Mog offering unlimited free for Roku users.Like Pandora did.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Mog offering unlimited free for Roku users.Like Pandora

Postby BenjaminNicholas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:28 pm

MOG is good, but it's not Spotify. Not even close. When it comes to a library of music, Spotify beats every other streaming music service by at least 2 million songs.

The problem with any streaming service over Roku is their lack of high-quality streaming sound to the device. Even with a Pandora One, MOG Premium, etc account, they're still not sending a higher-end signal to the Roku. A resouding Meh for me until they can clean this up.
BenjaminNicholas

Postby Saqqara » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 am

Spotify is not on Roku.

Mog's freeplay sound quality excellent in comparison with Spotify's free service.
Saqqara

Postby cwniles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:46 am

BenjaminNicholas wrote:MOG is good, but it's not Spotify. Not even close. When it comes to a library of music, Spotify beats every other streaming music service by at least 2 million songs.

The problem with any streaming service over Roku is their lack of high-quality streaming sound to the device. Even with a Pandora One, MOG Premium, etc account, they're still not sending a higher-end signal to the Roku. A resouding Meh for me until they can clean this up.

Spotify uses one of three quality levels, 96K, 160K and 320K with a disclaimer regarding not all tracks being available at the higher (320K) bitrate.

MOG's subscription stream is set at 320K.

"Meh" huh? I think not.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby hozedhead » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 pm

cwniles wrote:Spotify uses one of three quality levels, 96K, 160K and 320K with a disclaimer regarding not all tracks being available at the higher (320K) bitrate.

Also worth noting is the fact that Spotify streams are encoded with the OGG Vorbis codec, which is not supported by Roku.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby Crow550 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:27 pm

What's to complain about?

Mog is currently offering free unlimited music on the Roku platform. Whether or not it lasts time will tell, but until then just enjoy it. 8)
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

MOG seems very good for clasical listening

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:06 pm

I installed this and set up an account and it is working famously.

My old ears do not hear any improvement over Pandora but they do have one HUGE advantage. In Pandora the classical selections are virtually all just short excerpts rather than whole pieces. This is hugely irritating to a classical music fan. In MOG there are complete symphonies and even entire performances from the great orchestras and performers.

The only issue I have is the display during playing. Titles in classical music are often quite long and the way they are displayed often hides the most important part.
ex.
Adagio for violin and orchestra in E major by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra
is displayed as
Adagio for violin and orchestra in E ma ....
This hides the composer and performance info as well as any other info after the word by. A better format would be to use some of the huge amount of empty space to at least show all the pertinent information.

But even with that flaw MOG is vastly superior to Pandora for classical fans at least.
Gilgamesh

Postby hozedhead » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:28 am

Crow550 wrote:What's to complain about?

Mog is currently offering free unlimited music on the Roku platform. Whether or not it lasts time will tell, but until then just enjoy it. 8)

No complaint here, listening to Southern Harmony now and loving it!
hozedhead

Postby hammerpocket » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 pm

BenjaminNicholas wrote:MOG is good, but it's not Spotify. Not even close. When it comes to a library of music, Spotify beats every other streaming music service by at least 2 million songs.

So they say, but the numbers don't tell the whole story. If, for example, you want to listen to Pink Floyd or Bob Dylan -- major artists with huge catalogs -- you'll find everything on Mog and virtually nothing on Spotify.

I can't confirm this, but I have heard that the track count for Spotify is international and many of those songs may not be available in the U.S.
hammerpocket

Postby abarilla » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

hammerpocket wrote:

So they say, but the numbers don't tell the whole story. If, for example, you want to listen to Pink Floyd or Bob Dylan -- major artists with huge catalogs -- you'll find everything on Mog and virtually nothing on Spotify.

I can't confirm this, but I have heard that the track count for Spotify is international and many of those songs may not be available in the U.S.

I agree with this. About 1/3 of the songs I listen to on MOG are not available on Spotify. Also, although MOG's Android app leaves something to be desired, it works on Android tablets. Spotify's does not.
abarilla

Postby derekjeterss » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:39 am

ok i was a mog user and loved it. i was one of the first napster legal monthly subscribers. ive since used yahoo music, rhapsody(liked the least), grooveshark(excellent possibilities), and then i discovered spotify. What everyone here is missing, what makes spotify great, is it incorporates your own purchased/ripped/????? mp3 collection in with its huge on demand library. whats the big deal? there are no music services that can incorporate metallica, the beatles, acdc, pink floyd, tool, etc, etc, etc with any of its playlists or you subscribe to hear. this alone kills any other services CATALOG SIZE. IF THEY DONT HAVE IT, you can buy it(hopefully) anywhere else and add it to make whole and complete playlists.

Now dont jump down my throat here, i realize even if spotifys streaming service came to roku, these personally owned tracks wouldnt stream to the box. but, the boxes do have usb ports which you can use a flash drive or memory card in a usb reader to store your local music. and the spotify app should/would search out and incorporate these tracks the same way it does on the cpu, & android & ipod devices.

And even if spotify chose not to incorporate local files on a roku app, the fact that its become the music service of choice by my family and almost all my friends who use subscription music services have switched to spotify, having the app on my roku just for streaming spotify licensed content would still be welcomed and should be necessary.

in fact i still have the original box. i have had no reason to upgrade it. but it has no usb port. a spotify app which used the usb port for reasons i mentioned above may be the push i need to purchase a new one.
derekjeterss

Postby djwilso » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 am

I like the on-demand nature of Spotify, especially being able to play any song you want immediately, but I'm too lazy to take the time to build playlists for it. I've never been into taking the time required to build playlists, and that's why I like Pandora so much. With Pandora, you just start it up and it plays music that you probably like for you.

Can this be done with Spotify? I want the best of Pandora and Spotify together.
Roku 3 [Wired] 1GN381037973 -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-2809CI -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-80LE844U
ISP: Cox Communications, 25mbps down / 5mbps up
Router: Netgear R6300 V1.0.2.70_1.0.50
Cable Modem: Motorola SB6121
Time zone: Arizona (UTC-7)
djwilso

Postby derekjeterss » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:49 pm

spotify has an artist created channel feature like mog or pandora. at least on the windows app. not sure if the android or ipod versions do. i dont like killing my data caps via streaming when im out of the house. so i simply use offline mode which only plays my phones downloaded mp3's and the spotify tracks i "made available offline" aka downloaded. will the future spotify channel also have artist radio stations?? if it didnt, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me. besides, i can use pandora or mog if im in "discovery mode". TO BE CLEAR, i am a happy SPOTIFY premium subscriber. i dont mind paying 10 usd monthly for the availability of their library intantly and on demand anywhere i am on my android. the free use of mog havs got me using it again on roku because i can simply turn it on from my couch. But all of my current playlists are all on spotify and i am pushing roku and/or spotify to put a channel on the roku for that very convienience. Im not a techie so when someone tells me the roku cannot read the "code" spotify uses, that is not a suitable answer. My brother just bought a "logitech" thing with google tv. Guess what, he has spotify on his tv. He paid less than 100 BUCKS FOR IT. I was considering a new Roku but i may have to switch. Id hate to buy the wrong box because of one channel but gotta go where my channels are.
derekjeterss

Postby hozedhead » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 pm

There is no future Spotify channel. MP3 shouldn't confuse any tech-challenged individuals. It ain't gonna happen unless Spotify changes their streaming format. If you think you should buy a Logitech box in order to stream Spotify at home, by all means do so. I thought this thread was supposed to be about MOG. :roll:
Last edited by hozedhead on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hozedhead

Postby Crow550 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:39 pm

hozedhead wrote:There is no future Spotify channel. MP3 shouldn't confuse any tech-challenged individuals. It ain't gonna happen unless Spotify changes their streaming format. If you think you should buy a Logitech box in order to stream Spotiy at home, by all means do so. I thought this thread was supposed to be about MOG. :roll:

The Logitech box is dead as in Logitech has no plans to support it. They are not happy on the cash they wasted. As for Google TV.... Kinda on life support? Until they get good hardware support to get in peoples living rooms. I thought Vizio was going to add it in there TVs as Via Plus but I haven't seen any support yet. Also heard LG plans to use it too. So well see?

This thread is on how Mog is offering unlimited free play for the Roku platform.

if you like Pandora & Spotify cool. You can use more than one service or stick with those if you like.

This is just about how Mog is offering unlimited free play like Pandora did.

;)
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Postby danat275 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 pm

spotify offers lots of music yes,but MOG has much more content,and has box sets to many artist,and other services doe not!!i tried spotify and rdio.and MOG by far has them all beat..
danat275

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion