretation) it is due to a mismatch between the frame rate of the encoding and that of the player. I gather that one side may be showing at 29.97 frames per second and being fed a stream of 30 frames per second, or maybe it's vice versa. Hence after a while, like two metronomes slightly out of sync, there is a frame skipped every so often, then it gets back in sync, then it goes out again, causing the stutter.

I once watched GIANT, with Rock Hudson playing a huge ranch owner in Texas. The movie starts out with probably a legendary stampede scene, thousands of cattle running around the plains like a horde of locusts. The stuttering made them start and stop occasionally like some kind of comic skit.

I LOLed at that. But I would say one out of four programs I watch streaming have stutter/sync issues at times. I'm getting so my mind tunes them out, they are that frequent, across platforms.
idrmrsr

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion