[Private Channel] HGTV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: [Private Channel] HGTV

Postby jmsgirl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 am

I am new to Roku. I just got the private HGTV channel. Will the channel update automatically with different episodes or are those the only episodes that will ever be on there? I'm currently recovering from a c-section and I've watched them all.... :lol: I wasn't sure how private channels work. Do I just have to search for a new private HGTV channel after I watch all the episodes (like a VHS or DVD of a TV show) or is it actually like a TV channel that updates on it's own?

Thank you! - jmsgirl
jmsgirl

Postby krisbee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:38 am

They will update on their own - however sometimes it is a LONG time (months, even). It is whatever is available from their website where it is pulled.
krisbee

Postby jmsgirl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:32 am

HGTV Channel is no longer working. Does anyone know why?
jmsgirl

Postby mike_b » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 pm

From the message that I'm seeing it looks like HGTV has requested that Roku stop providing HGTV content in a Roku private channel. If this is the case, the Roku has suddenly become less valuable in my house.
Mike - Roku 3
mike_b

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Apparently HGTV and FoodTV both issued takedown notices to Roku for the private channels that play those feeds.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krisbee » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Bummer... it was the only way I got Holmes on Holmes at my house, but I guess I will just have to go to the website...

Any of these private channels that bypass commercials (intentionally or not) always have that potential of going down. Nobody's fault, though hopefully the these content providers see the value of the audience and develop their own channels. Heck, ask theendless and nowhereman to get invovled and get your ads in, and the publish the same channel back in the public channel store!

Wish the old youtube channel get published public the exact same way as it used to be, but with some banners added (maybe every 5th video have a commercial?). That would be perfect.
krisbee

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 pm

krisbee wrote:Bummer... it was the only way I got Holmes on Holmes at my house, but I guess I will just have to go to the website...

Any of these private channels that bypass commercials (intentionally or not) always have that potential of going down. Nobody's fault, though hopefully the these content providers see the value of the audience and develop their own channels. Heck, ask theendless and nowhereman to get invovled and get your ads in, and the publish the same channel back in the public channel store!

Wish the old youtube channel get published public the exact same way as it used to be, but with some banners added (maybe every 5th video have a commercial?). That would be perfect.

I wish the providers would spend a few weeks and put a real channel out there, as ad-supported as they like. It's absurd that HGTV will let me watch their content (they're providing it on the web, it's not like there's something underhanded going on) on a computer, as long as that computer isn't a Roku. It's their choice, but it's a stupid one.
mikebdoss

Postby TheEndless » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:32 pm

krisbee wrote:Bummer... it was the only way I got Holmes on Holmes at my house, but I guess I will just have to go to the website...

The Food Network Nighttime channel actually preserved the ad breaks in the stream, so that shouldn't have been an issue there. From a glass half full perspective, this could be an indication that they're looking into creating official channels. The HGTV iPhone app fully supports AirPlay to an AppleTV, so it's definitely within the realm of possibility.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby cbojar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:45 pm

That means we're all just going to have to pester HGTV to release their own channel, even if it comes with ads.
cbojar

Postby chris0071 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:09 pm

I sure hope that they come out with their own channel.

It's weird that they would let this go for an entire year, and then decide to crack down. Hopefully that means that an HGTV channel is on the way ..... but people opined the same when YouTube asked for the YouTube channel to be shut down, and that hasn't happened yet.
chris0071

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:14 pm

it just means that HGTV is cracking down. They're a cable network and don't want people watching on TV without cable. Look at the cable networks on hulu.com, and then look at the cable networks on Hulu Plus.. Don't anyone hold their breathe waiting for a channel. If anything they'll do silly authenticated channel like the Epix channel. Adds value to an existing cable sub I suppose, but I'm betting the majority of people watching HGTV with their Rokus were people who didn't get the channel on cable
stratcat96

Postby KennyJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:49 pm

What I don't understand is WHY they see themselves as cable channels.
KennyJ

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 pm

KennyJ wrote:What I don't understand is WHY they see themselves as cable channels.

Because their money comes from contracts with cable and satellite companies. Without them, they'd be nothing. We all like to think "oh, just sell me your channel directly, I'd pay a couple dollars a month for it!", but even if every Roku owner did that (and more likely, maybe 1% of us would), it wouldn't be anywhere near the exposure they get via their contracts with the service providers, and this exposure lets the channels sell advertising at higher rates. Most channels don't care because streaming is still very much a niche.
mikebdoss

Postby KennyJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:55 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
KennyJ wrote:What I don't understand is WHY they see themselves as cable channels.

Because their money comes from contracts with cable and satellite companies. Without them, they'd be nothing. We all like to think "oh, just sell me your channel directly, I'd pay a couple dollars a month for it!", but even if every Roku owner did that (and more likely, maybe 1% of us would), it wouldn't be anywhere near the exposure they get via their contracts with the service providers, and this exposure lets the channels sell advertising at higher rates. Most channels don't care because streaming is still very much a niche.

But do their contracts prevent them from offering their channels to non-cable subscribers? It seems like if people were willing to give them money in addition to their cable contracts, it's a win-win for them.
KennyJ

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 pm

KennyJ wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

But do their contracts prevent them from offering their channels to non-cable subscribers? It seems like if people were willing to give them money in addition to their cable contracts, it's a win-win for them.

They very well might, at least via a television. Which is why they offer up some of their stuff via the web, but not on devices that output to a TV.

In addition, the contracts they have with the companies that produce their shows might limit what they can distribute, and via what channels. So a given show can be shown on their channel, but not streamed (very few networks have exclusive rights to the shows they air - even the "branded" ones - so that complicates things too).
mikebdoss

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion