Black & White

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Black & White

Postby Nerd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Just bought the Roku 2 XS. Hooked it up to a Sony Trinitron XBR circa 2002.

It is streaming fine, volume is fine but the video is in BLACK & WHITE.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix?
Nerd

Re: Black & White

Postby __5 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Nerd wrote:Just bought the Roku 2 XS. Hooked it up to a Sony Trinitron XBR circa 2002.

It is streaming fine, volume is fine but the video is in BLACK & WHITE.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix?

try this

Go to Home > Settings > Display type > select 4:3 standard.

You may reboot.

If Not,
Try to,
- Connect to a different A/V input on TV.
- Turn OFF all devices - disconnect all cable and power cords – wait 10 min – reconnect & power-up.

Test the TV A/V input w/another STB/VCR.

Good luck!
Last edited by __5 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
__5
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jeffrok » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Actually,.make sure your cables are plugged in correctly. Are you using component (red, green, blue) or component (yellow, red, white)?

Make sure they are plugged into the correct inputs.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby Nerd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks all. Here is what I did with results:

1. Go to Home > Settings > Display type > select 4:3 standard. THEN reboot.
> Same result: Still B&W

2. Connect to different video-in port, reconnect & powered up.

3. Question re: cables "are you using component (red, green, blue) or component (yellow, red, white)?"
> ROKU 2 XS comes with a *single* A/V out connector that splits to (yellow, red, white). On the TV ports, connected (a) yellow to yellow video-in, (b) red to red audio-in, (c) white to white audio-in.
> Same result: Still B&W.

Connecting the yellow to different video-in ports produces scrambled blue or red reception - not good. I had color with this TV hooked up to 1st generation AppleTV; that one had a 5 port out (multicolor3 video out, 3 video in + red/white 2 audio out, 2 audio in)

Maybe need to go to RadioShack & buy a cord with (a) single A/V out (i.e. to hook up to ROKU) and (b) split 5-way A/V-in (hook up to TV with more A/V splits). Sound about right? Wonder if they sell something like that?
Nerd

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Nerd wrote:Thanks all. Here is what I did with results:

1. Go to Home > Settings > Display type > select 4:3 standard. THEN reboot.

2. Connect to different video-in port, reconnect & powered up.

3. Question re: cables "are you using component (red, green, blue) or component (yellow, red, white)?"
> ROKU 2 XS comes with a *single* A/V out connector that splits to (yellow, red, white). On the TV ports, connected (a) yellow to yellow video-in, (b) red to red audio-in, (c) white to white audio-in.
> Same result: Still B&W.

Connecting the yellow to different video-in ports produces scrambled blue or red reception - not good. I had color with this TV hooked up to 1st generation AppleTV; that one had a 5 port out (multicolor3 video out, 3 video in + red/white 2 audio out, 2 audio in)

Maybe need to go to RadioShack & buy a cord with (a) single A/V out (i.e. to hook up to ROKU) and (b) split 5-way A/V-in (hook up to TV with more A/V splits). Sound about right? Wonder if they sell something like that?

that's so weird. By any chance do you have another tv you can test the Roku on to see if the Roku is not putting out color at all? If color works on another TV then we know that there's either something with how it's hooked up or how it reacts with the Sony
stratcat96

Postby philsoft » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Are you absolutely certain that the connections are seated completely on both ends?
philsoft

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Come on guys, we get this at least once a month here. He has the video hooked up to the wrong inputs. He's putting the composite output into component input.

You have to use an input that has the three connections ONLY. Those other two colors should have been a dead giveaway that something was wrong.

You can't split that composite into component. Well you probably could buy a converter but it's too expensive and will look like crap. Alas the Roku2 needs HDMI, that's just the way the new copyright rules are written.

edit- I see Jeff had it correct but his typo made it unclear. Component versus composite. Three connections in total versus five.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby Nerd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:26 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Come on guys, we get this at least once a month here. He has the video hooked up to the wrong inputs. He's putting the composite output into component input.

You have to use an input that has the three connections ONLY. Those other two colors should have been a dead giveaway that something was wrong.

You can't split that composite into component. Well you probably could buy a converter but it's too expensive and will look like crap. Alas the Roku2 needs HDMI, that's just the way the new copyright rules are written.

edit- I see Jeff had it correct but his typo made it unclear. Component versus composite. Three connections in total versus five.

Of course. This all makes sense. I was hooking up to the "DVD" ports -- in your lingo, those were "component" ports. Rehooked all 3 of them into what the TV recognizes as "VHS" ports -- in your lingo those were the "composite" group. That corrected the problem. Seeing color; looks great!

Thanks to all for your help!!!
Nerd

Postby jeffrok » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:16 am

Me and my <Force equals mass times acceleration> typos :lol:
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby Mariaehel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Ok, help....i have read carefully everyone's input here...no pun intended...and i am still
streaming in black and white...i have tried every yellow/white/red input or output on my vcr/vsh ....the white/yellow/red combo on the tv itself...which won't work at all since hooked into cable tv and vcr.....
and still can't change the black and white streaming....
no one at Roku seems to know what could be going on...and i did exchange the roku box just in case....
any other ideas other than to get a new tv as it could be the video isn't working? (then why showing anything at all)
Mariaehel

Postby kc8pql » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:47 pm

What's the brand and Model Number of your TV? We need to look up the manual.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby philsoft » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Mariaehel wrote:Ok, help....i have read carefully everyone's input here...no pun intended...and i am still
streaming in black and white...i have tried every yellow/white/red input or output on my vcr/vsh ....the white/yellow/red combo on the tv itself...which won't work at all since hooked into cable tv and vcr.....
and still can't change the black and white streaming....
no one at Roku seems to know what could be going on...and i did exchange the roku box just in case....
any other ideas other than to get a new tv as it could be the video isn't working? (then why showing anything at all)

You can not stream through the VCR, you will need to connect the Roku directly to the TV.
philsoft

Postby Mariaehel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

I have a ten or fifteen year old Toshiba model # CZ27T31
I have tried connected directly to the red/white/yellow on back of TV but have a blank
screen ....my TV only allows switching to TV or VCR
and i have cablevision...i even tried the red/yellow/white ports on cable box.....i do see the blue and green ports and
am wondering if the roku 2 won't work on this.....
Mariaehel

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:04 pm

your manual says press TV/Video button on the remote, or on the TV set to cycle through your inputs. There is only one set of red/white/yellow inputs on the back of your TV, so if you have multiple devices with that type of output, in order to plug them all in at once you need a switch.
stratcat96

Postby __5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Mariaehel wrote:I have a ten or fifteen year old Toshiba model # CZ27T31
I have tried connected directly to the red/white/yellow on back of TV but have a blank
screen ....my TV only allows switching to TV or VCR
and i have cablevision...i even tried the red/yellow/white ports on cable box.....i do see the blue and green ports and
am wondering if the roku 2 won't work on this.....

- turn TV off.
- Unplug A/V (red/white/yellow) cables from TV/Roku
- Do a factory reset (on roku) - Use a paper clip to press and hold button on the back of the Roku for at least 30 seconds.
- wait 10 min
- unplug power cord from Roku
- plug back A/V (red/white/yellow) cables to TV/Roku
- Plug back power cord to Roku
- turn TV on

Good Luck.
__5

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion