MKV, fully working?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

MKV, fully working?

Postby Pyro2011 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:30 am

I just read an article indicating Roku 2 players will have MKV playback, is this correct?

The only thing stopping me from switching from this HORRIBLE Boxee Box is streaming MKV playback...
Pyro2011
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:27 am

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby destruk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:50 am

Roku doesn't stream MKV - it reads it from an attached local USB device. Sorry.
User avatar
destruk
 
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby Pyro2011 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:37 am

Bleh, I am really ready to hop on board. Have there been any discussions about streaming?
Pyro2011
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:27 am

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby gonzotek » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Pyro2011 wrote:Bleh, I am really ready to hop on board. Have there been any discussions about streaming?

Discussions, yes :). Any clear indication that it's coming at a definable point in the future? No. :( My understanding of the mkv format is limited, but it seems that it was designed with file-based http streaming in mind, so it'd really be great if the Roku could support at least that, if not also the 'live' kind of mkv streaming as well. So I wouldn't advise getting the Roku with the expectation that it will support streaming mkv in the future; that may or may not ever materialize and there are other options available now, which fill that niche. On the other hand, it has access to a lot of content not available on other devices, and is one of the least expensive boxes out there, so it might make a good complement to a decent mkv streamer box that otherwise lacks channels the Roku has.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby RickRansom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:30 pm

destruk wrote:Roku doesn't stream MKV - it reads it from an attached local USB device. Sorry.


Just checked Engadget and it's source - the roku blog. LoL

Item number 3 states that: If you have a Roku 2 XS, you can use the USB Media Player channel to play MKV movie files from USB drives. Also, MP4 video playback has improved.

This was just posted yesterday so I'd say this is fairly new news(sounds redundant, wouldn't you say?).

Now all we need to do is wait for the 4.2 update. :lol:
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby kc8pql » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:50 pm

RickRansom wrote:Now all we need to do is wait for the 4.2 update. :lol:

See the first announcement at the top of the forum.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8014
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby RickRansom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 pm

kc8pql wrote:
RickRansom wrote:Now all we need to do is wait for the 4.2 update. :lol:

See the first announcement at the top of the forum.


Sorry, what I meant(or would have wanted to say) was "all we need to do is get the 4.2 update".
Then try out an .MKV file to see it it works flawlessly.
As for me, I tried checking earlier but don't have the update yet - still have the 4.1 so I'll have to wait for it.

Thanks for the quick mention kc8pql. :wink:
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby sharpedge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:27 am

RickRansom wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
RickRansom wrote:Now all we need to do is wait for the 4.2 update. :lol:

See the first announcement at the top of the forum.


Sorry, what I meant(or would have wanted to say) was "all we need to do is get the 4.2 update".
Then try out an .MKV file to see it it works flawlessly.
As for me, I tried checking earlier but don't have the update yet - still have the 4.1 so I'll have to wait for it.

Thanks for the quick mention kc8pql. :wink:


Yes, but the original question was related to streaming MKV's, not playing them back from a USB. My understanding is that the Roku still does not support http streaming of MKV's, so you could not stream an MKV using a channel such as Roksbox that doesn't transcode.
sharpedge
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby Pyro2011 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks for all the information, I will keep tabs on these forums to find out more.

Thanks again.
Pyro2011
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:27 am

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby ds6060 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:02 am

It doesn't make sense to me that the Roku2 would be able to play local MKV files, but not http streamed. I'm going to test MKV streaming today and post back here a solid answer to the question.

edit: Tested MKV http streaming - It works! :D
Last edited by ds6060 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ds6060
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby jmhays » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:43 pm

ds6060 wrote:It doesn't make sense to me that the Roku2 would be able to play local MKV files, but not http streamed. I'm going to test MKV streaming today and post back here a solid answer to the question.


Yes, please do! I am also interested in this answer. I would prefer to "stream" as in play .MKV formatted movies from my local network connection. If I have to pull the files from an attached USB drive I will not bother buying one of these. The device looks interesting, but I need real streaming, not pulling files from an attached USB drive.
jmhays
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby kc8pql » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:19 pm

^ Roku specs usually are exactly what they say, no more no less...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8014
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby gonzotek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:28 pm

kc8pql wrote:^ Roku specs usually are exactly what they say, no more no less...
+1, at least in this case, it is already a confirmed fact that, at present, the mkv support is limited to usb. As for a technical (or other) reason why, I have no idea. Perhaps a Roku employee can explain?
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:36 pm

It may just be me, but I'm not sure what the big hub-bub is over the mkv playback. They still have to be encoded the same way as mp4 files to work, and at least with mp4 they'll all work on iOS devices as well. If I'm wrong please let me know. People saying the mkv files not streaming being a "deal breaker" means that those people probably need a different device anyway for all their local playback/streaming needs
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: MKV, fully working?

Postby gonzotek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:51 pm

stratcat96 wrote:It may just be me, but I'm not sure what the big hub-bub is over the mkv playback. They still have to be encoded the same way as mp4 files to work, and at least with mp4 they'll all work on iOS devices as well. If I'm wrong please let me know. People saying the mkv files not streaming being a "deal breaker" means that those people probably need a different device anyway for all their local playback/streaming needs
An older discussion from another forum about that general topic of mkv vs. mp4 here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=62848

With regard specifically to Roku support for mkv, I tend to agree with you that other devices are more appropriate for home media collectors, with the exception that I cry a little ( ;) ) every time I have to transcode (or even just change container formats) something I want to play on the Roku. It's just a pain, especially with the knowledge that at least a few more formats/containers could be supported in the hardware if the company wanted to spend the money and development time in that direction. I understand where their priorities are, I just hate knowing a thing is possible but not practical :).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
User avatar
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests