Channel idea. TV Tuner access from PC/MAC.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Channel idea. TV Tuner access from PC/MAC.

Postby Crow550 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:59 pm

If someone developed an app where you could access a TV tuner on the Roku box and not only stream live TV from it but have all the features of pausing and setting & watching DVR recordings from a PC/MAC to the Roku. That would rock. :D

Would be much easier to have a more powerful PC do the work and stream it to the box than if Roku added USB hard drive & Tuner support.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Channel idea. TV Tuner access from PC/MAC.

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Crow550 wrote:If someone developed an app where you could access a TV tuner on the Roku box and not only stream live TV from it but have all the features of pausing and setting & watching DVR recordings from a PC/MAC to the Roku. That would rock. :D

Would be much easier to have a more powerful PC do the work and stream it to the box than if Roku added USB hard drive & Tuner support.

I'd like my car to take me into space, but for the same reasons, neither of our dreams is going to happen.
mikebdoss

Postby mommom » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:04 am

""Would be much easier to have a more powerful PC do the work""

Theres your answer.The Roku is not powerful enough.If they made it that powerful,it would be an HTPC.
mommom

Postby Crow550 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:55 am

mommom wrote:""Would be much easier to have a more powerful PC do the work""

Theres your answer.The Roku is not powerful enough.If they made it that powerful,it would be an HTPC.

You don't think it would be cool then to access the PC tuner on the Roku? Remote access.
Crow550

Postby gonzotek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:51 am

Chris has already done it, see the Nowhere DVR section on his roku page: http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:53 am

gonzotek wrote:Chris has already done it, see the Nowhere DVR section on his roku page: http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

You need a Mac running EyeTV for that to work. It's far from a universal solution.
mikebdoss

Postby gonzotek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:59 am

mikebdoss wrote:
gonzotek wrote:Chris has already done it, see the Nowhere DVR section on his roku page: http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

You need a Mac running EyeTV for that to work. It's far from a universal solution.
Details, details :). I was answering Crow's OP of an idea for a tuner channel via a Mac/pc, pointing out that there is already a proof of concept. If it can be done with an eyetv and a Mac, it can be redone in with other tuner cards in windows and Linux. Just takes someone putting out the effort.
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
gonzotek

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:00 am

there really is no universal solution because the Roku is a "dumb" box designed for streaming from the internet. There are limits to what even the best developers can do.

Gobble Gobble
stratcat96

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:08 am

stratcat96 wrote:there really is no universal solution because the Roku is a "dumb" box designed for streaming from the internet. There are limits to what even the best developers can do.

Gobble Gobble

Exactly. It doesn't have a TV Tuner =)

I'd love a channel that worked with my HDHomeRun, but I'm not holding my breath, mostly because I'm not sure it's technically possible. Right now my Antenna -> HDHomerun -> MythTV -> MythWeb -> Roku hack works, but it's messy.
mikebdoss

Postby mommom » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:26 pm

I dont mind using a Pc ,all of our tv's have some sort of Pc connection,in addition to Roku,Blueray,Wii Netflix and Pkayon,etc.Some things are just better and yes,easier with a pc.Some times the ease of Roku is wanted,sometimes the blueray is already in use,whatever.I like choices.DH loves Roku,but he can now get around on the pc and even watch Icefilms without my help(Luddite).Granddaughter loves Roku,but she uses Kylo on the Pc to find all of the kids content.Grandsons use it all,if they are playing the Wii before watcching NF,thats what they use,there is no Roku in their room but they use Kylo on the pc .I like variety and am always looking for more content,even though I have too much to watch now.Accessing my tv tuner from the Roku sounds interesting,but is unnecessary .
mommom

Postby standypain » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Did anyone pick up an EyeTV on black Friday for $39.99? I did so I can setup the Nowhere DVR channel and stream to my Roku's. I was also looking at the older Slingbox Tuner to stream tv but it sounds like the only channel support you can get is a private justin.tv setup. The Slingbox apparently got Boxee so maybe we are not far behind. Does anybody have any personal experience with the EyeTV or Slingbox to Roku?
standypain

Postby krisbee » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:58 am

mikebdoss wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:there really is no universal solution because the Roku is a "dumb" box designed for streaming from the internet. There are limits to what even the best developers can do.

Gobble Gobble

Exactly. It doesn't have a TV Tuner =)

I'd love a channel that worked with my HDHomeRun, but I'm not holding my breath, mostly because I'm not sure it's technically possible. Right now my Antenna -> HDHomerun -> MythTV -> MythWeb -> Roku hack works, but it's messy.

A lot of people are shooting down the idea, but the fact is that the Roku *COULD* act as a tuner for any HD HomeRun device which streams OTA ATSC signals via ethernet. The sticky wicket is that OTA signals are mpeg2, so Roku would have to pay the licensing/royalties to use that codec. Plus the setup, though fairly easy compared to setting up a third party channel like Roksbox or Chaneru, still would confuse the average non-tech consumer, I think, and the tech support would be a nightmare. The only way I can even seen it working is that Roku supports mpeg2, and partners with the HDHomerun folks and THEY support and troubleshoot, leaving the Roku team out of it.

The HDHomeRun software is open source, and the linux commandline tools allows you to automatically search the network for available tuners, change channels, etc. Now if you had two Rokus trying to access, it would be a nightmare - one might have to actually just buy one tuner for each Roku if you wanted a multi setup.

The NowhereDVR, while very neat, has to transcode the signal live, which I think why it uses such a low resolution. Perhaps this is where Plex could step in and make a plugin that interfaces with an HDHomeRun. Of course, if you use an HDHomeRun with any DVR software (and of course you do!), you will most likely mess up your recordings, but I digress.

I am happy for the MythTV channel to watch my MythTV setup, but you do have to wait after the fact and go through transcoding, plus no live. But enough about that, the thread is TV Tuner access, and I believe it can be done.

Even beyond that, I think if you had an HDHomeRun Prime and Roku had mpeg2 support, you could watch your encrypted cable as well, since that uses a cablecard and then streams the signal via ethernet. However, I don't know what codecs are used on cable, maybe there isn't one standard.
krisbee

Postby gonzotek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:14 am

krisbee wrote:Even beyond that, I think if you had an HDHomeRun Prime and Roku had mpeg2 support, you could watch your encrypted cable as well, since that uses a cablecard and then streams the signal via ethernet. However, I don't know what codecs are used on cable, maybe there isn't one standard.
It's pretty much always mpeg2-ts. U-Verse and satellite(well Directv, not sure about dish) use h.264, but you wouldn't be using a hdhomerun with them anyway. We can use TiVo as a bit of a gauge here: how often do you hear people complaining that the TiVo won't work with a cable provider because of codec incompatibilities? We hear lots of complaints about other incompatibilities, but not codec :).
gonzotek

Postby John in Edmonds » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:48 pm

I would love to see an HDHomerun solution (over Wired/Wireless Ethernet) or an ATSC(/NTSC) device that would work on the USB Port (2 x Roku2 XS user)
John in Edmonds

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion