HDMI Port Not Working

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HDMI Port Not Working

Postby Gaz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Hello,
I just purchased a Roku 2 XS on 11/26/2011 and set up the composite video with the cable supplied. Everything works great. Since my TV (RCA L22HD32D A) supports HDMI, I decided to run the Roku through the HDMI port instead. Problem is, I cannot get a signal out of the HDMI interface (neither audio nor video). Here is what I have tried:

1.) With both the TV and the Roku powered off, unplug the 1/8" composite cable jack from the Roku and plug in the HDMI cable into the TV and the Roku, power on both TV and Roku. (TV video input is set to HDMI) -- the boot up screen never shows up.

2.) When I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the Roku and plug the 1/8" composite cable jack back in and switch the video input on the TV back to composite, it works fine again (i.e. original configuration).

3.) If I unplug the 1/8" composite cable jack and plug in the HDMI cable on the back of the Roku and then switch the TV back to the HDMI input, there is still no signal.

4.) If I leave the HDMI and 1/8" composite video jack plugged into the Roku, I only get audio on the composite TV input and nothing (neither sound nor video) on the HDMI.

5.) If I switch the TV back to composite input and unplug the HDMI cable, I get audio and video through the composite input on the TV (i.e. original configuration).

Is there something in the original setup that forces you to use the video configuration you originally setup that keeps you from switching video outputs? In other words, do I have to do a hard factory reset and then go through the setup again to enable the HDMI output?
Gaz

Re: HDMI Port Not Working

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 pm

To answer your last question first, no, there's not setting forcing you to use the original setup.

I would try using a different HDMI cable first, and then secondly if you have another device that is HDMI, see if it works.

One of three things is likely happening:

1) The Roku HDMI port is a bad one
2) The TV HDMI port is a bad one
3) The cable is a bad one

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 pm

4.) If I leave the HDMI and 1/8" composite video jack plugged into the Roku, I only get audio on the composite TV input and nothing (neither sound nor video) on the HDMI.

this may mean that the hdmi port of the Roku at least is working because the shutoff for composite video out is done via hdmi connection to the Roku. If the Roku's hdmi was burnt out, or had a faulty connection I don't think it would "know" there's a cable plugged into it. Do you have any other hdmi devices to try in the TV?
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 pm

stratcat96 wrote:

this may mean that the hdmi port of the Roku at least is working because the shutoff for composite video out is done via hdmi connection to the Roku. If the Roku's hdmi was burnt out, or had a faulty connection I don't think it would "know" there's a cable plugged into it. Do you have any other hdmi devices to try in the TV?

I missed that completely. Good catch.
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby atheling » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:16 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

I missed that completely. Good catch.

Actually there is just one wire in the cable that is used for hot plug detect. So it is possible that the cable is bad with respect to other signals but properly passes HPD. Also, the cable might be good and the Roku is detecting hot-plug but some other part of the video system is having problems. For example, the wires in the cable that allow EDID to be passed from the TV to the Roku could be damaged.
Last edited by atheling on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
atheling

Postby Gaz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Unfortunately the Roku 2 XS is only device I have that has an HDMI output - maybe I can borrow something from a friend to rule out the HDMI cable and the TV.

The HDMI cable I am using is new, however, it could be defective - stranger things have happened. I'll try to find one that is known good or buy another (different brand) and try again.

Are the firmware updates automatic? In other words, do I need to manually check for updates or are they automatic? (I believe they are automatic. :? )
Gaz

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:35 pm

As long as it's connected to the internet, when it's idle it will download the firmware.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby jeffrok » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Make sure you're plugging into HDMI1 if that's what you're selecting on the TV.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby steamer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 pm

I do know that my HDMI connection on my Roku1 is VERY flaky ...
I can easily lose the signal with the slightest movement of the box.
Been that way since day one.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 pm

steamer wrote:I do know that my HDMI connection on my Roku1 is VERY flaky ...

Have you tried other HDMI cables? I know in some instances, if the metal ends of the cable aren't manufactured properly, it can cause erratic behavior.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby kc8pql » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 am

^ ...I've also needed to cut back the end of the plastic plug a bit because it was molded to long and prevented seating all the way in.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby Cotam » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 am

Try to change the cables (from RCA to HDMI) when ROKU in sleep mode.
Cotam

Postby steamer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:38 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:

Have you tried other HDMI cables? I know in some instances, if the metal ends of the cable aren't manufactured properly, it can cause erratic behavior.

C. Shawn Smith

~~~
yes ... ain't the cables but the connection.
once i get it, i just don't move it if i can help it.
btw, that includes moving it to do a reset.
kind of a pain, but i wouldn't trade me Roku 1 for a new one. ;)
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby t.han » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:42 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

I have the EXACT same problem....I have a toshiba LCD TV

My TV has been working perfectly while hooking it up via HDMI to my cable box and Wii and laptop. The HDMI cable works perfectly for them.

When I got my Roku yesterday, I had the exact same problem. Nothing is showing up if I connect over HDMI. If I connect with composite video, it works fine. I have also tried all the steps listed here, plus hard reset. No luck and same as what happened here.

Then I tried connecting my Roku 2 HD to my HD monitor. It works over there. This just puzzles me.

1) My TV HDMI connection is fine with all the other devices but not Roku, so I would assume it's the Roku's problem.
2) Now the Roku works with my monitor via HDMI, so this means the Roku's HDMI connection is fine?

The conclusion would be Roku is incompatible with my TV!??!!??!
This is my TV: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00141 ... 00_details

I expect a reply soon, please?

Thanks!!
t.han

Postby t.han » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:56 pm

okay so I just tried on my friend's Toshiba TV. It's a different model, but also a Toshiba. It works great.

I AM VERY CONFUSED.....the only explanation would be a problem between my TV and the Roku 2!

Then I guess Roku should stop saying that it would work with all SD and HD TVs, because it doesn't. A list of incompatible TVs should be provided!
t.han

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion