Slingplayer coming to Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Slingplayer coming to Roku?

Postby HeadShrinker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Just saw the demo of the slingplayer app for the boxee box. It sounded like they want to bring this to other boxes as well so I'm super excited this might be coming to the Roku soon. The best part was, at least for the boxee box, there was no charge for the app- unlike the $30 I had to shell out for the iphone app and the OTHER $30 I had to shell out for the iPad app. Hope this is coming soon!
HeadShrinker

Re: Slingplayer coming to Roku?

Postby ignaurus13 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I really hope thats true. Awesome!
ignaurus13

Postby mommom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:23 am

You still have to spend another $200 for a Slingbox.
"""With a connected SlingBox, a Boxee Box basically turns into a one-stop-shop. The device was already one of the best streamer with access to most online video sources including Netflix and all the media companies. Now, as long as there’s a SlingBox in play, the ‘Box has access to cable content. Put a SlingBox on one of your cable boxes and then install the Boxee Box on a bedroom TV. Or, even better, convince one of your buddies to let you put a SlingBox on one of his cable boxes""""
mommom

Postby advocate2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:57 am

I've been hoping for this for a long time. I have Sling's set up in Rio de Janeiro and San Diego. My Slingcatcher in Vegas is on its last legs and Sling doesn't sell the Catcher anymore.

This would be huge for both Roku and Sling.
advocate2

Postby AmazinglySmooth » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:37 pm

I would use it when I visit my family. They have a Roku, but lousy cable service.
AmazinglySmooth

Postby midsummers_knight » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 am

i've seen this same discussion on the slingbox forum. it has been over a year and a half since slingplayer for roku was breached there. is anyone from roku monotoring the other forums? googletv has slingplayer, boxee has slingplayer, when will roku have it? if it is not going to happen then please say so.
midsummers_knight

Postby TheEndless » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:30 am

midsummers_knight wrote:i've seen this same discussion on the slingbox forum. it has been over a year and a half since slingplayer for roku was breached there. is anyone from roku monotoring the other forums? googletv has slingplayer, boxee has slingplayer, when will roku have it? if it is not going to happen then please say so.

That's up to Sling Media, not Roku. Sling wrote the apps for GoogleTV and Boxee (and iOS), so they'd need to do the same for Roku. You'd be better served asking them about it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Matt9876 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:27 am

Picked up a used Have Platinum streamer for $120 on Amazon.com,Used the IR remote learning feature on the Hava to control the Roku and DirecTV receiver that controls the Video/audio in/out for the Roku and antenna channels OTA channels.

Had to purchase a Roku IR remote for $9.99 to get the remote control codes.

Ended up with streaming everything to my PC,Iphone and Itouch devices, also the Hava has a built in one shot recorder that works from the PC.
ROKU 3
ROKU 2 XS
ROKU HD
Simple TV OTA DVR
Matt9876

Postby hodula1 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:39 am

TheEndless wrote:
midsummers_knight wrote:i've seen this same discussion on the slingbox forum. it has been over a year and a half since slingplayer for roku was breached there. is anyone from roku monotoring the other forums? googletv has slingplayer, boxee has slingplayer, when will roku have it? if it is not going to happen then please say so.

That's up to Sling Media, not Roku. Sling wrote the apps for GoogleTV and Boxee (and iOS), so they'd need to do the same for Roku. You'd be better served asking them about it.

I know this thread is old, but thought I'd bring it back up again. A slingplayer plugin was developed for XBMC using the unencrypted stream on Slingboxes up to the Slingbox Pro (doesn't work on the Slingbox Pro HD). Wondering if something similar can be leveraged for Roku?
hodula1

Postby radiocolin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Slingplayer was released for WDTV today. So consider this a continuation of a plea for Slingplayer for Roku.

I bet the Roku's menu-based system and lack of a keypad presents some unique UI challenges for Slingplayer. Although I believe the Simple.tv guys are making a program-guide style interface.
radiocolin

Postby socantra » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:36 pm

hodula1 wrote:
TheEndless wrote:That's up to Sling Media, not Roku. Sling wrote the apps for GoogleTV and Boxee (and iOS), so they'd need to do the same for Roku. You'd be better served asking them about it.

http://answers.slingbox.com/index.jspa
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby radiocolin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:14 pm

That doesn't mean Roku, if they are interested in having Sling as a content partner, would not try to persuade them to launch such a product.
radiocolin

Postby oaomcg » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:21 pm

this needs to happen
i was very disappointed to get my Roku and find out i can't watch my slingbox
oaomcg

Postby bfelts » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:38 am

It's kind of sad that it's taken this long to get Slingplayer support on the Roku, and we still don't have it. I mean even XBMC running on modded classic Xbox consoles can digest Slingbox streams now... WDTV getting it after Boxee is just another punch in the eye. Considering Roku and Echostar's Dish are working together on the International channels so closely, I hope that Echostar-owned Sling Media can get a Roku app going!

byron
bfelts

Postby radiocolin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 pm

One thing you will notice is that the SlingPlayer looks the same across all these devices. They all seem to be running a Flash web app that lives at slingbox.com/gtv.

Edit: Yep. http://download.slingmedia.com/spcd/wdtv/index.html
radiocolin

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion