WHAT DO I NEED?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

WHAT DO I NEED?

Postby SMCCO54998 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 pm

We are going to purchase a Roku2 sx but I need more information before doing anything. Can I cancel my cable service and use only Roku or do I still need cable for local channels or any unforeseen items Rolu doesn't have.

We really want to reduce our cable bill and hope Rpku will do it.

Thanks
smcco54998
SMCCO54998

Re: WHAT DO I NEED?

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 pm

You will, at the bare minimum, need an internet connection.

Depending on your viewing habits, not every show you currently watch will be available on the Roku. It's a paradigm shift in how you watch television, and it's always been advised by cable-cutters that you wait a few months before taking that step, so you can adjust to it.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 pm

SMCCO54998 wrote: Can I cancel my cable service and use only Roku or do I still need cable for local channels or any unforeseen items Rolu doesn't have.

i love my roku[s] and did eventually cut off directv, but only after i realized that i was paying about $4 a month for each of the shows i did watch. i decided to get the few local channels i can over the air and cut the cord. i'm in a rural area so i don't get much over the air, you might fare better with that. check http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx for what channels you might be able to get OTA if you haven't already.
i am not a sports fan so i don't worry about limited sports options on roku. a lot of sports fans find that they do miss some of the content they could get from cable. there are channels for MLB, NHL and NBA but NFL isn't likely to be on the way anytime soon.

with netflix, hulu plus and a couple of other very inexpensive roku channels i now have an entertainment bill just under $20 a month.
the biggest gaps for me: BBCAmerica programming, some of which i can buy per show on amazon VOD, and CBS. i need to watch CBS programs via the computer.

do you have any particular shows you feel would be must-haves? maybe the roku community can tell if we know your programs are available on roku
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby sharpedge » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 am

SMCCO54998 wrote:We are going to purchase a Roku2 sx but I need more information before doing anything. Can I cancel my cable service and use only Roku or do I still need cable for local channels or any unforeseen items Rolu doesn't have.

Thanks
smcco54998

If your internet provider is your cable company then you can still get all the local channels for free without a cable box if your tv has a QAM tuner, which most modern TV's do.
sharpedge

Postby Buckeye911 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:30 pm

sharpedge wrote:
SMCCO54998 wrote:We are going to purchase a Roku2 sx but I need more information before doing anything. Can I cancel my cable service and use only Roku or do I still need cable for local channels or any unforeseen items Rolu doesn't have.

Thanks
smcco54998

If your internet provider is your cable company then you can still get all the local channels for free without a cable box if your tv has a QAM tuner, which most modern TV's do.

Apparently this is no longer true. About a month ago all the QAM channels disappeared on my setup. I receive my internet service through the Cox Cable.
Buckeye911

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:
sharpedge wrote:If your internet provider is your cable company then you can still get all the local channels for free without a cable box if your tv has a QAM tuner, which most modern TV's do.

Apparently this is no longer true. About a month ago all the QAM channels disappeared on my setup. I receive my internet service through the Cox Cable.

Same with Time Warner. They're my internet provider, but all channels, even local ones, are filtered when I hook the cable up to my TV.
mikebdoss

Postby scyber » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:02 pm

IIRC, in order to block unencrypted local channels to internet users, cable companies need to manually install a "trap" on the line. This will block the TV signal but allow the internet signal to pass through. Since this requires a technician to go to the box in your neighborhood to do, sometimes cable companies do not automatically install the trap. They will wait till the next time a tech is at your box (for a neighbors service for example), and have them install it then. Sometimes the trap never gets installed.

FYI, this is one of the main reasons the cable companies are petitioning the FCC to let them encrypted local channels. So they don't need to manually install traps for non-tv internet subscribers.
scyber

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:10 pm

To get local channels with TW you need the 8 dollar a month broadcast cable. Some areas refer to it as basic where others still say basic is the 30 or so channel package.

That 8 dollars gets you local channels, HD versions, digital over the air channels, Hallmark, Lifetime, usually a few local news or public access channels, etc.. As far as encrypting channels, I wish the FCC would ban encryption. I have a digital TV so why do I need a cable box. It totally ruins the idea of having a nice TV to me. I'm not sure how TW works but usually they convince people to keep paying the 8 dollars. Where I live they used to require it to give you internet service but if you insist I think you can get out of it.

I've noticed that one wire coming in is supposed to be internet (as labeled by the tech) but it doesn't really seem to matter. All the wires can carry internet as all carry the TV signals. I know from moving my modem and TV to each others spot during a (failed)redecoration attempt. I was told that putting the filter or trap on the internet line gives you better internet. Apparently not. The urban legend is that if you complain about inconsistent internet that a tech will often remove the filter thinking it could be bad and not put a new one on. I doubt that really works however.

To the OP, you are thinking of the Roku in the wrong way. It's not like cable at all. It's more like a library of DVDs.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby SMCCO54998 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks for the responces, we think we'll hold on to the basic pkg until we figure out what we need/want.
SMCCO54998

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:To get local channels with TW you need the 8 dollar a month broadcast cable. Some areas refer to it as basic where others still say basic is the 30 or so channel package.

"Broadcast" for Time Warner in my area is $24.50/month (http://www.timewarnerla.com/pricingguid ... L-0112.pdf). My antenna is much cheaper for now.
mikebdoss

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Dear god man,that's a lot more. I imagine in LA you get more local channels that I do in the sticks.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:11 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Dear god man,that's a lot more. I imagine in LA you get more local channels that I do in the sticks.

100 or so digital (20+ in HD). Of those, 60% or so are non-English, but it still includes the major networks (and their sub channels), a couple of national old-show channels (AntennaTV, Me-TV, This-TV) and a few PBS affiliates (and their sub channels).

If I had another 10 feet on my antenna (or cared to do the directional work), I could probably get a few dozen more San Diego channels as well (I'm 40 miles south of LA, 90 miles north of SD).
mikebdoss

Postby mommom » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:31 am

Get a cheap over the air antenna to pick up your local broadcast stations,you will be surprised at the beautiful HD quality.We just use cheap indoor antennas.I keep planning to get an outdoor one but have not really had a need.The other night my DD was here with the kids watching tv because we had a storm and it took out her cable and internet.We live way in the sticks and get ABC,NBC,CBS,CW,FOX,PBS 1-2-3,THIS,MY45.
mommom

Postby microlady » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:21 pm

SMCCO54998 wrote:Thanks for the responces, we think we'll hold on to the basic pkg until we figure out what we need/want.

Good Idea. I would like to cut the cable myself but my Antenna channels are not many and my spouse really likes to watch ESPN plus FoxSports Channel for horseracing. Since some sports have gone over to cable digital, like the Golf Channel....right now we use the Roku for movies and some TV shows from the past, but until at least Sports is really available as it is on cable, we have to just wait to let cable go.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby dividebyzer0 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:27 pm

"To the OP, you are thinking of the Roku in the wrong way. It's not like cable at all. It's more like a library of DVDs."

Plus live streaming video, streaming audio and GAMES that no Cable or Broadcast TV can or will provide.
HD-XR model N1101 Firmware 3.1 Bld 1182
Linksys BEFSX41 <==> AT&T ADSL
Channel Master CM-7000 HDTV Tuner
27" RCA ColorTrak circa 1992. Scissors! ---8<-----
dividebyzer0

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion