Double Green Flashing Lights on Roku 2

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Double Green Flashing Lights on Roku 2

Postby firehawk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:19 pm

I am not sure this has been covered completely or I have not seen a decent solution yet so here goes.

I have a Roku 2 and a Roku 1. My Roku 1 and I have a great relationship after my positive experience I decided to buy another Roku (the Roku 2) for another TV when the new version was released. This new one has been a pain quite frankly. Periodically this thing gets double green flashing lights on it that won't go out and until I reboot the box the lights won't stop flashing and the system will not respond to the remote.

What I have done to try to fix the problem so far:
-Reboot the box (only thing that works), I don't think this is a good solution though and is only a sloppy workaround at best
-Repair the remote (doesn't work)
-Change the batteries (doesn't work)
-Try to update the firmware (no new version available)
-Performed a factory reset and retried and reset everything and nothing.

At this point I am at the end of my rope with this thing and would never ever recommend it to anyone, in my opinion version 1 was great and still is version 2 is junk. I am hoping that someone can change my opinion here and say I just got a defective unit or that I am missing something.

The info I am sure will be asked
-Game remote pairing version FULL:1.1.2.24
-Firmware version: Version 4.1 - Build 2667
-What I am doing when the problem happens? Watching TV, I don't play games with this thing ever.

Please help, I would hate for my Roku 2 to have to "Sleep with the fishes"
firehawk

Re: Double Green Flashing Lights on Roku 2

Postby renojim » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 pm

The double green flashing LEDs that doesn't go away is what happens when you press the little button in the battery compartment to get the remote to re-pair with the box. Rebooting the box gets the sequence to complete, so it may be a long-shot, but I wonder if your button is stuck or flaky. Maybe try pressing it a few times to free it up?

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby firehawk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I saw something that alluded to that as well, but no luck it still has issues.

This sucks, I really like the look and overall features of this product, but this is a huge dealbreaker. I had recommended this product highly to friends and family before, but if this is the norm then forget that action.
firehawk

Postby jeffrok » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:00 pm

You're gonna give up on a product because you had a lemon? I had a lemon with my first Roku XDS.. Got a replacement for it and it's been running solid for over a year.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:07 pm

If you send me your name, address, phone, email, and Roku Serial number, I can put you in contact with a fellow at CS who has been handling any remote issues that come in. In most cases, we just simply exchange the remote if it appears that the one the user received is defective (as may be in your case).

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby berchman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 pm

I've had an identical experience to firehawk and found this thread after searching for "roku remote flashing lights" in Google.

I too have a Roku 1st gen, that I bought a few years ago and it has worked very well. So I bought a Roku 2.
I was surprised when I initially took it out of the box. Much smaller, but also felt "cheaper" (ie, more plastic, less 'solid-state')

I too have tried all the techniques mentioned. Initially I was just like firehawk, having to reboot the Roku 2 and having to wave the remote around for the Roku 2 to detect it.

However, now all I get from the remote is incessant flashing green lights.

I've done resets, reboots, changed cables and ports on TV. Nothing changes the fact that the remote is not talking to the Roku 2.

My Roku 2 is basically a hockey puck without the remote.

RokuShawnS, might I send my info your way as well?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
berchman

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:08 pm

Before you do, these are the instructions I've been sending out to users with this issue:

1. Go into Settings > Firmware Update.
2. Perform the update check, and while it's doing that, quickly remove the batteries from the remote, and then replace them
3. Quickly (and I mean the moment you reinstall the batteries) turn the remote over and insure the LEDs blink.
4. Check the status of the update.

You may have to do this 3-5 times in a row. In CS, we've seen some instances where this procedure worked to get the remote functioning. What I'm guessing is that for whatever reason, the firmware for the remote itself is failing to install properly. Removing the batteries during the update process may help. (You may go so far as to factory reset and do the same steps as above, but I know how painful that can be and won't ask it of you, unless you're feeling adventurous :mrgreen: )

If all of that fails, then definitely send me your contact information, and I'll forward it over to the three people handling these cases. We're getting these non-functional remotes returned and into the hands of the engineer(s) working on why this is happening.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby berchman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Hey Shawn,
Will do. And I will let you know if I have success with the technique.
Really happy to hear that the remotes end up in the hands of curious engineers instead of the trash. Good feedback loop!
Cheers,
Bert
berchman

Postby swierzycki » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Shawn,
I'm having the same issue with the Roku 2 player that I just purchased. I do not have a Roku 1 remote so I can not try the firmware but have tried the other recommended steps. I sent you a PM with my contact info.
swierzycki

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:45 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Before you do, these are the instructions I've been sending out to users with this issue:

2. Perform the update check, and while it's doing that, quickly remove the batteries from the remote, and then replace them
3. Quickly (and I mean the moment you reinstall the batteries) turn the remote over and insure the LEDs blink.

You may have to do this 3-5 times in a row. In CS, we've seen some instances where this procedure worked to get the remote functioning. What I'm guessing is that for whatever reason, the firmware for the remote itself is failing to install properly. Removing the batteries during the update process may help. (You may go so far as to factory reset and do the same steps as above, but I know how painful that can be and won't ask it of you, unless you're feeling adventurous :mrgreen: )

If all of that fails, then definitely send me your contact information, and I'll forward it over to the three people handling these cases. We're getting these non-functional remotes returned and into the hands of the engineer(s) working on why this is happening.

C. Shawn Smith

Please follow the above steps. If they don't work, PM me an update to your previous PM.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby berchman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Before you do, these are the instructions I've been sending out to users with this issue:

Hi Shawn,
Initially I wondered how I was going to do step 1 as the remote wont let me navigate to Settings > Firmware.
I did cycle the power on the Roku 2, then as the Roku logo was bouncing on screen I removed batteries on remote then replaced and looked to confirm LED's blink,
They did.
Then when Roku 2 home screen came online the remote worked as it should. Perfect!

But, this is something that has worked in the past and then I've had the unpaired remote issue for days. So, for now its working, but I know it will "break" again as it has in the past.

What is the resolution on this?

Having to cycle power and "play" with the remote to make it work every couple days is NOT a permanent solution.

Hoping this is some kind of firmware issue that can be pushed out to everyone.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Bert
berchman

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 am

What's the current firmware for the remote? Perhaps some aren't updated?

On my remote pairing screen it says I have
"version: FULL:1.1.2.24"
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby swierzycki » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm still unable to connect the remote to the player. Since I can not connect, I can not update the firmware. I have tried the method of pushing the sync button on the remote and then rebooting the player and it still did not sync.
swierzycki

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:19 pm

swierzycki wrote:I'm still unable to connect the remote to the player. Since I can not connect, I can not update the firmware. I have tried the method of pushing the sync button on the remote and then rebooting the player and it still did not sync.

Perform the full factory reset (this is the final option) by holding the paperclip button down for NO LESS than 30 seconds. As it reboots, perform the steps I mentioned above.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby rokoozie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:26 am

Rather than start a new thread on problems with the Roku 2 XS game remote, I thought I would jump into this one.

I got my new Roku 2 SX today. I have two of the older model and couldn't wait to get my new one. It turned into an afternoon and evening of frustration and even tears a couple times. I won't go into every step of everything I did and tried. Let's just go to the remote. It worked, then it didn't, so I did the pairing, then it worked again, for a short while. Then it didn't again. This time it never recovered. I tried everything listed here. Everything. Everything. Fortunately, earlier, I saw someone suggest using an old Roku remote, so I did that, and at least I was able to use the new Roku and get around....

I think I need to turn this remote in and get a new one. Even then, I don't know how hopeful I am after going through all this and reading of others having similar problems.

Thanks for any help with this!!!
rokoozie

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion