Google Chrome?? Web Browser..

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Google Chrome?? Web Browser..

Postby fibercarbon » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:05 pm

When will Roku Have a web browser? id love to see Google Chrome"With Flash Support".
Also support for android phones would be nice since iOS has it... i dont own anything with iOS...
Thanks!! :D
fibercarbon

Re: Google Chrome?? Web Browser..

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:09 pm

The short answer is probably never. The box doesn't have the horsepower to run a full featured browser.
It's just an inexpensive decoder box.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:15 pm

^ What he said, Also Roku is probably not particularly interested in opening up the can of worms that comes with having a box that allows access to the whole web and displays the sites on the TV.

The biggies like CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and Hulu do everything they can to keep Roku like devices from directly displaying their full content on a TV.
Gilgamesh

Postby fibercarbon » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:^ What he said, Also Roku is probably not particularly interested in opening up the can of worms that comes with having a box that allows access to the whole web and displays the sites on the TV.

The biggies like CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and Hulu do everything they can to keep Roku like devices from directly displaying their full content on a TV.

lame....

https://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=aup-lite
i did notice ever since ive used my Roku my comcast Internet bandwith has been blowing past the 250GB PER Month
i have been using like 500GB + per month using my computer and roku streaming.... WTF should i do???

Updated Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

It's no secret we've been evaluating a specific monthly data usage or bandwidth threshold for our Comcast High-Speed Internet residential customers for some time. Rumors circulated online last year and they popped up again in May.
In January, we added new frequently asked questions about what we consider acceptable use of our service to our online Help site customer.comcast.com and Security Channel page http://www.comcast.net/security.
We've listened to feedback from our customers who asked that we provide a specific threshold for data usage and this would help them understand the amount of usage that would qualify as excessive. On October 1, 2008, we amended our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) available at http://www.comcast.net/terms/use/ to establish a specific monthly data usage threshold of 250 GB/month per account for all residential customers

here is a screenshot in my account under
USERS & Settings

also seems like they will terminate my service from what i read:

http://www.comcast.com/corporate/custom ... irect=true
fibercarbon

Postby Mark12547 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:11 am

fibercarbon wrote:i did notice ever since ive used my Roku my comcast Internet bandwidth has been blowing past the 250GB PER Month
i have been using like 500GB + per month using my computer and roku streaming.... WTF should i do???

My usage has been running around 70GB/mo but it would probably be about double that if I wasn't also doing discs (I'm also on the 6-disc plan), and maybe triple that if I didn't have other activities.

Without knowing what you are doing, it's sometimes hard to make concrete recommendations, so some of these ideas might not apply.

• When not watching any shows (or listening for audio-only channels), return the Roku to the top menu. (Even in the Netflix channel, there are periodic checks to make sure the queue is up to date, which take cycles that it wouldn't take if you were completely out of the Netflix channel.)
  • Don't use Roku screen savers that require frequent updates over the web. (I just use the clock display.)
  • Don't use high-def feeds when you don't need to. A high-def stream could use 1.5 to 2.5 times the bandwidth of a standard definition stream. While a high-def stream often does look better, it often isn't really needed for TV shows and might not make any significant difference on screen clarity for shows originally recorded for the old 480i TV sets. On the old Roku boxes ("Roku 1"), a hidden screen could change this; however, for Netflix on the Roku 2 boxes, this has to be changed on the Netflix web site under "Your Account & Help" -> "Manage video quality", and it takes a few minutes for the change to propagate to the CDNs and then it affects streams started after that point.
  • If your router is serving wireless connections, make sure it is secured. If it isn't secured, you may be providing Internet services to a neighbor or even to some mystery car parked across the street. (My neighbor occasionally notices intrusion attempts, but with our condos it isn't easy to figure out where the attempt may be coming from, or even if it is coming from the low-income apartments on the other side of the fence.)
  • Make sure your computers are running a decent anti-virus program (and also a decent anti-spyware program). Some computer viruses are involved in spamming or making computers "zombies" for denial-of-service attacks on various servers, and a spambot or zombie virus could generate a lot of Internet traffic.
  • If your PC backups are being done over the web, consider the type, frequency, and scope (size) of backups; maybe the backups could be less frequent, or just incrementals instead of full for the daily backups and use the full backups weekly or monthly. Comcast does offer a backup service over the web but they warn that the bytes transferred as part of the backup process count against one's byte quota.
  • If transferring lots of large files frequently, maybe consider if they could be compressed before transfers.
  • If volume cannot be cut back, maybe consider a "business class" service through Comcast.
Mark12547

Postby gearcrasher » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:30 am

Logitech spent $100 million and failed to make a successful streaming box with a browser. Mostly I think because people would rather surf on their laptops and tablets but use their big screen tvs to watch tv shows! On the other hand my cellphone has a decent browser built in. I have no idea what Roku's future product plans are but bet they are not ruling out a browser. Are you listening in Redmond?
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21
gearcrasher

Postby mattjfox » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:38 pm

This is complete BS. The Roku is plenty powerful enough to handle a web browser. The web can be scaled down to just display text. This is just crap is what it is. It ruins the whole experience for me. I want web and content. Why has it been so hard to get Internet on TV. It should have been in TVs years ago. So sick of sitting in front of a computer.
mattjfox

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 pm

mattjfox wrote:This is complete BS. The Roku is plenty powerful enough to handle a web browser. The web can be scaled down to just display text. This is just crap is what it is. It ruins the whole experience for me. I want web and content. Why has it been so hard to get Internet on TV. It should have been in TVs years ago. So sick of sitting in front of a computer.

Get a Google TV. The roku isn't capable of it but the Logitech revue is.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Over a year old thread, and locked. Feel free to start a new thread.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion