Roku 2 XS won't perform a true factory reset

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2 XS won't perform a true factory reset

Postby The Doctor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Hello,

Regarding my Roku 2 XS, I am unable to perform a factory reset of my Roku 2 XS. I go into Settings and choose Factory Reset and confirm. It appears to do the reset as you'd expect (which I've done successfully in the past on previous Roku Players that I've owned). Then it takes me back to the initial setup screen to configure networking settings. I choose wireless, and select my wireless network. The problem is, doing the reset fails to wipe out the saved network password for my wireless router, and also fails to remove any channels from the main screen of the Roku player. In fact, if I go into Netflix, Amazon Video, Pandora, etc. I am automatically logged into them. This proves that the reset is in fact not resetting to factory settings because channels aren't being cleared, settings aren't restored to defaults, and previously saved account credentials and the wireless password are still saved and automatically used.

I've tried doing a factory reset numerous times over the past few days with the same identical results. I've tried power cycling to no avail. I am currently on software 4.1 build 2669 (as of 11-14-2011).

I am not using HDMI. Image, video, and sound are fine. I just need to do an actual "real" factory reset and have it clear my channels, login information and wireless credentials/settings (an actual total factory reset). Please advise or offer suggestions.

Note, I have not tried the paperclip reset yet (30 seconds of holding it in with a paperclip in the back of the player) but hopefully will have a paperclip tomorrow with which to try that reset method. Is it more likely to succeed than doing it through software? Is there a difference which way you do a reset?

Thank you.
The Doctor

Re: Roku 2 XS won't perform a true factory reset

Postby jhernes » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Most of the time unlinking your player from your Roku.com account will do the trick... :wink:
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Postby The Doctor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks for the idea! I unlinked it via the Roku website and power cycled the Roku. It came up and all the channels were gone except: (Settings and Channel Store, plus HBO GO promotional channel) Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, and very oddly, it also added MLB.TV to the channels, though I never had added it to my Roku Player at any time. They were even in the same order I had them in prior to unlinking my player (except MLB.TV which I never added). I opened up Netflix and Amazon as tests, and was able to browse my queue (Netflix) and library (Amazon) and play video from each, without being signed into the Roku player using a Roku account. Odd. So I tried the factory reset again from the Settings. Same exact thing after reboot. Still had my wireless password stored, same channels, still able to login and use them fine without having to re-set them up or re-link them. Then, I did a reset again, and this time I re-linked the Roku Player. Upon reboot, it downloaded 16 channels total, the ones I had previously, just like before. So I'm back at square one. Clearly, something is very amiss here.

One thing I did notice recently... which may or may not be responsible for this problem.

I had the Roku Holiday Channel added last year and never removed it. When I upgraded to a Roku XS 2 when they first came out some months ago, it automatically downloaded this channel and it still worked fine. It recently disappeared without me removing it. Every time I do an update or go into the Channels, it shows on screen that it's updating the Roku Holiday Channel. Every single time. I wonder if they didn't remove it and somehow it corrupted something in my account, or on my Roku, and there's no way to actually remove the channel via the player now, or via the website, so far as I can tell. I'm not sure if this is the cause but it is actually the main reason I wanted to do a factory reset in the first place, to get rid of the message about it that is frequently shown on the player's display.
The Doctor

Postby bandal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:53 am

1. Unlink Roku in your account.
2. Use a Paperclip and hold for 30 seconds on the back of your Roku with the power on and then release it. It will wipe all.
bandal

Postby knuckle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 am

Now if one has two roku units when this factory reset box is relinked to your account will all the channels of other linked rokus be added back in?
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby bandal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:41 am

Yes, they will be added back in. Workaround is to set up a new e-mail account on the Roku site. Then PM Support to clear your settings from the original e-mail account if you need it back.
bandal

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:28 am

Wait a minute, let me get this straight — and maybe a whole new thread is needed for this, or a sticky....
Are you saying that there's a "workaround" for getting things back the way they were if one fully resets a Roku box from scratch? That there is, in effect, a way to "backup" one's channels and settings and "restore" them to a fresh install?
I can kind of visualize how this would work if one owns more than one Roku, but how would it work, if at all, for users owning only a single Roku box?
I just went to my account and see that only a single email address can be attached to an account. I'm not following how deleting that email and attaching another will get one's channels and setting back after a wipe.
You know, this is all very convoluted. My TiVo is the same way: One's settings and Season Passes can get backed-up to the mother ship in the "cloud" and get restored if a new TiVo is bought, but only as a side-effect and mere afterthought to turning-on at least one of two seemingly unrelated features ("KidZone" and/or something else I can't remember). Why does this have to be so hard? If Roku is pushing defective firmware updates on our Roku boxes without our permission (and, mind you, they're *our* boxes, not yours, and not Roku's), then why not just explicitly have a section in our account webpage where we can manage our backups of Roku channels & settings?
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Postby mommom » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Is there some reason why you would want to do a factory reset the hard way instead of holding a paperclip for 30 seconds? Or is it just that you did not have a paper clip or pin or something handy?
mommom

Postby kc8pql » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 pm

jhernes wrote:Most of the time unlinking your player from your Roku.com account will do the trick... :wink:

+1 An important part of a "true" factory reset, one you would do if you were going to sell or give the box away, is to unlink the box from your Roku account. Then do the factory reset from the settings menu. That will wipe the box clean.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby traal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:56 pm

kc8pql wrote:An important part of a "true" factory reset, one you would do if you were going to sell or give the box away, is to unlink the box from your Roku account. Then do the factory reset from the settings menu. That will wipe the box clean.

And if you fail to do it in the right order, whoever gets your Roku box will have your wireless password.

That's kind of scary.
traal

Postby The Doctor » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Presently I only have one Roku (2 XS) and it is the only one linked to my Roku account.

I did not have a paperclip or anything similar handy at the time.

I did actually do a factory reset from the software in the Settings after unlinking my Roku box. It failed to clear my wireless password or Netflix / Hulu Plus / Amazon Video / Pandora credentials.

I am hoping the paperclip method will prove more reliable for me. (I am presently at work, so I won't know for a few more hours, and tonight I'll be "armed" with a paperclip).

If someone were to have your wireless password, you could further restrict your wireless network by locking down access based upon MAC address. Even with the password, they could still not get on the router if their MAC wasn't on the list.
The Doctor

Postby renojim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 pm

I'd call it a bug if the "Factory reset" settings option doesn't actually do a factory reset. I'm surprised no one from Roku has chimed in.

About the wireless password issue - seriously, how is someone going to find your AP? This really is a non-issue.

-JT
renojim

Postby traal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:34 pm

renojim wrote:About the wireless password issue - seriously, how is someone going to find your AP?

Wardriving databases have your access point name and geographic coordinates.
traal

Postby renojim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:48 pm

So you're worried that someone might drive hundreds or thousands of miles to tap into your connection? Unless you're selling to a neighbor, it really is a non-issue.

-JT
renojim

Postby traal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Wouldn't the Roku be an even better product if the factory reset cleared out all of your settings?
traal

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion