Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:43 am

mkiker2089 wrote:I suspect there's a reason Roku requires it that we aren't privy to. Most likely they have better terms with the
channel owners since they have an "impulse buy guarantee".

I'm guessing this is it as well. Does Roku want to miss out on some agreements because a few people have issue with the credit card requirement?

That said, all sorts of people have reported seeing "skip this step" in the setup, while others have said that option wasn't given to them. I'd really like to see an answer as to why that is. It could be a browser or cookie issue that's causing this "problem", and Roku is perfectly okay with people not entering their information.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gonzotek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I suspect there's a reason Roku requires it that we aren't privy to. Most likely they have better terms with the
channel owners since they have an "impulse buy guarantee".

I'm guessing this is it as well. Does Roku want to miss out on some agreements because a few people have issue with the credit card requirement?

That said, all sorts of people have reported seeing "skip this step" in the setup, while others have said that option wasn't given to them. I'd really like to see an answer as to why that is. It could be a browser or cookie issue that's causing this "problem", and Roku is perfectly okay with people not entering their information.
Developers that enroll in the Roku Premium Developer program agree to pay Roku 30% of the purchase price, in exchange for Roku : "handling and processing customer payments, developer remittances, customer receipts, customer accounts and sales activity reports". These terms are comparable to Apple's App Store, Google's Android Marketplace, and Amazon Appstore terms(Amazon pays either 70% of the sale price or 20% of the list price, whichever is greater). Apple and Amazon charge a $99 yearly fee to enroll in the program, Google one-time $25 fee, and Roku does offers enrollment in the Premium (and regular) developer programs for free.

Shawn stated that the "skip this step" option only shows up for linking second (and beyond) players to one's account, if you don't already have the payment info on record. In other words, if you've already opted out, you can stay opted out when adding a new Roku.
RokuShawnS wrote:I was just told that the link only works for current users activating another Roku model. New users are still required to enter CC information.

C. Shawn Smith
However, that doesn't jive with TheEndless' experience here.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby Joe2012 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Wow.. I am quite amazed that I need to put my credit card/paypal info prior to use Roku box. I like that idea of "future payment" but it should be optional, indeed. I was thinking to test out the new Roku box and recommend to my friends/family if it's reliable. This is gonna be a stopper somehow...

I just learned from the community that I can remove my paypal information after the account setup. Can you please confirm my paypal information will be deleted of your database?

Many thanks,
Joe2012

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Joe2012 wrote:Wow.. I am quite amazed that I need to put my credit card/paypal info prior to use Roku box. I like that idea of "future payment" but it should be optional, indeed. I was thinking to test out the new Roku box and recommend to my friends/family if it's reliable. This is gonna be a stopper somehow...

I just learned from the community that I can remove my paypal information after the account setup. Can you please confirm my paypal information will be deleted of your database?

Many thanks,

Roku has confirmed on numerous occasions that once you delete your payment information from your account that it is deleted also from their servers.
stratcat96

Postby Joe2012 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:56 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
Joe2012 wrote:Wow.. I am quite amazed that I need to put my credit card/paypal info prior to use Roku box. I like that idea of "future payment" but it should be optional, indeed. I was thinking to test out the new Roku box and recommend to my friends/family if it's reliable. This is gonna be a stopper somehow...

Many thanks,

Roku has confirmed on numerous occasions that once you delete your payment information from your account that it is deleted also from their servers.

Thank you very much!
Joe2012

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Joe2012 wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:

Many thanks,

Thank you very much!

you can also re-add that information at any time in order to make a purchase, and then delete it again once your done
stratcat96

Postby chainsaw61 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:42 pm

i came close to purchasing the roku. the fact that i would have to give out my credit card info turned me off from buying this device. at target next to the roku was the sony smp-n200 i got the last one, it was 80 bucks, when i got home i was up and running in 5 minutes.. streaming netflix, crackle, my video collection from the pc in the next room.. etc. no credit card required. and no need to convert my video files because the sony supports more video formats like xvid, mpeg 1/2/4, mkv.. etc.. like a mini ps3 for video and music.
chainsaw61

Postby hozedhead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:10 pm

chainsaw61 wrote:i came close to purchasing the roku. the fact that i would have to give out my credit card info turned me off from buying this device. at target next to the roku was the sony smp-n200 i got the last one, it was 80 bucks, when i got home i was up and running in 5 minutes.. streaming netflix, crackle, my video collection from the pc in the next room.. etc. no credit card required. and no need to convert my video files because the sony supports more video formats like xvid, mpeg 1/2/4, mkv.. etc.. like a mini ps3 for video and music.

I fail to see the need to post here when you've bought a different product and you're satisfied. This forum is for Roku customers, not haters.
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 pm

hozedhead wrote:
chainsaw61 wrote:i came close to purchasing the roku. the fact that i would have to give out my credit card info turned me off from buying this device. at target next to the roku was the sony smp-n200 i got the last one, it was 80 bucks, when i got home i was up and running in 5 minutes.. streaming netflix, crackle, my video collection from the pc in the next room.. etc. no credit card required. and no need to convert my video files because the sony supports more video formats like xvid, mpeg 1/2/4, mkv.. etc.. like a mini ps3 for video and music.

I fail to see the need to post here when you've bought a different product and you're satisfied. This forum is for Roku customers, not haters.

He just wanted to set up an account so he can complain in a few months that the Roku has a few hundred more channels than his Sony.
mikebdoss

Postby chainsaw61 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 am

mikebdoss wrote:
hozedhead wrote:

He just wanted to set up an account so he can complain in a few months that the Roku has a few hundred more channels than his Sony.

sorry, i just wanted to mention other options, perhaps not better in every aspect. but, whatever.. i see the good and bad with both devices. bottom line, having to have a credit card to use the roku is no good. i'm glad i found this thread because it made me make the choice that was right for me, so hopefully this could be helpful for others trying to make the right choice for themselves and their needs. thank you. good day sir. :roll:
chainsaw61

Postby SueW » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Wow..lots of paranoid people having tantrums for no reason. You don't HAVE to give your CC. Call Customer Service and have them set you up an account without one, put the info in to register and then immediately delete it, attach a Paypal account not linked to anything, or buy a Visa, Mastercard, or AmEx gift card and use that.

Since the ones having the tantrums refuse to accept any of the many alternatives they have, I have to conclude they just want to stir up drama. There's no need to be so paranoid. Amazon has had my CC on file for YEARS and I've never had a single problem. Netflix, iTunes, Dropbox, Slacker Radio, SiriusXM, Barnes and Noble, and several other companies and services have my payment info on file and I've never had a single problem. If there ever was one, I just have to contact my CC company and they will deal with it. I know this because last year I had a fraudulent charge from a hotel, made after I had cancelled my reservation there. They took care of it and I got my money back. All this bashing of the company and naming calling is just ridiculous.
SueW

Postby smartin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:54 am

Your joking, right? I bought this as a gift. And the first thing they want from the person I gave it to is a credit card?! That's just rude and bad business, no matter how many "alternatives", read "hoops you have to jump through" to get around it. There's a real simple way around it. Give people the option to "opt out". The roku is being returned, as I'm sure many more will be. And I'm sure they will lose business as the word gets out.
smartin

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:40 am

smartin wrote:Your joking, right? I bought this as a gift. And the first thing they want from the person I gave it to is a credit card?! That's just rude and bad business, no matter how many "alternatives", read "hoops you have to jump through" to get around it. There's a real simple way around it. Give people the option to "opt out". The roku is being returned, as I'm sure many more will be. And I'm sure they will lose business as the word gets out.

This has been a requirement for a year, and most people don't get their panties in a bunch over it. Roku will survive, regardless of your prognostications.
mikebdoss

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:59 am

If I was a brand new user and was surprised by the credit card requirement for opening a new account I might be a little apprehensive too. That said, I am glad that there are ways to remove the info from the account after it is created easily. What the Roku offers is definitely worth typing your credit card number in for 30 seconds while you're making the account. For those who absolutely will not put up with it, well that's their prerogative but they are missing out substantially. As Mikebdoss said, Roku's required that for a year and probably sold 2 million + boxes since then. There have a blevy of predictions that unless Roku changes that, or adds DLNA, or supports AVI, or adds Vudu, or adds a web browser, etc. that they are going to go belly up. Obviously none of those predictions have panned out. If the box, its limitations, or requirements aren't the right fit for someone then I'm sure there are boxes out there that are better for you.
stratcat96

Postby duster1979 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 am

I'm always a little skeptical when asked for my card info, so I'm glad I saw this thread before setting up my Roku. That being said, I don't have a credit card, just a debit card. I check my transactions online daily, and my relationship with my bank is such that if I call them and tell them something is bogus they' reverse the charge without question. So my concern with giving out the information is more about trying to minimize my electornic footprint thanabout someone possibly trying to clean out my account.

I'll likely do as someone suggested, use my Paypal account that seldom has more than enough money in it to cover my monthly eBay fees and Netflix bill and is linked to a local checking account that usually only has enough in it to cover the Netflix bill if my Paypal account is low.
duster1979

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion