5GHz wireless coonection to Roku 2 -- None !

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

5GHz wireless coonection to Roku 2 -- None !

Postby mel_the_snowbird » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi:

1. Roku 2
2. D-Link Model DIR-825 (wireless 2.4 and 5 GHz plus 'wired' also)
3. Wired (Ok) Wireless at 2.4GHz (Ok), Wireless at 5GHz -- None !

7. www.cox.net
8. Arizona
9. HDMI
10. 4 devices (Apache Server, two Win XPs, and Apple iPad2
11. I can easily connect with an ethernet wired connection, and can also easily connect with my 2.4 GHz wireless connection. Also, my iPad can easily connect to my 5GHz wireless connection.

Also, my older Roku could also connect with my 5 GHZ wireless connection.

I have tried a 'zillion' new setupds (both automated and manual) with a bunch of different channels, but to no avail.

I just cannot get Roku 2 to 'see' my 5 GHZ channel. But, as I noted, it always 'sees' my 2.4 GHZ, and sometimes other channels in the area, but NOT my 5GHZ :(((

Can you suggest a fix ?? (btw, I have also tried unplugging the Roku 2 frequently. This morning I 'scanned again' severn times, after making changes in my router to select different channels.)

Thanks,

-Mel Smith
email: syntel@cox.net
mel_the_snowbird

Re: 5GHz wireless coonection to Roku 2 -- None !

Postby kc8pql » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Roku2 doesn't do 5GHz, only 2.4. I believe only the R1 XDS is duel band wireless N.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mel_the_snowbird » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi:
Thanks for the response.

Am disappointed that my *new* Roku 2 does not have the features in my old one :((

But thanks anyway (But how did I miss this when shopping --- Hmmmm ...)

-Mel Smith
mel_the_snowbird

Postby wxman2003 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Roku only states wireless N in their advertising. Wish they would be more open about this in their advertising.
wxman2003

Postby Ing5 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:46 pm

kc8pql wrote:Roku2 doesn't do 5GHz, only 2.4. I believe only the R1 XDS is duel band wireless N.

The Roku-1 XR also has dual band.

Back in March, RokuShawn posted this:
"Okay guys, here's the skinny on the lack of dual-band:
I know some of you will be disappointed by this (especially the techies amongst us), but internal testing (performance logs, etc) showed no significant performance improvement with the dual band models, so the decision was made to simplify it for the Roku 2."
Ing5

Postby gjlowe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:49 am

That is lame. What about those of us that separate our N traffic from our G traffic and dedicate 5GHz only to N and 2.4 to G? I guess they didn't think of that.
gjlowe

Postby kc8pql » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:49 am

^ I suspect they did think about that, but there have been very few complaints here about the lack of dual band N on the R2s, so number of users that separate their traffic is probably extremely small.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby aaronwt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:31 am

If the wireless Network is setup properly, you will see identical speeds from 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with devices like the Roku.
Part of setting the wireless Network up properly means never saturating the AP which also means having multiple APs.
On my network I can easily get 100Mb/s+ speeds over 2.4Ghz N or 5Ghz N from the devices capable of those speeds. For devices like the Roku which uses low bitrate content, that has never been an issue.
Roku 3
Roku 2 XS--Roku 2 XD
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
aaronwt

Postby JimDandySTX » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 am

I second what aaronwt said. My 2.4Ghz wireless N my router is showing the potential bandwidth of my network as 120Mbs and on occasion it drops below this but never so low as to degrade streaming video. In fact I don't notice any difference in video quality when connected with my wireless G AP which tops out at 54Mbs.

I wouldn't expect to see any difference as my ISP only delivers a maximum download speed of 3 Mbs so this is the limiting factor on streaming video across the internet. My SlingBox stream on my LAN tops out at 4 Mbs for SD video. HD on the LAN would take a couple of more MBS. Streaming video speed isn't the reason you need the potential of 300 Mbs at 5 Mhz.

The only reason I can see for having higher network bandwidth is if you want to use a networked drive for backups and it is a problem that it takes many hours to back up hundreds of GB. I do my backups at night so this isn't a problem for me.

The speeds router manufactures advertise for their routers is the same type of marketing hype that occurs when auto manufactures put speedometers in cars going up to 150 mph when on a flat road with a tailwind the car that it is installed in would top out at 110 mph.
JimDandySTX

Postby johnb6597 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:26 pm

The answer from Roku regarding their abandonment of 5Ghz reception on Roku2 devices is a bit short-sighted...as an example, our family hub for IT technology is the home office. Our kitchen is located directly midway between the home office and our living room HDTV with our new Roku XS attached to it. In our kitchen is a 1200-watt microwave oven. When we decide to pop popcorn in the microwave as a snack with our Roku-driven content, our 2.4Ghz wireless connection to the Roku is badly interrupted...point of fact is the Roku doesn't work at all, and the only way to resume the 2.4Ghz wireless connection to it is to disconnect the power and restart it. If the Roku2 XS was 5Ghz-capable, we would not have this problem, as 5Ghz transmissions are unaffected by microwaves. So, I paid $100 for the "best" Roku on the market, and enjoy a blazing 5Ghz wireless signal from my router...but can't get them to talk with each other. In today's environment, I think that's ridiculous. It's not about signal strength or connection speeds...it's all about interference in the 2.4Ghz transmissions!

Also, if Roku is unwilling to support 5Ghz, then they should add that information as a disclaimer on their website so consumers can make informed purchasing decisions regarding Roku products.
johnb6597

Postby RickRansom » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm

johnb6597 wrote:If the Roku2 XS was 5Ghz-capable, we would not have this problem, as 5Ghz transmissions are unaffected by microwaves. So, I paid $100 for the "best" Roku on the market, and enjoy a blazing 5Ghz wireless signal from my router...but can't get them to talk with each other.

1.) Roku 2s in general are only single band, so those of us with a dual-band router(mine is a Cisco E3000) will have to settle with the 2.4ghz network since the R2 is not dual-band.
2.) I do however have a Roku 1 XD|S which is dual-band that can run on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
My Roku 2 in the media room is 25 feet from my router connecting to the 2.4ghz network while the XD|S is the master bedroom 50ft away connecting to my 5ghz network.

Both my players work flawlessly over my 6mbps connection.
If you want to take advantage of your 5ghz network, go ahead and purchase an XD|S from http://www.roku.com/accessories#6.

If you want to go all the way to make your Roku 2 XS to connect over your 5ghz network, there is a way though. Go ahead and purchase a dual-band wireless bridge that can connect to the Roku over ethernet.
Roku connects wired to 5ghz capable wireless adapter > 5ghz capable wireless adapter connects to 5ghz network > done.
I have a Cisco WET610N that I use for my PS3 so it can connect wirelessly to the 5ghz network from my E3000. For curiosity's sake, I took my wireless bridge and connected it to my Roku 2 XS. On my XS, I ran the network as "WIRED" and everything went fine.
Yes, there is a way to make your Roku 2(model XS) to connect to your 5ghz network but it will need some additional hardware and reconfiguration.
To put it straight, spending another ~$60 for the wireless bridge is not worth the fuss.
Try a power line. Those work great as well, no interferences.

If you do decide to go for the R1 XD|S, the only downside is that since it runs on the Roku 1(3.x software), that means it doesn't come along with adaptive streaming and closed caption for Netflix.
One plus though is that the movie WILL always show in the highest quality possible. So as long as your internet speed is up to the task, you'll get HD quality(provided that the content is in HD) all the way through compared to adaptive streaming on the Roku 2.

I may not be getting closed caption with Netflix on my Roku 1, but since it can work flawlessly over my 5ghz network from 50ft away I'll consider it a bargain.
Getting a new Roku(a Roku 1 XD|S on top of that) may not be the best solution I can suggest to you, but it is an alternative.
Hope this helps. :D
Retired
RickRansom

Postby destruk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 pm

JimDandySTX wrote:The speeds router manufactures advertise for their routers is the same type of marketing hype that occurs when auto manufactures put speedometers in cars going up to 150 mph when on a flat road with a tailwind the car that it is installed in would top out at 110 mph.

Not true Jim. :( The reason your car's engine turns off at 110 or 120 is because there is a government mandated 'speed governor' installed to kill the engine when you speed in the USA. You can have that removed in Europe on american-made cars.
destruk

Postby elmoso » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Please be advised that the wireless N speed connection also runs on the 2.5Ghz frequency which will take full advantage of 300Mbps+ speeds or whatever the top speed of your wireless N router is. Dual band routers have the ability to transmit the same 108.11n speed on both 2.5Ghz & 5Ghz frequency, as long as your router's manufacture has implemented that (most do and you may need to configure it to do so as well). Whatever device you use to connect to a 108.11b/g/n capable router. Your 108.11n device will always use the 108.11n speed frequency and the rest that do not support the "N" will use the lesser protocol on the same 2.5Ghz frequency. It is true that Roku has the ability to see dual band signals whereas the Roku 2 can only see the 2.5Ghz frequency. None the less, the Roku 2 player is a 108.11n 2.5Ghz capable device and will use the maximum "N" speed that your router can transmit on that 2.5Ghz frequency and will stream fast enough to watch your netflix and other 720p/1080p content with no problem and your home network speed will not be affected.

Hope this bit of educational info helps out.
elmoso

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 pm

do you mean "802.11n" at "2.4ghz"?
stratcat96

Postby adam355 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 am

This is absolutely unacceptable. My roku 2 is going back and here is why.

I live in an apartment complex of over 800 units and the 2.4 ghz bank is so over crowded that I am dropping data and have very bad latency. Basically any device I use on this band is unusable even after trying all of the channels. The 5 ghz band is virtually empty and I use all laptops and tablets on it with no issue.

The roku 2 will barely load the menus more or less play a show. It is very disappointing that they took out the 5 ghz band to save them costs. Well they lost a customer.
adam355

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion