Error code 014

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Error code 014

Postby MrBeer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 pm

I just got my Roku XS yesterday, set it up with hdmi cable, set up the wireless with no problems, watched a movie on. Netflix, watched some old tv on hulu and thought this is great. Today, I tried to go to. Netflix and it would not connect. Went to set up and reset the unit but I am unable to connect to the wireless router. I see tha this seem seems to be a big problem with the Roku 2 in this area.
Any help would be appreciated.
Router is Netgear WNDR3800
MrBeer

Re: Error code 014

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:16 pm

First, just try moving the box around a bit. If it's local RF interference, that's sometimes enough to fix it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby MrBeer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Tried that and everything else. Will return unit to Costco and foget about Roku.
MrBeer

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45029#p305992

That code 014 error can result from a failure to ping the router. Make sure that LAN-side ping (ICMP) is enabled in your router.

--Mark

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby lcfree89 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:16 am

I found a solution to resolving the infamous code 014 issue that I haven't seen anywhere else.

1) Connect your Roku to your modem via Ethernet connection.
2) Complete setup of Ethernet connection.
3) While Ethernet connection is active, go back and choose the wireless connection option.
4) After choosing the wireless option, choose your network.
5) Input your password.
6) Voilà! :mrgreen: You should now be connected to your wireless network.

**Disclaimer**
This is only one solution of many. A number of issues may be causing the code 014.
If this solution has been posted somewhere else in the forum, I am sorry for not spotting it earlier and referencing it.
If this particular solution isn't working for you, please feel free to ask for more assistance!
lcfree89

Postby cknight109 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:17 pm

I just purchased the basic Roku 2 HD, I have three previous ROKU "1" devices and never had any issue of connectivity. I connect to the Roku 2 fine out of the box; factory setting, updates are downloaded the device reboot, no more wireless connectivity error code 14. This model does not have an ethernet connection. However on the initial connection the ROKU2's MAC address is registered in my router ( DLINK DIR-615) which is 18 " from the Roku2 device. Something in the upgrade alters the process of connecting via wireless. Not sure what other setting in the router to tweak that will make a difference

angry Charles in Maitland, Fl.
cknight109

Postby pokecore » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:39 pm

cknight109 wrote:I just purchased the basic Roku 2 HD, I have three previous ROKU "1" devices and never had any issue of connectivity. I connect to the Roku 2 fine out of the box; factory setting, updates are downloaded the device reboot, no more wireless connectivity error code 14. This model does not have an ethernet connection. However on the initial connection the ROKU2's MAC address is registered in my router ( DLINK DIR-615) which is 18 " from the Roku2 device. Something in the upgrade alters the process of connecting via wireless. Not sure what other setting in the router to tweak that will make a difference

angry Charles in Maitland, Fl.

I'm having the same problem :( If I don't get it fixed by sunday I'm gonna return mine.
pokecore

Postby mtn1981 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:36 pm

I had the same problem, I tried this way:

-go to Settings button on the screen
-choose Factory Reset (don't press Reset button in the back of the box)
-after reset, it will ask you to connect to the network
-enter the wireless network and password

And it's solved. :D Hope this helps you guys.
mtn1981

Postby Heyitsrick » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:03 am

This obviously won't fix the current 014 issue, but a possible workaround for those willing to give it a shot is to get a pair of "ethernet over powerline" units. I have the Netgear XAVB101's, myself. This gives me a "wired" connection from the router (several rooms away) to the Roku in my living room. Works great for me. Your mileage may vary.

A search of this forum alone shows that several. with the Dir-615 router have had issues with Roku devices.
Heyitsrick

Postby jleslie246 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:25 pm

My kids each got one for Christmas. Tried the first one and had all the problems above. Nothing works. Tried the second one and I was done in under a minute. Worked flawlessly! Trying other one now right at my router and same issues. Hook up ethernet cable and it works fine. Try to configure wireless and problems persist. Sounds like I got a bad unit?
jleslie246

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Could be local interference. I'd try one that wasn't connecting in the same location as the one that connected OK and see what happens.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby overtimeman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:36 am

Well all three of my N1100 have been working fine but the one in the living room when I turned it on last night wasn't connected to my router.Well i kept getting the code 014 showing as reason it won't connect.I've tried the reset on the bottom,factory reset,resetting my modem/router/N1100 and restarting them in that order still no go.Tried it wired and it worked just fine and tried the suggestion of setting up wireless that way and still no go.I manually entered the mac address and turned of the firewall with no luck.It worked fine wireless since August 2010 and my other N1100 are working great wirelessly.Even my son's PS3 is working great wireless.If anyone has any more suggestions I'm open to all!Scratching my head on this one!Nothing is on when I try to get connected so I know it's not that.Nothing has been changed on the router besides entering mac address and turning off the firewall.Just out of the blue so to speak. :shock:
I used to have a life before Roku!
overtimeman

Postby wardo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 pm

I have a Roku 2 XS and still can't get it to connect to my wireless router.

After trying to connect thru WiFi with no luck, I connected up thru Ethernet to install the latest updates. Tried again to connect up thru WiFi and I still get the 014 error. So, I tried a factory restore and still could not connect thru WiFi. I then pulled the power cord and waited for over 30 seconds, plugged it back in, Roku device booted up, and still got the error 014 when trying to connect thru WiFi.

I've tried everything that other folks suggested in this forum and nothing worked.

My router shows that it has assigned the Roku device and IP address, which is strange to me because obviously the router and the device are talking but the connection is just not being fully established.
Settings for my WiFi network
Router - Trendnet TEW-672GR
SSID Broadcast - Disabled
Security Mode - WPA2-PSK
Security Cipher - AES
MAC Filtering - Enabled

This is my second Roku device but my first one is hard wired (Ethernet) so I never had to mess with the wireless connection settings but luckily I bought the Roku 2 XS with a gift card that was given to me so I wont be returning it. I'm using a TRENDnet 500 Mbps Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit instead of the wireless. The PowerLine Ethernet adapter works great! I'm actually using four of them throughout my house.

But even though I like the Roku devices I have to say not being able to use the wireless networking is pretty pathetic! I would recommend returning the device and buying a wireless capable blue ray player. I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 player and it works great wirelessly.
Last edited by RokuShawnS on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Affiliate Links NOT allowed on the forums.
wardo

Postby RokuMarkn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the 014 error indicates a failure to ping the gateway. Make sure LAN-side pings (ICMP) are enabled in your router.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby elorimer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:51 pm

While that router has a lot of flexibility, it doesn't look to have a setting for ICMP ping.

Do you have the wireless MAC address of the Roku entered in the router? I'm thinking the DHCP lease you see in the router is from when you made the Ethernet connection, and the wireless connection isn't being made. The MAC filter is only on the wireless side, so even with it enabled you could make the Ethernet connection. Easiest: turn off the MAC filter and see if you make the connection. Also SSID broadcast on, initially.
elorimer

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion